“Good place to stay, we would stay again”
Review of Rydges Rotorua

Rydges Rotorua
Ranked #48 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
Cambridge NZ
“Good place to stay, we would stay again”
Reviewed 10 July 2011

We stayed for 1 night in July 2011. The standrd room is huge, the bathroom is huge too. We enjoyed our night & will stay again. Everything clean & tidy, very happy with the Rydges.
Didn't use any of the facilities except for the roof top pool which was great. We were a bit early for check in but no problem there, 11am check out is excellent.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
craig_r_simpson, General Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this review, 12 July 2011
Dear Berniejh,

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. It is always wonderful to hear when people have enjoyed themselves at the hotel.

I do hope next time you stay you have a chance to utilise all the hotel facilities.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Craig Simpson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 4 July 2011

We recently stayed at this hotel for two nights. Didn't start off too great as heating wasn't working. However, they quickly moved us to a similar room on the same floor. Tariff included buffet breakfast which the reception staff advised us on arrival was available at a reduced rate if we purchased it prior to the morning. Breakfast was good except why soy milk is not readily available in this day and age is beyond me.

The hotel, although obviously dated was furnished with period appropriate furniture and it wasn't trying to be some.hing it shouldn't.
Both our rooms were extremely clean and supplied products were of a great standard.

Staff were always helpful, although the bar person was a bit stand
offish and not at all what you would really expect.

We didn't get to use the pool as idiot me forgot my gathers, but the pool and sauna looked inviting.

The smell of Rotorua is off putting and if you are not expecting it a real surprise!! But hey that is nature.

Overall our stay was of a good one and if we ever return to Rotorua we Know where we will be staying.

Oh and the rate we got through wotif was one of the better ones we received for our entire stay in New Zealand.

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank Ann V
craig_r_simpson, General Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this review, 7 July 2011
Dear Mcentee,

Thank you for your comments posted onto trip advisor.

I appreciate you letting us know about the heating issue you had and you will be pleased to hear this has been checked by our maintenance department. Soy milk is available at the hotel. We provide this to the guest upon request.

Thank you for your nice comments about the staff and also your observations about the bar person.

A shame you didn't get to experience the pool as we have many people rave about it. Hopefully next time you get the chance to use all of the hotel facilities.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 29 June 2011

My husband and I stayed here for one night in October 2010. We had selected a room with a spa for a nice relaxation after a long day of driving. When booking, I received a discount for being part of their loyalty program and also government employee discount, and I still thought the price was a little exey for what we actually got.

Pros: heaps of free parking, reception staff knowledgeable, laundry facility
Cons: Room old and needs an update, washing and drying took 4 hours, the Rotorua smell is imbedded into everything

I must admit, I wasn't prepared for the smell when I arrived in Rotorua, I had been warned by friends and from research, but was told by day two I would be used to it. Our hotel room absolutely smelt of Rotorua sulpher, there was no escaping it. The rooms are in desperate need of refurbishment, comparing this hotel to the other Rydges hotels in New Zealand, I was shocked and disappointed, especially for the price I paid, even with the discounted rate.

On the plus side, the bed was comfortable and the room was spacious. The staff were friendly and they were more than happy to provide us with laundry powder, and advised we could do our laundry after 10pm, as there were no guests staying on the floor near the laundry room.

The spa was in a separate room and didn't look very inviting, we didn't end up using it.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cutiebootie45
Dear cutiebootie45,

Thank you for your comments you posted on trip advisor this week.

I have shared these with my managers and staff at the hotel.

The smell of Rotorua is a little stronger some days than others. I am sorry to read this was the main cause for you not to enjoy your holiday while in Rotorua.

I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 28 June 2011

This hotel looked ok from the outside, and the foyer was ok too, but inside the rooms are very tired and dated. The sheets on the bed were almost thread bare! Did not supply sufficient towels, called conceirge and it took them almost an hour to deliver - we were all waiting for showers - so not impressed. Parking was free however, first in first served and it was outdoors parking. Definately, would not stay again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Dear FionaH45,

Thank you for your recent comments on trip advisor.

I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us. You will be pleased to know we have purchased new sheets and extra towels to ensure we have enough items on hand to supply guests with extras when needed.

A lot of people appreciate that our car parking is free and the hotel is easily accessible from the carpark so you don't have to walk around to the front of the hotel.

I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel the next time you are in Rotorua.

Craig Simpson

Travellers are raving about these Rotorua hotels

New Zealand
Reviewed 27 June 2011

Can't fault the staff that we came across. Everyone was pleasant and helpful. My partner and I stayed for 2 nights in a standard room. This was a good size though had two queen beds in it. Would be better with one king size bed for couples. The decor is looking a bit tired, the bathroom had peeling paint on the ceiling and where the sink leaked the tiles were stained. In saying that the room was nice and clean. We had a special deal so the price was very reasonable - not sure of the 'normal' rates. The internet charges were expensive unfortunately so had to go into town to an enternet cafe to use. I would stay there again if the price was right.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear XR6girl,

Thank you for your positive comment about your recent stay with us at the hotel.

You will be pleased to know we are looking at reviewing out internet prices in the coming month which will make it more appealing to use this service.

Our deluxe rooms have either two queen beds or one king bed in them. The next time you stay please just ask the reservation department at the time of booking or call the hotel before you arrive to request a king bed room and we will be more than happy to ensure this happens.

I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 19 June 2011

I have just returned from a lovely 2 night stay at Rydges Rotorua. I was lucky enough to have a Grabone voucher and I was very impressed with the deal - comfortable room with 2 queen beds and late checkout, buffet breakfast for 2 people and $50 towards a meal in the hotel restaurant.

The breakfast was exceptionally good with a diverse range of hot and cold food, all of which was excellent quality. I can also thoroughly recommend the vegetarian pizza in The Atrium restaurant - possibly one of the best I've ever tasted. Additional positives include the friendly staff and of course the heated rooftop pool, of which we made good use.

I was suprised the hotel had no wi-fi as even backpacker hostels now provide this service. Internet access was available in rooms via hardline connection or in the lobby but both options were expensive and not nearly as convenient.

Some small things I didn't like so much include that the hot water in my room was erractic and the room and general hotel decor (with the exception of the Atrium) was a little dark and dated. Some of the gym equipment was faulty and the pool roof had moss growing on the inside and constantly dripped with condensation.

I would stay at Rydges again if another voucher deal came up but I would expect a bit more 'wow' from a 4.5 star hotel if I was paying full price.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank razorsharp2505
craig_r_simpson, General Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this review, 20 June 2011
Dear razorsharp2505,

Thank you for your feedback you posted on Trip Advisor and I am please to read how you enjoyed your stay.

We do gain a lot of positive feedback on our buffet breakfast selection and I am pleased you felt the same.

You will be pleased to note we are actually looking at making changes to our WiFi and Internet options in the entire hotel to be in line with other offerings people are providing around the region. Along with this is an upgrade of the gym and other areas in the hotel.

I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel again in the future.

Once again thank you for your feedback.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 19 June 2011

We stayed in 2 king spa suites which was spacious but very dirty and outdated!!!... one of the bathrooms had mold everywhere, the spa area had rust on the tap handle and was all brown inside the spa. Both heaters in the room were broken and when maintenance people came in, they said they couldn't fix it so they brought a small heater in the room which was meant to heat up the spa area,separate bedroom and the living area???? The other room had a broken tv in it and maintenance couldn't fix this problem either!!! although we complained to receptionist there was no compensation... will not be going back there and strongly advise you to not waste your money or time here!!!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Mulipola
Dear Iapesa,

It is with great sadness I read your feedback on Trip Advisor and the comments you made. I would certainly like to know who you spoke with at reception as any issues should be followed up by the staff. For this not to happen is not up to a standard I would expect.

I do know as we move into the winter months our radiator heaters are all been turned on and some of them do need 'bleeding' to ensure they are working to their full capacity. I apologies it does look as though a couple of these have not been completed.

I can ensure you there is no rust in the bathrooms - it is in fact sulphur corrosion which is caused by the sulphur in Rotorua. We are starting a preventive maintenance program to go through all rooms to replace any taps and shower head which have suffered from this.

Again I do apologies for the problems you experienced during your stay and please be assured I will be following up with my staff on the issues you expressed.