“Most comfortable room we had in NZ”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Rydges Rotorua

Rydges Rotorua
Ranked #44 of 93 Hotels in Rotorua
Cape Coral, Florida
“Most comfortable room we had in NZ”
Reviewed 13 February 2012

Wow, reading the negative reviews of this hotel, I can't believe we were staying in the same place. We loved the very large, airy room with a balcony overlooking the race course. It had a spacious comfortable lobby area. The room had plenty of electrical outlets (something we found hard to come by in NZ), a nice desk and chair for journal writing, eating table, a large bathroom with a corner jacuzzi tub, making for a roomy shower. The desk staff competent, friendly and helpful. My wife especially appreciated the free laundry facility in a comfortable laundry room. The breakfast buffet, included with our room, was also very good, offering eggs, sausage, bacon and beans as well as assorted cold items. My wife did comment on how cold the dining room was.

I did downgrade the hotel a star because of the scandalously expensive internet, no wi-fi in the room, and the fact that we returned at 3:00 PM, after being gone from early morning, to find no maid service. But over all, we enjoyed our stay and would return to this hotel in a minute.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Jemmel R, Front Office Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this review, 1 March 2012
Many thanks for your comments PhilipHenry, it was great to read that you enjoyed your time with us and was pleasantly surprised to read your comment about the amount of electrical outlets in the room.

You will be happy to read that our GM is currently in discussions with out internet provider to 'sharpen' the rate so hopefully on your next stay we should have that and the housekeeping issues sorted.

Again, many thanks.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 8 February 2012

I stayed here with my partner and her mum for one night last November. The place was great. There is lots of space, a spa bath, tv, wifi etc. It was very clean and tidy and the staff were really helpful. It is quite central but not right in the city, which is a 5 min drive away. The internet is rediculously expensive, so bring your own laptop or go into town.
We got a deal to stay there so Im not sure what the price is like compared to other places.
Overall it is a good place to stay and I would recommend it.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Jemmel R, Front Office Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this review, 23 February 2012
Hi KiwiWade

Thanks for the recommendation!! You'll be happy to hear that our GM is working on the costing of the Internet and hopefully soon we'll have a minimal charge with WIFI through-out the hotel so the next time you're in town you won't have to make the trip into town.

Again many thanks

Regards
Accra, Ghana
Reviewed 31 January 2012

we spent one night in Rotorua in December and stayed at the Rydges Hotel. we were a party of 6 (2 families with 1 grown up child each) sharing 2 rooms.The lady at the check-in desk was less than friendly, but not enough to dampen our mood. The hotel itself was adequate; the lobby was nice, the corridors upstairs looked a little worse for wear, but the rooms were huge with 2 double beds, a small balcony, good size bathroom with a huge bath. A view of the racecourse rounded things off nicely. We didn't spend too much time in the hotel the 1st day and left after breakfast the next morning, which was fine. Since you don't visit Rotorua just to hang out in your room, it was not a bad place to spend the night.....

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Jemmel R, Front Office Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this review, 1 February 2012
Hi 306anon

Thank you for commenting on your stay with us, I'll be having a word or 2 with the 'lady at the desk' regarding your check in but great to read that it didn't dampen your mood. The deluxe rooms are a good size for family groups with the 2 Queen sized beds, spa bath and deck overlooking the racecourse plus the space that these rooms offer.

Reading you comments also gave me the impression that you were on the go and had quite alot of sightseeing to do, excellent for the local economy - hope you enjoyed yourselves if this was the case.

Thanks again for your comments, and hopefully we'll be able to see you in the not too distant future.

Kind Regards
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 26 January 2012

I am pleased to say my parents, two children and I had a very pleasant stay at Rydges Rotorua on 16 and 17 January 2012. I chose the hotel because there are rooms that accommodate 3 adults and 2 children, and there was a luge/gondola package available. We were fortunate enough to be upgraded from a standard room to a deluxe room on arrival, so the kids were excited to see the spa bath and the adults enjoyed the deck overlooking the racecourse. We found our room really clean. I am quite picky and couldn't fault it at all, so our thanks to the housekeeping staff.

We enjoyed breakfast in the Atrium restaurant, although I must say that they seemed a little understaffed. There was always someone around to help you, but things like the state of the floors and food running out were not addressed as quickly as they could have been. I thought the food was quite good - there was not a huge selection but everything tasted good and the bacon, eggs and mushrooms were delicious. Dinner was very nice and our young waiter on the Tuesday night very attentive and great with the children.

There were a couple of things that went wrong - we ordered a newspaper which we had to remind staff about when it was not there in the morning, and an advertisement for a dinner special that we saw in more than one place had actually expired almost a month earlier when we asked about having it, and the floor got really bad after a few spills one day at breakfast. If these sorts of little issues were addressed I think it would make a big difference.

I was a bit worried when I read some of these reviews after making my booking, but if I had the same standard of room again and the same friendly service, I wouldn't hesitate to revisit.

Room Tip: Higher floor on the racecourse side.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Jemmel R, Front Office Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this review, 30 January 2012
Hi LisaNewZealand

Great to read that you an your family had enjoyed your time with us. There is plenty of room in those deluxe rooms and having both the spa bath and balcony makes the room that so much nicer.

I have also spoken to the Front Office team and F&B Manager regarding the other issues and it's great to get that feed back in order for us to know where we need to improve to ensure we are providing the correct service levels.

Hope to have you and your family back with us shortly.

New Zealand
Reviewed 21 January 2012

Visited last year (2011) and it seemed "tired". Although all the basics are here it needs a refurb. Staff pleasant enough, food dull but edible.

1 Thank Rotoitifarm

Travellers are raving about these Rotorua hotels

Melbourne
Reviewed 16 January 2012

I agree with the person before me, this place smells is dirty and very outdated, I would rate it as a 2 star hotel. The staff are not helpful, we had breakfast included on our travel documents and they tried to charge me each day, in the end we did not even bother with breakfast. We had no towels in our room on arrival, this place was depressing and it ruined our holiday. The room was very average and did not seem clean at all.

I would not bother staying there.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sanlau
Jemmel R, Front Office Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this review, 19 January 2012
Hi sanlau

Sorry to read that your stay with us ruined your holiday. I have spoken with the other Department Heads about the issues you raised and we are currently working on rectifying these issues.

Thank you for your comments as well, as with out these we are unable to see where we need to improve.

Bristol
Reviewed 16 January 2012

Check in staff helpful
Our room overlooked the race course and this was a good view.
Room was quite large and reasonably clean.
Breakfast was again very average, the coffee really weak. Had around 4 cereals, some fruit mostly canned, the fresh was in whole pieces.
Considering the cost this was the worst value for money of all the places I stayed in 2 weeks in NZ.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Hi Angey

Great to read your review of our property, good in some areas and in need of work in others. I have spoken with both the GM and F&B Manager in regards to your comments and we have taken them all on board and know where we need to improve for the future.

Many thanks and I hope you enjoyed the rest of your journeys.