“A great place to sleep and eat breakfast”
Review of Rydges Rotorua

Rydges Rotorua
Ranked #48 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
Reviewed 11 July 2012

We got a great 'winter warmer' deal which meant our family of four stayed and had full buffet breakfast for much less than a typical hotel or motel would cost. Because of the special deals that are available there are plenty of families staying during the school holidays.
Yes it is a bit dated, and perhaps not up to international 5 star standard but we were very happy. Service was great and we will definitely be back.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 12 July 2012

Many thanks for your comments Austiness

We are working on updating certain parts of the hotel so hopefully next time you stay you would have noticed the differences.

Thanks again

Reviewed 9 July 2012

Avoid school holidays, over run with kids in the pool . Booked on a promotion at 60 % off rack rate. Go early for breakfast as otherwise you have to wait for a table.

Room Tip: Had the very big room with spa bath room on first floor . were very happy with that.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank schrodters
Management response:Responded 12 July 2012

Thanks for your comments and ratings schrodters

We have noticed an increase in the amount of kids around and definately have to agree with you in regards to getting to the restaurant early for breakast, table turn over in the school holiday period is at it's peak so we hope you didn't have too long of a wait.

The spa baths are excellent after a long day so hopefully you were able to get some good use from them and the rest of the facilities.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel

Reviewed 9 July 2012

We got a deal on wotif website so the value for money was great included a free breakfast. The entrance was very nice and the restaurant was airy and spacious. The room was tired looking but clean and tidy. The pool area looks fab on the web but was small, noisy and not what we we're expecting. But overall, we went for a break to Rotorua and this was a great place to base ourselves from. Nice and close to everything and we got good value for money. We will be back.

Management response:Responded 13 July 2012

Many thanks for your ratings and comments chirpychirp

WOTIF.com does have some great deals on it but if you are looking at staying at multiple Rydges properties, may I suggest you become a Priority Guest Member on Rydges.com. You avoid booking fees, earn points towards free nights and get 20% off food and beverage items from the outlets.

Either way you book, we will be happy to host you during your next visit to Rotorua.

Thanks again.

Reviewed 9 July 2012

We recently stayed at the Rydges Rotorua. Our first problem was the dining room chair in our room. We sat on it and just about sat on the floor, it was broken. The furniture was in poorer condition than a student flat. The paint job in the room was unfinished and you could see the old paint in parts, no QA here guys. The spa bath was of a good size, however no matter what we did to the spa bath tap even when on full heat we only got very cool luke warm water out of it. No hot baths here guys. We were told to wait 15 minutes twice for a hotel staff member to address this. The light above our luggage tray was not going and the toilet continually ran water. The TV channels are very limited. Also the bed sheet had a fresh smelling purfume stain on it, obviously they had not been washed in between the last guests and ourselves disgusting what about nits, lice bed bugs etc. The toaster in the dining room was stuffed and people were passing their toast through four times to get even a golden colour appearing. The food wasn't too bad. The dining room furniture was a mismatch of old trestle tables with archiac chairs and the real nice one that were the original fitout. Another ladies comment was that this hotel had gone downhill since last time and she wouldn't stay there again. The toilet bowl was stained from lack of cleaning. The staff were in general lazy, upon arrival I got my luggage out looked at the conceirge and he saw me turned around and walked back to the reception desk to talk to a collegue and watched me struggle in with 2 kids a wife and a pile of luggage. Not what I wwould expect from a 4.5 star hotel.

Room Tip: See the bad ratings first and choose for yourself.
1  Thank Joanne C

Many thanks for both your comments and ratings Joanne C

Quiet clearly we've 'dropped the ball on this one' and I was disappointed to read your comments regarding the hotel.

If you do decide to visit Rydges Rotorua again, hopefully we will be able to show you that your comments are the exception, and not the norm.

Reviewed 6 July 2012

Got a 2 day deal using a Grabone voucher. Due to the school holidays I upgraded to a delux Spa Room for an extra $35 per day. Glad we did as we were 2 adults with two children, and I think the normal rooms weren't that great or very large. Our room, although clean was a bit tired. All the basics as can be expected but no more, and in some cases, a bit less. Only 1 extra pillow, and 1 extra blanket (only sheets and a thin bedspread on the bed). Beds ok, but not the most coomfortable, light over the bed wan't working when we arrived, although maintenance were quick to arrive one I had complained. Went for a swim, but no pool towels. You had to use the towels from your room, so they were all wet when you wanted to have a shower later....go figure. Had to ask for towels after the service the next day as none were replaced.

We were on the 4th floor outside the pool area, which was a bit noisy up to 9.30pm with people going into the pool. The noise started up again at 7am due to kids running around outside the room to get to the pool. It was school holidays.

I had joined the priority rewards, but didn't see the free drinks as promised. Check in went smoothly. We did get a newspaper delivered one morning, The breakfasts were ok, with a reasonable selction of food, but for $25 per person, I was glad ours were complimentary with our package because I'm not sure it would be worth it. We had dinner in the restuarant. the first night was really good with excellent fillet on mash. Unfortunately they did a childrens buffet, which was a bit ho-hum, although free for kids under 12 and included main, dessert and pink lemonade.

The following night dinner took over 45 minutes to arrive, and my calimari was not only dried out and unappetising but miniscule. On check out the 20% food discount for being a priority member was not deducted from the bill, and the desk clerk seemed very offhand and annoyed when I came back to claim $50 because it hadn't been taken off the bill as intended.

Overall the hotel was ok, but not sure how it gets 4.5 stars. For the price we paid, we got a good deal and didnt feel ripped off. Parents, please consider others when you let your kids run wild at 7am or late at night.

Room Tip: Don't choose 408 which is outside the pool! The view over the racecourse is nice, especially fro...

Thank you for your comments and ratings kiki_kiwi_11

A disappointing read and definately not the service levels and standards we set ourselves.

May I suggest to ensure that you get your PGR entitlements for your next stay at a Rydges property, please book via Rydges.com and present your membership card on arrival at the hotel (to get get your complimentary return drink), and also in the restaurant or bar when utilising the outlets (to get the 20% F&B discount).

Reviewed 4 July 2012

The above says it all. I had fairly low expectation when I checked in, but at least expected a clean quiet room which I don’t think is too much to ask for a "4.5 star" hotel as rated on the Rydges Hotel site.

Where should I start, my check-in experience started well after asking for a renovated room which I got. All I can say if that was renovated I am so glad I didn’t get the unrenovated room. The room was knocked about, bathroom door didn’t shut properly and it looked like something out of the 60's with a bad coat of paint. All the chrome was coming off the fittings and the toilet looked like it had 20 years of stains. All that being well travelled I can deal with.. but dirtiness I cant.

Grapes from the past guest on the floor, sticky door handles (on the bathroom I might add), grotty towelling .. not sure if stained or dirty. It was one of those experiences which make you shiver.

I put the sign out for servicing in the morning, It is now 5pm here I am sitting in the bar as it wasnt serviced. When I saw one of the room cleaners her comment "Well wasn’t on my list" like it was my fault. In saying this she did get on and clean it after I looked a little surprised, although had no towels.

Actually the staff are a redeeming feature and have been helpful.

One final gripe, no wireless in the room Ok can deal with (just). Wireless in the lobby.. 76 cents min to a maximum of $30. Let’s work this one out.. I am inconvenienced by having to go to the lobby for wireless and get charged exorbitant rates

So I am not sure where 4.5 stars comes from, maybe 1970. but Rydges from a Kiwi who is well travelled and proud of his country you need to lift your game here.

For everyone eles there are some fantastic other options, I will be looking at these next time.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else

Thanks for your comments Dave-NZ1

Sorry to read that we will be losing you as a customer, obviously what you encounted during your time with us missed the mark by a long way and for that, we do apologise. If you do happen to visit Rydges Rotorua again, I'll sure we'll be able to show you that we can perform well above your previous stay.

Reviewed 3 July 2012

Our second visit to Rydges. The rooms are of a very generous size. We stayed in a deluxe and appreciated the very good "dream Beds" and good quality linen. The rooms have been upgraded (though not to my taste as the furniture seems dated to me, however my parents would like it!) but all was in good order. The rooms are so large an extra chair would be nice to have but the one provided is very comfey. We didnt use the spa as the seperate room it is in always seems cold and uninviting. The rooms have a balconey and a pleasant view over the race course. A little kitchette is ideal for making a "cuppa" but the water is absolutely horrible!! Take your own as the mini bar charges $5 for small bottle!!
The buffet breakfast is very good and the lovely women in charge is great fun. She's been there for 7 years and still has her sence of humour! The buffet has a huge selection and you wont go hungry, it is worth having!. Friday night is happy hour from 5pm with free nibbles but get in quick as people appear from nowhere and the nibbles seem to be vacumed up by the hungry locals!!
Finally we found the front desk staff friendly and helpful, we had a problem with the noise of the uncontrolled children running around from 6am on the floor above us, it was really disturbing, However the staff were quite prepared to speak to the parents for us which we really appreciated but we put air plugs in for the 2nd night and that helped a bit. ( Why do some parents let their children run wild?). Speaking of noise and discounting those children this place is very very quiet, they have created doors that dont slam waking you up from your peaceful slumber all hours of the night as people come and go! I wish all hotels could boast this. This place is not world class, nothing in Rotorua is, but for the very resonable rates they charge it is very good value just dont expect it to be like a Sofitel.

Room Tip: Ask for a newly upgraded room and try for the top floor to avoid noisey kid's running around abo...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Jemmel R, Front Office Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2012

Many thanks for your comments ravinon

We have had some very positive comments about the 'Dream Beds' which over the next week, will be installed throughout the remainder of the hotel so as of this Friday, all guests staying at Rydges Rotorua wiil be in a 'Dream Bed'.

It is great to read that the staff you encounted were very able and it is an area that we are continually working on to ensure that we are able to produce a quality product.

Once again, many thanks and we look forward to having you stay with us in the near future.