“Pleasant surprise”

Ranked #46 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
Rancho Palos Verdes, California
“Pleasant surprise”
Reviewed 10 January 2013

During my recent tour in New Zealand with a tour company, I was not looking forward to my stay in Rotorua. I had stayed there before and couldn't wait to get away from the odor of the sulfur. However, I found that the odor at this hotel was not as intense as the last place I stayed. The room ,was very large and spacious. There was also a jacuzzi tub, which I used and loved. It was a little stuffy, but the ceiling fan worked fine, and I was very comfortable. The hotel is walking distance from the main part of town. I could easily have stayed longer. And I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Siobhan L, Guest Relations Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this review, 14 January 2013
Hi Marilynjl. Thanks so much for taking the time to review your experience with us. It's awesome to hear we were able to make your dreaded stay in Rotorua a pleasant and enjoyable one. Yes, the sulfur smell can certainly be overpowering but, thankfully, where we're situated it's not that strong. Really glad to hear you loved our spa baths, and our convenient location too, and we very much look forward to having you stay with us again in the future. :)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 10 January 2013

I had overseas visitors with me and had assured them that we were booking into a reputable hotel. Reception service was excellent and the rooms were all good, except for the toilet which was stained and could do with a good scrub. From reading the reviews and from what I know of Rydges, I was expecting the breakfast to be good. Very disappointing - a poor selection of items and staff were not topping up items that were finished. The scrambled eggs were the worst I've ever tasted - had to discard after one mouthful. Likewise with the pancakes - they were like plastic, an insult to pancakes!
Would possibly stay here again if I am forced to but would definitely have breakfast elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Hi welltrave11ed. Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with our hotel. I'm glad to hear you found the Reception staff excellent and the rooms of a good standard. I can assure you the toilets are scrubbed everyday but unfortunately over time and due to the sulfur they have become stained. I'm very sorry to hear how disappointing you found the breakfast. We're very proud of our new Buffet breakfast and to hear that it was not of the highest standard is a real shock. I have passed your comments on to the relevant departments who will look into this to ensure no one else has a similar experience.
I do hope you give us another chance so that we're able to change your mind. :)

Travellers are raving about these Rotorua hotels

Reviewed 9 January 2013

I've stayed at the Rydges twice now and enjoyed each stay very much. The rooms were clean, tidy, no offensive smells. All of the facilities worked, including the ceiling fan. The spa and bathroom were well clean. I see comments like the toilets were stained, which is silly. That's just regular wear and tear, and not something that can be scrubbed clean. The rooms are large, and sparse. The beds were AMAZING! They're like sleeping on a marshmellow. Excellent for a good night's sleep. The Mezz bar was also nice for a relaxed drink before dinner. Would happily go back and recommend to others.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Hi Emma M. Thanks so much for taking the time to review your stay with us and for highlighting all of the positive experiences you had. LOL, I love that you felt like you were sleeping on a marshmellow - that's why they call them DREAM Beds I think! Thank you for also noting that our toilets are clean. We do scrub them everyday but, like you say, the natural wear and tear from the sulfur means they have some staining. I'm also very happy to hear you enjoyed the Mezz bar. We're introducing some new ideas to the bar, and the restaurant, so I very much hope you come back again soon and let us know what you think of them. :)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 9 January 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night whilst visiting the thermal pools.

We had booked a standard room. When we arrived to check-in we were told we had been upgraded to a room with a spa bath.

If you like horse racing, the location of the room (on the level below the reception area) is ok. If you have 2 large suitcases weighing in excess of 20kg as well as pull-along cabin luggage and backpacks, it's not good at all. There is no lift or ramp down to that level.

Th room itself seemed nice enough when we first walked in, but on slightly closer inspection the bath was absolutely filthy with really bedded in grime (and so God only know what festering in the pipes of the water jets) and the tiles were bowing out from the wall in the shower, ready to fall off at any minute, potentially when one (or children!) was actaully in the shower at the time.

Desperate for a bath we went to a local supermarket and bought heavy duty cleaner to try and get the bath to a stage where someone would be cleaner when they got out, than they were when they got in. The fumes of that cleaner made breathing rather uncomfortable, but after 30 minutes or scrubbing and rinsing and scrubbing again, I was finally able to use it. The shower (in another room) was used very briefly, so as to minimise the risk of ceramics falling, shattering and cutting legs and feet to shreds.

The service in the restaurant was average, at best, poor in general. Food was overpriced, poorly served and in my case not even as advertised on the menu.

Oh, and no wifi in the bedrooms. VERY annoying. Most tourists don't travel with laptops these days.

This is not a hotel in the 4 to 5 star range. They have a good location for horse racing and they have most definitely over traded on that plus point, to the detriment of good service; safe, clean rooms and useful little touches like lifts and wifi. I would never stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012
Siobhan L, Guest Relations Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this review, 29 January 2013
Hi Mouses. Thank you for taking the time to review your stay in our hotel. I have passed these comments onto management who are addressing each of the things you've outlined and these will be followed up on to ensure your experience is not repeated. With regards to the WIFI in the rooms we are in the process of getting that sorted so hopefully in the next few months that will no longer be an issue.
Reviewed 9 January 2013

I stayed two nights in a 'deluxe spa' room. It had good views over the racecourse, very comfortable beds, nice big bathroom. Air conditioning wouldn't have gone astray as our room was quite hot and the fan squeaky. Our neighbours were noisy prompting two calls to reception around midnight, but the Rydges staff promptly dealt with the problem and we were quickly asleep again. Breakfast was good with a wide variety of food available. Overall, I can't complain and I feel we got value for money.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Hi Frances_Mary255106. Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with our hotel. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us :) I do however apologise for your noisy neighbours, the heat in your room and your squeaky fan. I hope on your next visit you don't experience any of these! :)
Jhb
Reviewed 7 January 2013

Spent a weekend here with my family and friends in Dec 2012. The room was huge and the king sized bed was soft and comfortable. The toilet was stained and the balconey was dusty and full of spider webs. They had a spa bath in a seperate room but this bath had not been cleaned:( Overall - I would not go back.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Hi kaynaid. Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I have passed your comments on to the House Keeping Department who will be looking into this matter - I apologise for the spa bath & balcony being unclean, this is unacceptable. With regards to the toilet, unfortunately, with all the sulfar in the air plus normal wear and tear over the years, it doesn't matter how hard we scrub them they still get stained. We do, however, do our very best to keep this to a minimum.
Newport Beach, CA
Reviewed 6 January 2013

The beds were comfortable and our double queen room was large. The rest of the Rydges Rotorua left a lot to be desired. There was no air conditioning, horrible fitness room facilities and worn out carpet in the common areas. After traveling through Rotorua, we would recommend one of the quaint and well maintained motels.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Hi BrettH88. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm sorry that you were unimpressed by your experience and have passed your comments on to the relevant Department Managers. We are in the process of replacing & updating our gym facilities so I am hopeful that it will be looking like a modern and impressive gym soon.