“NEVER AGAIN”

Ranked #48 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
“NEVER AGAIN”
Reviewed 15 January 2013

My wife wanted to take me to the town where she was born so i said "no worries" as long as we stay somewhere nice.................. The reception and overall staff service was great. We arrived to our room to find an empty glass and rubbish from the previous guests at our door. The carpet and lounge chair were badly torn and stained. WE FOUND UNDERWEAR FROM THE PREVIOUS GUESTS IN THE TOP DRAWER. My wife felt that it was that unhygeinic she wore thongs (jandalls) in the shower. The breakfast was well over priced for what it was. All we ate was the hashbrowns and toast as the rest of the buffet was like eating tasteless rubber. We gave the management a list of the problems with our contact details and are still waiting for a reply. If this is a 4star hotel then the local YHA must be 6star. There are plenty of other hotels in the area that look more inviting.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Vaughanandhelen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed 14 January 2013

Overall, we enjoyed our recent stay at Rydges Rotorua; there were just a couple of things that spoilt the experience. The main one was that the room we were given (which ironically was an upgrade) was on the 3rd floor and directly beneath the pool area, so on our first night we had to put up with a constant 'thump, thump, thumping...' from above. Turns out that there was about 20 kids up at the pool running, jumping, diving etc and with little supervision. Not to be a 'party pooper' because I do like to see young people enjoying themselves, but it was late and my wfe, who has a serious illness, needs to have her rest. Another thing to mention is that the shower area was a bit grubby (mouldy grout between tiles mostly); this is a fairly common problem but a quick spray with exit mould would deal to the problem.. The room overall, in terms of size and comfort, was great, although I found it a little frustrating that there was virtually no cutlery provided - esp. since there is a kitchenette area. Finally, whilst we enjoyed the resturant - esp. the buffet breakfast, there was one incident when I needed to ask a question of one of the staff and the response was somewhat abrupt and sarcastic; I felt this was unnecessary and it took a little of the shine off the dining experience. We love Rotorua and have generally found Rydges Hotels to be an enjoyable place to stay. The purpose of this stay was a birthday gift from my wife.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are probably quieter.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 January 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Rydges Rotorua with some overseas visitors. We had two large rooms, a great meal deal for the children and lots of happy pool time. The buffet breakfast is excellent and the staff friendly. I see that some reviewers say the hotel needs a spruce up. It might in some areas, but the deal we got made our stay cheaper than a motel. I have stayed twice in eight months and will do so again.

• Stayed December 2012
Siobhan L, Guest Relations Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this review, 14 January 2013
Hi Scribo. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay, the pool and the rooms so much. We're very proud of our spacious, family friendly rooms and heated pool - the kids love it! Thanks also for noticing our brand new breakfast. We've tried very hard to give plenty of choice to everyone and it's great to hear it's going down a treat!
We look forward to having you stay again with us and hope that next time will be even better than the last! :)
Rancho Palos Verdes, California
Reviewed 10 January 2013

During my recent tour in New Zealand with a tour company, I was not looking forward to my stay in Rotorua. I had stayed there before and couldn't wait to get away from the odor of the sulfur. However, I found that the odor at this hotel was not as intense as the last place I stayed. The room ,was very large and spacious. There was also a jacuzzi tub, which I used and loved. It was a little stuffy, but the ceiling fan worked fine, and I was very comfortable. The hotel is walking distance from the main part of town. I could easily have stayed longer. And I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Hi Marilynjl. Thanks so much for taking the time to review your experience with us. It's awesome to hear we were able to make your dreaded stay in Rotorua a pleasant and enjoyable one. Yes, the sulfur smell can certainly be overpowering but, thankfully, where we're situated it's not that strong. Really glad to hear you loved our spa baths, and our convenient location too, and we very much look forward to having you stay with us again in the future. :)
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 10 January 2013

I had overseas visitors with me and had assured them that we were booking into a reputable hotel. Reception service was excellent and the rooms were all good, except for the toilet which was stained and could do with a good scrub. From reading the reviews and from what I know of Rydges, I was expecting the breakfast to be good. Very disappointing - a poor selection of items and staff were not topping up items that were finished. The scrambled eggs were the worst I've ever tasted - had to discard after one mouthful. Likewise with the pancakes - they were like plastic, an insult to pancakes!
Would possibly stay here again if I am forced to but would definitely have breakfast elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Hi welltrave11ed. Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with our hotel. I'm glad to hear you found the Reception staff excellent and the rooms of a good standard. I can assure you the toilets are scrubbed everyday but unfortunately over time and due to the sulfur they have become stained. I'm very sorry to hear how disappointing you found the breakfast. We're very proud of our new Buffet breakfast and to hear that it was not of the highest standard is a real shock. I have passed your comments on to the relevant departments who will look into this to ensure no one else has a similar experience.
I do hope you give us another chance so that we're able to change your mind. :)

Travellers are raving about these Rotorua hotels

Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 9 January 2013

I've stayed at the Rydges twice now and enjoyed each stay very much. The rooms were clean, tidy, no offensive smells. All of the facilities worked, including the ceiling fan. The spa and bathroom were well clean. I see comments like the toilets were stained, which is silly. That's just regular wear and tear, and not something that can be scrubbed clean. The rooms are large, and sparse. The beds were AMAZING! They're like sleeping on a marshmellow. Excellent for a good night's sleep. The Mezz bar was also nice for a relaxed drink before dinner. Would happily go back and recommend to others.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Hi Emma M. Thanks so much for taking the time to review your stay with us and for highlighting all of the positive experiences you had. LOL, I love that you felt like you were sleeping on a marshmellow - that's why they call them DREAM Beds I think! Thank you for also noting that our toilets are clean. We do scrub them everyday but, like you say, the natural wear and tear from the sulfur means they have some staining. I'm also very happy to hear you enjoyed the Mezz bar. We're introducing some new ideas to the bar, and the restaurant, so I very much hope you come back again soon and let us know what you think of them. :)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 9 January 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night whilst visiting the thermal pools.

We had booked a standard room. When we arrived to check-in we were told we had been upgraded to a room with a spa bath.

If you like horse racing, the location of the room (on the level below the reception area) is ok. If you have 2 large suitcases weighing in excess of 20kg as well as pull-along cabin luggage and backpacks, it's not good at all. There is no lift or ramp down to that level.

Th room itself seemed nice enough when we first walked in, but on slightly closer inspection the bath was absolutely filthy with really bedded in grime (and so God only know what festering in the pipes of the water jets) and the tiles were bowing out from the wall in the shower, ready to fall off at any minute, potentially when one (or children!) was actaully in the shower at the time.

Desperate for a bath we went to a local supermarket and bought heavy duty cleaner to try and get the bath to a stage where someone would be cleaner when they got out, than they were when they got in. The fumes of that cleaner made breathing rather uncomfortable, but after 30 minutes or scrubbing and rinsing and scrubbing again, I was finally able to use it. The shower (in another room) was used very briefly, so as to minimise the risk of ceramics falling, shattering and cutting legs and feet to shreds.

The service in the restaurant was average, at best, poor in general. Food was overpriced, poorly served and in my case not even as advertised on the menu.

Oh, and no wifi in the bedrooms. VERY annoying. Most tourists don't travel with laptops these days.

This is not a hotel in the 4 to 5 star range. They have a good location for horse racing and they have most definitely over traded on that plus point, to the detriment of good service; safe, clean rooms and useful little touches like lifts and wifi. I would never stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012
Siobhan L, Guest Relations Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this review, 29 January 2013
Hi Mouses. Thank you for taking the time to review your stay in our hotel. I have passed these comments onto management who are addressing each of the things you've outlined and these will be followed up on to ensure your experience is not repeated. With regards to the WIFI in the rooms we are in the process of getting that sorted so hopefully in the next few months that will no longer be an issue.
Kind regards