“Enjoyable & Relaxing”

Ranked #43 of 93 Hotels in Rotorua
Auckland, New Zealand
“Enjoyable & Relaxing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

We booked a stay here over the school holidays and we all absolutely loved it.

There were a lot of other families staying here which was great. We were there as a family and to have other families splashing around in the pool, chatting away at the restaurant for breakfast and dinner made it very relaxing - I felt it was very family oriented over this stay, and really wanted to thank Rydges for promoting that.

Deluxe Spa Room - it's HUGE, two very comfortable beds, lovely spa, great view, metres from indoor heated pool on same floor, price (room + buffet breakfast and kids eat free), very friendly staff throughout, other families staying giving it a great family friendly feel, dinner / breakfasts had a line but suprisingly small delay. The decor is dated / worn but functional and comfortable.

This little family cannot wait to go back :)

Room Tip: Get the Deluxe Spa Room, it's the best!
1 Thank ozborni

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
McLaren Vale, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

We got a great package deal which included, buffet breakfast and if the adults ate in the restaurant, the kids dined for free - a bargain for families in the school holidays. Having worked in this exact hotel 13 or so years ago as a full time employee, I guess you could say I had some insider knowledge in the industry. My thoughts and experiences.

We checked in, the front desk was pleasant, but obviously there to get their job done, without any flair which would have been certainly expected in most 4 star hotels. No explaination of the package, what time dinner started?, the fact that the kids had a buffet dinner, whilst adults order off an A la Carte menu, what time breakfast operated? where the lifts were? where I could park my car and access the building?. In fact if I hadn't roughly remembered the layout of the building, I would have been an extremely stressed parent with two young kids in tow.

It seems this hotel is now operated on close to a smell of an oily rag in front office. There's no porter to help with bags and disinterested front office staff, which are the first port of call for a guest and usually a wealth of information.

Onto the room. Well in fairness Rydges Rotorua rooms use to be legendary for their size. The room was good, the beds had obviously had some new mattresses and they were probably the most comfortable accommodation beds we have slept on to date. The bathroom is very dated, cracked tiles by the toilet. The coffee cups, glasses, teaspoons counted in two's, despite occupancy for this room being at three. They were also in a cupboard, beside the "s bend" sink pipe - far from appealing. This lack of crockery is certainly quite a change from their "hay day".

My kids loved the pool, which was exactly how I remembered - only there's a fair amount of chipped paint off walls. In fact chipped paint off most hotel hallways and general customer areas....except strangely enough the seated lobby area which shows a much more polished finish. Perhaps that's where the maintainence person is focussing their efforts on? The hotel carpet is very thread bare in parts and very noticeable going up the stairs to the bar.

Onto the restaurant for dinner. This is where I actually received some 4 star hotel service from the awesome Natalia ( I think) as the dinner restaurant supervisor/matre'd and our waiter Daniel. These two single staff members made up for the lack of service anywhere else in this hotel. The A la Carte was ok, again not what I would have expected from a hotel. The kids buffet dinner was pretty bad and my kids ate a minimal amount. The food was all brought in, even the custard and chocolate pudding was manufactured, rather than homemade. The kids buffet was unkept, unfilled by the chefs and obviously little thought or care had gone into it. For example there was a green salad, covered in acidic vinegarette - what child likes a dressing like that???

Clear to me here, that the kids buffet dinner was like a "fishing line" to reel in parents and get them to stay for dinner and spend in the restaurant. Again if we ever stay in Rydges Rotorua we would choose to never eat and spend in the dinner restaurant again.

The restaurant looks quite similar to it's "hay day", although strangely the beautiful big palm trees which use to command the space have been replaced by tall fake ones with small plastic palm leaves, which cheapen the entire restaurant space, which is such a shame.

The breakfast restaurant buffet was reasonably good. To the trained eye, I can definitely see where the food and beverage department is making cost savings. But overall it was fresh enough, but still for a 4 star hotel there was no service. Funny enough we left our table with the card key on it, juices and coffee to get our cooked buffet breakfast selections and came back to a cleared breakfast table, with the key still on it. No cutlery, no paper napkins, no coffee or juices. All gone. At this stage we had been at breakfast for all of 5 mins!!!

Checkout, this time by the front office manager was efficient. He even asked if I wanted help with my bags....just a tiny bit of me inside smirked at this because I paid the bill without my kids in tow and on checkout they offered to help. On check in though, with kids in tow we were on our own. Here's a lesson right here for you to ponder Rydges Rotorua.

In summary, if you want a deal Rydges Rotorua has the deal for you - there are many to choose from. This is a "3 star motel" service experience though. Sadly despite the beautiful building the management have obviously lost the ability to inspire and lead their employees, it's all about the one time "bottoms on beds" rather than repeat customers.

1 Thank cellardoorwine
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

We stayed for 4 nights and largely enjoyed our stay. When we arrived we were pleasantly suprised to find we had been upgraded, but our initial delight turned to concern as water started leaking from the bathroom roof vent, a quick call to the front desk had the problem dealt with quickly and efficiently and found us moved to a spa room.

Our room was a little dated but was clean and tidy, it was large and spacious enough for 2 adults and 1 child to relax and enjoy, for the per night cost the room was very good value and we were happy. The room had all of the standard amenities but also had a seperate Spa room, as well as a balcony with table and chairs.

The staff were very helpful and friendly, parking was good, as was the pool. The only real complaint we had was with the noise of children running up and down the hallway, the thump thump thump above your head or outside your door was annoying.

Unlike other travellers we didnt use wireless or eat at this hotel so cant comment on these aspects.

1 Thank The_Alloways
New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

So where do I start?
You would think that a major hotel brand located in one of the most popular tourist destinations in NZ was first class!
after staying at the Rydges Auckland CBD and driving 3 hours to Rotorua I was looking forward to my stay at the Rydges Rotorua.
Unfortunately for me I was sadly mistaken and certainly the Rydges Rotorua is a 0 star compared to Rydges Auckland.
my horror night started when I ordered dinner using room service and after waiting 45mins was told it would be another 30mins!!!
then after finishing my long awaited food it was time to get some sleep...well that's what I had planned.
our room was located above the restaurant kitchen and I was kept up until the wee hours listening to the kitchen staff banging & crashing while they cleared up after service.
There is no Air-Con only a ceiling fan.....So forget about staying there in the summer as the road noise will keep you up all night.

Room Tip: It's Simple Avoid This Hotel!
1 Thank cyberia_302

Travellers are raving about these Rotorua hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013 via mobile

It was ok, nothing to write home about. Room was very big but very dated. Food average in morning and 27 for breaky a bit steep. It's better than most places in Rotorua to be fair so I do keep coming back.

• Stayed July 2013
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

Stayed here for couple of nights in a Spa room on the 3rd floor. Room huge, with kitchenette and a balcony. Room a bit dated but reasonable clean and tidy. Bed very comfortable with good quality mattress. Bath robes but no slippers! Balcony a good size but it was a bit cold to sit outside. Spa is in a separate room with nice big windows but the only problem is that there is no heating in this room so it was very cold in there and we didn't use it. The buffet breakfast was very average and in our opinion NZ$27 per person is greatly overpriced for what they offer. We had it included in our rate but if we didn't, we would not pay $27 for what they offer. Hot food was only slightly warm,sausages looked really unattractive and poached eggs were cold. There were 2 four slice toasters available but they were so slow we've decided not to bother. And what was most disappointing was the fact that plates and coffee cups weren't washed properly and you could still see the coffee marks on it. This is unacceptable, especially for a 4 star hotel!!! We will not return to this hotel again and for the reasons above we do not recommend this accommodation.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the main road!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

The Deluxe spa room we stayed was very spacious and the bed were very comfortable for 4 of us (2 adults and 2 children). Love the spa too!! The dinner in the hotel was delicious and generous servings. The only down side was the WIFI charges is too expensive. However, we would stay there again :-)

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family