“I must have had a different breakfast service!”
Review of Rydges Rotorua

Rydges Rotorua
Ranked #45 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
New Zealand
“I must have had a different breakfast service!”
Reviewed 29 September 2013

The room was huge and although the decor is tired it was very comfortable. Would have been better to be able to see the TV from the spa bath, but hey that's not a deal breaker.
However, on going to breakfast we were told we hadn't booked the package (we had) and that we could choose between an expensive continental or an exorbitant full cooked buffet. Having argued the toss with the woman at the counter, we went back to reception who rang her and sorted it.
The food was undercooked (the "fried" tomatoes were stone cold and raw) The scrambled eggs were liquid and the streaky bacon (which did taste good) was dripping with grease and limp. My husband had to find someone as the juice bottles were all empty.
While eating I observed the woman supposedly on the front counter wandering round the restaurant completely ignoring people standing waiting to be seated. One couple spent several minutes trying to get her attention before she finally sighed and went over. The staff didn't make eye contact at any time - one walked right past this couple and could have said that she would find the maitre d', but not a word. Then she disappeared all together and another couple stood for an age before someone finally acknowledged them.
I would stay there again, but the overpriced restaurant bad service put a dampener on our weekend.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Quaifeclan
Jemmel R, Front Office Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this review, 6 October 2013
Thank you for your comments and ratings Quaifeclan

I have spoken with the EAM in regards to your comments and we were both disappointed in what had happened during your time in the Atrium. Our aim is to ensure that levels of service and food presentation are amounst the highest and recently it is clear that as a team we are lacking in this area and I do apologise.

The Food and Beverage team have been spoken to as a whole and I believe that we should have our issues sorted in the near future.

Should you decide to stay with us in the future, I am sure that you will notice the improvement.

Thanks again

Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Please refer to my "5-star" rating of the Rydges Rotorua restaurant "Atrium Restaurant". I was not an accommodation guest at this hotel. However, had a quick drink at the Mezz Bar, prior to dining downstairs at their Atrium Restaurant (awesome. see review). The bar young male waiter was rude, and I was an inconvenience even him walking to the bar to serve me. He wasn't run off his feet, with just one couple there. He just stared at me (not sure I was that interesting), never said a word "no hello, can I help you"...nothing!!!! Didn't ask me if I wanted another drink when finished. Asked for a beer and again not a word. Seriously he should look for a job outside the hospitality industry, and Rydges should review suitability of the recruiting manager!!! Beer selection also poor (taps weren't working, and limited bottle beer)

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank David B
Thank you David B for your comments and ratings in regards to your visit to Rydges Rotorua.

It is very important for us to hear the views of our guests, whether they are positive or negative, I am sorry to hear that on this occasion you where faced with some unsatisfactory experiences.

I have raised these issues with the Food and Beverage Supervisor with regards to the staff member in the Mezz Bar and like me, they are disappointed to learn of your comments. They have since spoken with the Staff member involved to ensure this does not happen again.

We accept full responsibility and sincerely apologise for your unpleasant experience. It is our role to ensure that all services provided to our guests are carried out willingly and obligingly and that all guests’ customer services expectations are exceeded. I can assure you that we treat our guest comments very seriously and take decisive action to correct our shortcomings.

If you have any queries or further concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me direct, I do hope we have the pleasure of your company in the near future either at Rydges Rotorua or any Rydges property to enjoy the delights of our hotels and I am sure we will prove ourselves better hosts.

Kind regards

Travellers are raving about these Rotorua hotels

TOLGA
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Like the other reviews, I was happily surprised by the size of the rooms, we had a double double and their was heaps of space. The hotel is in need of a revamp, but that said, we were only their to sleep and the beds were the most comfortable beds on our whole trip. Breakfast was great, plenty to choose from. If you're not already it pays to be a Rydges Priority Guest, it gives you discounts on rooms and meals. What we paid for what we got, we definitely got a great deal.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Turangi, New Zealand
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I really like staying here. Rooms are spacious, I had room with fill able spa. Bed would have to be one of the most luxurious comfortable ever. Located a little way out of CBD, I had diner here which was very good and one of The best breakfast buffets ever.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Clinton52
Auckland
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Although VERY tired looking, spacious rooms, good value for money and a good buffet breakfast make this place a good spot to enjoy Rotorua's plethora of tourist delights from. No free wifi is a bummer though, and won't sit that well with overseas visitors.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Hastings, New Zealand
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Yes, it's your standard big 'ol hotel in a tourist town, but the Rydges manages to add a little character to the experience. The rooms are HUGE - my 2nd floor room contained two (yes, 2 ) king sized beds with plenty of space to spare. Aforementioned beds are extremely comfortable, and we had a nice view out over the racecourse (watching the horses train in the mist early one morning was pretty cool).
They're currently refreshing the decor and some areas feel a little tired. However, the room was very clean and housekeeping were efficient and unobtrusive.
Hats off to the staff here too - a friendly and welcoming bunch, exactly the sort of people we need to welcome international visitors.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 23 August 2013

I stayed here with some friends and we were all very pleased with the hotel - it was centrally located, clean and the room was spacious and easily accommodated the three of us. There was a large screen t.v and plenty of storage room for our luggage and it was nicely heated. The carpark out the back is safe and monitored with guest entry. The beds had plenty of pillows and there were enough towels but while there were tea and coffee making facilities there were only two cups and two wine glasses in a room with two double beds. We ended up asking for an extra mug but this was taken away when the room was serviced the next morning which was a bit of a hassle. The plumbing is a little noisy but not excessively so. Overall though, a great place to stay and excellent value for money. I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends