“Worst service... How is this a four star hotel???”
Review of Rydges Rotorua

Rydges Rotorua
Ranked #48 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I don’t know where to start the service and facilities i have experienced in the hotel is appalling. We booked 3 double bedrooms.

- arrived at the hotel, check in considering the number of guests 7 adults and 3 kids I thought that it will come to their senses that we will need a porter to help us but NO. I grabbed a trolley and took all the bags at the reception, the receptionist saw this a 7 month pregnant lady trying to push a trolley with full of bags and did not do anything. I asked if they can take it to our rooms, the receptionist looked at me and said we can if I really want to but just to one of our rooms not for all the rooms...

- arrived at the room looking promising, then went to the toilet the bowl has stains and it was consistent for all the three rooms i booked

- One of the room's tv stopped working got someone to look at it the person was not very happy no greetings no smile no nothing just grabbed the tv and replaced it. No conversation occurred just left the new tv playing.

- Ordered room service, I ordered wedges and asked how long it will take, I was advised 15 minutes... 30 mins later no food i called to follow up was then advised 5 minutes more...15 minutes later still no food….. followed up again then it finally arrived. The wedges has no sour cream no chili sauce as written in menu and melted cheese looks like it’s been sitting there for a long time.

- Breakfast time arrived went to the buffet, we were greeted at the entrance and as we enter the main area another staff member approached us as if we are intruders saying to us that my 3 year old cannot wear her pyjamas at the restaurant which is fine but the manner we were spoken to is the problem. We are guests here, paying guests at least be polite when you speak to us.

My sister in law arrived wanted to join us for breakfast apparently she was not allowed and again was spoken in a condescending tone as we have our table and its only for four, after explaining we were allowed to sit together.

I then sat down for breakfast the spoon on my table was with stain and not polished!! I do not think this will pass a four star hotel service?

So then I approached the reception ready to speak to someone, I asked who can i talk to about a complaint as the brochure in our room to write our feedback is not enough to write my complaints. I was given an email address! No one tried to speak to me to hear my concerns or bothered to ask anything.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank avillarD82
Jemmel R, Front Office Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

Thank you for your comments and ratings avillarD82

I have spoken to my Front Office team in regards to your comments and we are all embarressed by your feedback; to have no assistance offered when it was clearly needed and then the issues that your family came across during your time with us is of a major concern.

I understand that you have been in communications with our EAM Kathrine Brightwell but I would like apologise for the poor level of service you received during your stay and advise you that we are working on ways to ensure that your experiences do not beome the norm.

Thank you again avillarD28 and I hope that we have the opportunity to show you that we are better than your previous stay.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

The room was huge and although the decor is tired it was very comfortable. Would have been better to be able to see the TV from the spa bath, but hey that's not a deal breaker.
However, on going to breakfast we were told we hadn't booked the package (we had) and that we could choose between an expensive continental or an exorbitant full cooked buffet. Having argued the toss with the woman at the counter, we went back to reception who rang her and sorted it.
The food was undercooked (the "fried" tomatoes were stone cold and raw) The scrambled eggs were liquid and the streaky bacon (which did taste good) was dripping with grease and limp. My husband had to find someone as the juice bottles were all empty.
While eating I observed the woman supposedly on the front counter wandering round the restaurant completely ignoring people standing waiting to be seated. One couple spent several minutes trying to get her attention before she finally sighed and went over. The staff didn't make eye contact at any time - one walked right past this couple and could have said that she would find the maitre d', but not a word. Then she disappeared all together and another couple stood for an age before someone finally acknowledged them.
I would stay there again, but the overpriced restaurant bad service put a dampener on our weekend.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Quaifeclan
Jemmel R, Front Office Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2013

Thank you for your comments and ratings Quaifeclan

I have spoken with the EAM in regards to your comments and we were both disappointed in what had happened during your time in the Atrium. Our aim is to ensure that levels of service and food presentation are amounst the highest and recently it is clear that as a team we are lacking in this area and I do apologise.

The Food and Beverage team have been spoken to as a whole and I believe that we should have our issues sorted in the near future.

Should you decide to stay with us in the future, I am sure that you will notice the improvement.

Thanks again

Reviewed 18 September 2013

Please refer to my "5-star" rating of the Rydges Rotorua restaurant "Atrium Restaurant". I was not an accommodation guest at this hotel. However, had a quick drink at the Mezz Bar, prior to dining downstairs at their Atrium Restaurant (awesome. see review). The bar young male waiter was rude, and I was an inconvenience even him walking to the bar to serve me. He wasn't run off his feet, with just one couple there. He just stared at me (not sure I was that interesting), never said a word "no hello, can I help you"...nothing!!!! Didn't ask me if I wanted another drink when finished. Asked for a beer and again not a word. Seriously he should look for a job outside the hospitality industry, and Rydges should review suitability of the recruiting manager!!! Beer selection also poor (taps weren't working, and limited bottle beer)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank David B

Thank you David B for your comments and ratings in regards to your visit to Rydges Rotorua.

It is very important for us to hear the views of our guests, whether they are positive or negative, I am sorry to hear that on this occasion you where faced with some unsatisfactory experiences.

I have raised these issues with the Food and Beverage Supervisor with regards to the staff member in the Mezz Bar and like me, they are disappointed to learn of your comments. They have since spoken with the Staff member involved to ensure this does not happen again.

We accept full responsibility and sincerely apologise for your unpleasant experience. It is our role to ensure that all services provided to our guests are carried out willingly and obligingly and that all guests’ customer services expectations are exceeded. I can assure you that we treat our guest comments very seriously and take decisive action to correct our shortcomings.

If you have any queries or further concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me direct, I do hope we have the pleasure of your company in the near future either at Rydges Rotorua or any Rydges property to enjoy the delights of our hotels and I am sure we will prove ourselves better hosts.

Reviewed 12 September 2013

Like the other reviews, I was happily surprised by the size of the rooms, we had a double double and their was heaps of space. The hotel is in need of a revamp, but that said, we were only their to sleep and the beds were the most comfortable beds on our whole trip. Breakfast was great, plenty to choose from. If you're not already it pays to be a Rydges Priority Guest, it gives you discounts on rooms and meals. What we paid for what we got, we definitely got a great deal.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I really like staying here. Rooms are spacious, I had room with fill able spa. Bed would have to be one of the most luxurious comfortable ever. Located a little way out of CBD, I had diner here which was very good and one of The best breakfast buffets ever.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Clinton52
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Although VERY tired looking, spacious rooms, good value for money and a good buffet breakfast make this place a good spot to enjoy Rotorua's plethora of tourist delights from. No free wifi is a bummer though, and won't sit that well with overseas visitors.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Yes, it's your standard big 'ol hotel in a tourist town, but the Rydges manages to add a little character to the experience. The rooms are HUGE - my 2nd floor room contained two (yes, 2 ) king sized beds with plenty of space to spare. Aforementioned beds are extremely comfortable, and we had a nice view out over the racecourse (watching the horses train in the mist early one morning was pretty cool).
They're currently refreshing the decor and some areas feel a little tired. However, the room was very clean and housekeeping were efficient and unobtrusive.
Hats off to the staff here too - a friendly and welcoming bunch, exactly the sort of people we need to welcome international visitors.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business