“Loved the view from our room”
Review of Rydges Rotorua

Rydges Rotorua
Ranked #45 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
Beenleigh, Australia
“Loved the view from our room”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Our first memory was the front desk staff. They were very friendly and suggested places to eat and attractions to see, including a park where you could see mud pools for free. We had a lovely surprise when we walked into our room. It overlooked the racecourse. It was just fantastic sitting on the balcony and soaking up the view. Apart from the comfy beds, our room had a spa bath and a small kitchen. It was all very clean.
We had a lovely buffet breakfast and we would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Beenleighfriends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Goolwa, Australia
Reviewed 2 October 2013

We stayed for two nights in September. The foyer is quite grand with marble staircase and leather sofas, however, our room was not.
Room was large and bed clean, bathroom tiles were stained, and very dated! I just cannot understand how this hotel managed to get four and a half stars!
Perhaps people book purely on the name?
The check in and out was o.k but not up to standard for a four star let along a four and a half!
No help was offered to take our cases up to our room, and this service was provided with some of the smaller motels we stayed in!
The restaurant was o.k. but expensive, same for the breakfast prices, so we found a cafe in town which was great!
It's no wonder we did not see many people dining there!

Room Tip: Check one until you are happy with the condition of both rooms!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Jemmel R, Front Office Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
Thank you for your comments and ratings Sally113

A dissappointing read I must say and one which I do apologise for. We do pride ourselves on our service levels but it is quite clear by you comments that these have slipped from there previous heights.

I have spoken with the Front Office team and given a copy of your room comments to our Executive Housekeeper and should you decide to visit with us again, I'm sure you will notice a marked improvement.

Reviewed 1 October 2013 via mobile

Poor service right from entering hotel. No offer to take our bags to the room.

Mouldy ceiling in bathroom and dirty spa.

Moved to second room, no improvement.

The cleanliness is no way near 4 1/12 star. Mould is unacceptable.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comments and ratings Brassy89

Not a great read and one for which I do apologise for,I totally understand the reasoning behind not wanting to recommend the hotel.

I have spoken with the Front Office team in regards to service levels as this is an issue which seems to have raised it's ugly head in the last few weeks or so and we are all aware that this is an area that we need to improve in.

I have also spoken with the Executive Housekeeper in regards to your comments and she will be speaking with her team and they will be working on improving their cleaning levels as well.

Thank you again Brassy89, and should you decide to try the hotel in the future, I am sure you will notice an improvement.

Kind regards

Travellers are raving about these Rotorua hotels

Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I don’t know where to start the service and facilities i have experienced in the hotel is appalling. We booked 3 double bedrooms.

- arrived at the hotel, check in considering the number of guests 7 adults and 3 kids I thought that it will come to their senses that we will need a porter to help us but NO. I grabbed a trolley and took all the bags at the reception, the receptionist saw this a 7 month pregnant lady trying to push a trolley with full of bags and did not do anything. I asked if they can take it to our rooms, the receptionist looked at me and said we can if I really want to but just to one of our rooms not for all the rooms...

- arrived at the room looking promising, then went to the toilet the bowl has stains and it was consistent for all the three rooms i booked

- One of the room's tv stopped working got someone to look at it the person was not very happy no greetings no smile no nothing just grabbed the tv and replaced it. No conversation occurred just left the new tv playing.

- Ordered room service, I ordered wedges and asked how long it will take, I was advised 15 minutes... 30 mins later no food i called to follow up was then advised 5 minutes more...15 minutes later still no food….. followed up again then it finally arrived. The wedges has no sour cream no chili sauce as written in menu and melted cheese looks like it’s been sitting there for a long time.

- Breakfast time arrived went to the buffet, we were greeted at the entrance and as we enter the main area another staff member approached us as if we are intruders saying to us that my 3 year old cannot wear her pyjamas at the restaurant which is fine but the manner we were spoken to is the problem. We are guests here, paying guests at least be polite when you speak to us.

My sister in law arrived wanted to join us for breakfast apparently she was not allowed and again was spoken in a condescending tone as we have our table and its only for four, after explaining we were allowed to sit together.

I then sat down for breakfast the spoon on my table was with stain and not polished!! I do not think this will pass a four star hotel service?

So then I approached the reception ready to speak to someone, I asked who can i talk to about a complaint as the brochure in our room to write our feedback is not enough to write my complaints. I was given an email address! No one tried to speak to me to hear my concerns or bothered to ask anything.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank avillarD82
Thank you for your comments and ratings avillarD82

I have spoken to my Front Office team in regards to your comments and we are all embarressed by your feedback; to have no assistance offered when it was clearly needed and then the issues that your family came across during your time with us is of a major concern.

I understand that you have been in communications with our EAM Kathrine Brightwell but I would like apologise for the poor level of service you received during your stay and advise you that we are working on ways to ensure that your experiences do not beome the norm.

Thank you again avillarD28 and I hope that we have the opportunity to show you that we are better than your previous stay.

New Zealand
Reviewed 29 September 2013

The room was huge and although the decor is tired it was very comfortable. Would have been better to be able to see the TV from the spa bath, but hey that's not a deal breaker.
However, on going to breakfast we were told we hadn't booked the package (we had) and that we could choose between an expensive continental or an exorbitant full cooked buffet. Having argued the toss with the woman at the counter, we went back to reception who rang her and sorted it.
The food was undercooked (the "fried" tomatoes were stone cold and raw) The scrambled eggs were liquid and the streaky bacon (which did taste good) was dripping with grease and limp. My husband had to find someone as the juice bottles were all empty.
While eating I observed the woman supposedly on the front counter wandering round the restaurant completely ignoring people standing waiting to be seated. One couple spent several minutes trying to get her attention before she finally sighed and went over. The staff didn't make eye contact at any time - one walked right past this couple and could have said that she would find the maitre d', but not a word. Then she disappeared all together and another couple stood for an age before someone finally acknowledged them.
I would stay there again, but the overpriced restaurant bad service put a dampener on our weekend.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Quaifeclan
Jemmel R, Front Office Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this review, 6 October 2013
Thank you for your comments and ratings Quaifeclan

I have spoken with the EAM in regards to your comments and we were both disappointed in what had happened during your time in the Atrium. Our aim is to ensure that levels of service and food presentation are amounst the highest and recently it is clear that as a team we are lacking in this area and I do apologise.

The Food and Beverage team have been spoken to as a whole and I believe that we should have our issues sorted in the near future.

Should you decide to stay with us in the future, I am sure that you will notice the improvement.

Thanks again

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Please refer to my "5-star" rating of the Rydges Rotorua restaurant "Atrium Restaurant". I was not an accommodation guest at this hotel. However, had a quick drink at the Mezz Bar, prior to dining downstairs at their Atrium Restaurant (awesome. see review). The bar young male waiter was rude, and I was an inconvenience even him walking to the bar to serve me. He wasn't run off his feet, with just one couple there. He just stared at me (not sure I was that interesting), never said a word "no hello, can I help you"...nothing!!!! Didn't ask me if I wanted another drink when finished. Asked for a beer and again not a word. Seriously he should look for a job outside the hospitality industry, and Rydges should review suitability of the recruiting manager!!! Beer selection also poor (taps weren't working, and limited bottle beer)

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank David B
Thank you David B for your comments and ratings in regards to your visit to Rydges Rotorua.

It is very important for us to hear the views of our guests, whether they are positive or negative, I am sorry to hear that on this occasion you where faced with some unsatisfactory experiences.

I have raised these issues with the Food and Beverage Supervisor with regards to the staff member in the Mezz Bar and like me, they are disappointed to learn of your comments. They have since spoken with the Staff member involved to ensure this does not happen again.

We accept full responsibility and sincerely apologise for your unpleasant experience. It is our role to ensure that all services provided to our guests are carried out willingly and obligingly and that all guests’ customer services expectations are exceeded. I can assure you that we treat our guest comments very seriously and take decisive action to correct our shortcomings.

If you have any queries or further concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me direct, I do hope we have the pleasure of your company in the near future either at Rydges Rotorua or any Rydges property to enjoy the delights of our hotels and I am sure we will prove ourselves better hosts.

TOLGA
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Like the other reviews, I was happily surprised by the size of the rooms, we had a double double and their was heaps of space. The hotel is in need of a revamp, but that said, we were only their to sleep and the beds were the most comfortable beds on our whole trip. Breakfast was great, plenty to choose from. If you're not already it pays to be a Rydges Priority Guest, it gives you discounts on rooms and meals. What we paid for what we got, we definitely got a great deal.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family