“Needs a spruce up!” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #41 of 93 Hotels in Rotorua
Hobart, Australia
“Needs a spruce up!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

Rydges Rotorua was one stop of many on our honeymoon in the last month, and has been the only one thus far to not recognise it. It's not an expectation but it is something that makes for recommendations. The entrance is grand but investment is required throughout the entire building as it looks like a nursing home. The rooms are nice and large but the staff require training in the use of tile cleaning products for use in the bathroom. I don't even know why the taps for the sink were oriented wrong but they were better than the shower mixer tap that just fell off due to a loose grub screw. Something that should be picked up by a thorough cleaner. Overall the stay wasn't too bad except for leaving the side exit one morning to be showered by mud from the gutters as they were being pressure cleaned and no signage was displayed. It's common place now to place signage for just a wet floor. A guy on a roof with a high pressure cleaner raining down roof scum should probably be something you want to keep your paying guests away from.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
James B, General Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Dear James,

Firstly congratulations on your recent wedding and thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I would be interested to learn more about your experience as we usually pride ourselves on welcoming newlyweds to the hotel. Please feel free to email me on james_billing@rydges.com. I have spoken with the contractors who are currently repainting the building amongst other plans to renew certain areas of the hotel. I hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future to celebrate perhaps your anniversary.

James Billing

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

The Entrance is huge, the location is awesome but Its nothing major WOW factor, its near to most of the activities, There is a Gas station and departmental store with 2 min drive. The hotel is clean, the staff is extremely helpful, I checked in late night but I was still assisted by reception staff. Let me tell you all hotel in New Zealand are clean as the country is clean :-)
The SPA was bit old but it was clean, I will say its descent place to spend a day or 2

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
James B, Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Dear Jignesh J,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feeback following your stay with us. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future,

Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

I booked at the last minute on Wotif.com for a weekend of fun with the kids. On arrival parts of the building were tired and a stair well smelt bad but ok. However, getting anything exciting on TV was not happening - no sky and no movies on demand to share later with the kids before they went to bed.

My initial concern was to wake up in the early evening with water pouring from the ceiling in the middle of the room - and from the bathroom ceiling but from the wrong places!. I called reception and was soon issued with a new room - no apology, no concern for my wet gear, no help with moving my stuff up 3 floors to the new room.

The following morning we arrived for breakfast - included in the deal. We had to wait 20 minutes to get a table - too bad if we needed to be somewhere!

On each table was a pad on which to take coffee orders :-). I wrote my order, and asked the waitress what to do with it - she said she could take it. She walked over and she stuck it to the top of coffee machine where there was no one making coffees. I could see the order still on the machine as we finished breakfast and left.

Overall, the pool is nice, but the hotel is tired - certainly not 4.5 stars

Room Tip: Choose another hotel....
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank 10centcoin
Dear 10centcoin,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Please accept my apologies for the lack of empathy shown to you when the room upstairs over filled their bath. I have followed up with the team in relation to the service issues you experienced, and I would be happy to discuss these with you further. My email address is james_billing@rydges.com.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

We stayed here for one night - good deal through WOTIF (paid $112 for a spa room, 2 X Queen beds). The location is great as the rooms at the back overlook a race course and you can view the major landmarks of Rotorua. Plus, you don't get the sulphur smell at Rydges. The look and feel is quite grand at the entrance, the rooms very spacious, the bathrooms are a bit tired but can't complain as it was still good value for money. In the end it turned out to be a good stay, no dramas and we would recommend to anyone if they are getting a good deal.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank vmakhni
Dear Vmakhni,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay. The team were thrilled to see you had an enjoyable stay and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

CHENNAI,INDIA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

This is a centrally located hotel ,quite close to most attractions. We were a large group and it will be worthwhile for hotel staff in touristic destinations to be patient with guests who are from a different culture."wait to be seated" at the entrance to the restaurant was not understood by all in my group. The lady in charge was quite rude to them. Breakfast was great.

Room Tip: The fourth floor rooms are big
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank RAVI K
Dear Ravi K,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am glad to hear you enjoyed our popular rise breakfast buffet. I also appreciate you sharing your experience with our breakfast cashier, we have used this as an opportunity to reflect and improve on our service delivery. I hope to welcome you and your group back to our hotel in the near future.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

We stayed in a deluxe spa room, which is huge with a really nice spa/balcony arrangement. Our room had some scruffy furniture, but the enormous king bed would be one of the best I've ever slept in - and I'm very fussy about beds.

I was a bit nervous about the level of service after reading some of the recent reviews, but it appears Rydges have taken note and our service was very good. Check in was pleasant, the breakfast staff were cheerful and attentive.

Overall a great value stay and I'll definitely return.

Room Tip: There is a bit of noise from feet in the rooms above, so if a light sleeper I'd go for top floor...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ease2underpants
Dear Ease2underpants,

I sincerely appreciate your feedback and the staffs were thrilled to learn that you had a great stay with us. I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

Stayed here for two nights on our honeymoon. The hotel was a bit dated (looks a bit 90s) but the room was spotless when we checked in, and had a view over the racecourse (would be amazing on track days). We were given a bottle of bubbly upon check in and the front desk staff were very nice. Some downsides: The Mezz Bar staff member we got didn't know how to make cocktails (during the cocktail happy hour); when we ordered, he took the drinks list so to work out what goes in a martini, then charged us the normal cost for it (even though it was happy hour). When we got the cocktails around 5 minutes later, to my surprise, my martini was watery! Not sure what the food is like as we did not eat anything there. Checkout was quick and easy however, beware they pass on a surcharge for using any credit card (in this case master card) which seems a bit over the top for an established hotel chain. Would recommend the Rydges for anyone who wants a cheap, clean and efficient stay in Rotorua, (better with a car in case you want to eat out).

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank whatthe2070
Dear Whatthe2070,

Congratulations on your recent wedding. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I have followed up with the team in the restaurant to ensure we resolve the issues you experienced. We wish you and your partner all the best and hope to welcome you back for your anniversary in the near future,