“Good place to stay in Rotarua”
Review of Rydges Rotorua

Rydges Rotorua
Ranked #48 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
“Good place to stay in Rotarua”
Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

Rydges tends to be Australia and New Zealand's higher end hotels for the cost of the rooms. My room in Rotarua is spacious, has a balcony overlooking the Rotarua horse race track as well as a spacious bath (maybe a jacuzzi? Haven't investigated too closely yet) also overlooking the race track.

The rooms are clean and the staff quite helpful. Amenities include on site dining, a bar, work out room and a pool.

In fairness, due to a botched itinerary, I arrived here late on a Monday by which time I was left little time to explore Rotarua properly. Things around here close quite early.

Rydges is about a 15 minute walk into downtown Rotarua, not quite sure of its proximity to the notorious baths. They do offer free wifi for guests which is a huge plus.

As I mentioned before, it is hard to offer a fair review given my limited time staying here, but overall, it seems like a nice place to stay whilst visiting this sleepy, and stinky, town. The latter related to the sulphur baths which perfume the town.

• Stayed November 2013
James B, Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Dear Navidad_not,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future and hopefully next time you will be able to fully enjoy the great facilities we have to offer.

James Billing

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Peoria, Illinois
Reviewed 21 November 2013

As part of a tour, we spent one night at the Rydges. The place is clean, but just not exciting. Location is within walking distance of a shopping area. Nothing to differentiate it from any other place you might have stayed. Reception staff were friendly.

Room Tip: Our view was a parking lot and the house next door with a lot of "stuff" in the yard.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
James B, Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Dear Jeffrey S,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. If you could perhaps email me your thoughts on your experience I would be happy to review how we can adjust the finer touches of our offering to be more personalised. My email address is james_billing@rydges.com. Thank you for your time and I hope you enjoy the remainder of your time in New Zealand,

Atlantic Beach, Florida
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I had a wonderful stay at the Rydges. It was a lovely hotel, much nicer than the cramped Comfort Inn Suites just down the road. Price was reasonable booked through Wotif at $100 for a king spa room. It's not new, but it was spacious and comfortable with good wifi and earned my highest rating.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank echolaine
James B, General Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Dear Echolaine,

Thank you for your kind review. I am glad you enjoyed the incredible size of our rooms, we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Hobart, Australia
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Rydges Rotorua was one stop of many on our honeymoon in the last month, and has been the only one thus far to not recognise it. It's not an expectation but it is something that makes for recommendations. The entrance is grand but investment is required throughout the entire building as it looks like a nursing home. The rooms are nice and large but the staff require training in the use of tile cleaning products for use in the bathroom. I don't even know why the taps for the sink were oriented wrong but they were better than the shower mixer tap that just fell off due to a loose grub screw. Something that should be picked up by a thorough cleaner. Overall the stay wasn't too bad except for leaving the side exit one morning to be showered by mud from the gutters as they were being pressure cleaned and no signage was displayed. It's common place now to place signage for just a wet floor. A guy on a roof with a high pressure cleaner raining down roof scum should probably be something you want to keep your paying guests away from.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
James B, General Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Dear James,

Firstly congratulations on your recent wedding and thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I would be interested to learn more about your experience as we usually pride ourselves on welcoming newlyweds to the hotel. Please feel free to email me on james_billing@rydges.com. I have spoken with the contractors who are currently repainting the building amongst other plans to renew certain areas of the hotel. I hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future to celebrate perhaps your anniversary.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 6 November 2013

The Entrance is huge, the location is awesome but Its nothing major WOW factor, its near to most of the activities, There is a Gas station and departmental store with 2 min drive. The hotel is clean, the staff is extremely helpful, I checked in late night but I was still assisted by reception staff. Let me tell you all hotel in New Zealand are clean as the country is clean :-)
The SPA was bit old but it was clean, I will say its descent place to spend a day or 2

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
James B, Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Dear Jignesh J,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feeback following your stay with us. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future,

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I booked at the last minute on Wotif.com for a weekend of fun with the kids. On arrival parts of the building were tired and a stair well smelt bad but ok. However, getting anything exciting on TV was not happening - no sky and no movies on demand to share later with the kids before they went to bed.

My initial concern was to wake up in the early evening with water pouring from the ceiling in the middle of the room - and from the bathroom ceiling but from the wrong places!. I called reception and was soon issued with a new room - no apology, no concern for my wet gear, no help with moving my stuff up 3 floors to the new room.

The following morning we arrived for breakfast - included in the deal. We had to wait 20 minutes to get a table - too bad if we needed to be somewhere!

On each table was a pad on which to take coffee orders :-). I wrote my order, and asked the waitress what to do with it - she said she could take it. She walked over and she stuck it to the top of coffee machine where there was no one making coffees. I could see the order still on the machine as we finished breakfast and left.

Overall, the pool is nice, but the hotel is tired - certainly not 4.5 stars

Room Tip: Choose another hotel....
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank 10centcoin
James B, Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Dear 10centcoin,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Please accept my apologies for the lack of empathy shown to you when the room upstairs over filled their bath. I have followed up with the team in relation to the service issues you experienced, and I would be happy to discuss these with you further. My email address is james_billing@rydges.com.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We stayed here for one night - good deal through WOTIF (paid $112 for a spa room, 2 X Queen beds). The location is great as the rooms at the back overlook a race course and you can view the major landmarks of Rotorua. Plus, you don't get the sulphur smell at Rydges. The look and feel is quite grand at the entrance, the rooms very spacious, the bathrooms are a bit tired but can't complain as it was still good value for money. In the end it turned out to be a good stay, no dramas and we would recommend to anyone if they are getting a good deal.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank vmakhni
James B, Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Dear Vmakhni,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay. The team were thrilled to see you had an enjoyable stay and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.