“Worn and Torn”
Review of Rydges Rotorua

Rydges Rotorua
Ranked #48 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
Reviewed 22 December 2013

A business/pleasure tour of the beautiful North and South Islands in October became the good, the bad and the ugly for hotel accommodations. Out of the lot - around 7 or 8 hotels along the way - this was the ugly. The place is dingy, dark, and would greatly benefit from a remodel. The "Workout Room" was so in need of cleaning (filthy) that I reported it to the front desk. To the hotel's credit, the following day I spotted two housekeepers giving it a dusting. Staff members are pleasant but seem to be as depressed as the guests who are stuck there. The restaurant was a big disappointment, too. Skip this one.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank getupandgonow
James B, General Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Dear getupandgonow,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. It is disappointing to read that the standards you experienced were not upto our required standards. I would welcome any further feedback you can provide me on your experience within Restaurant, my email address is james_billing@rydges.com.

Reviewed 19 December 2013

From start to finish, this hotel excelled. They had an affordable rate, a friendly welcome & provided customer service above & beyond what I would expect.
Free wifi, car parking, large, clean, well-kept rooms in a slightly dated hotel, meant that all in all, we had an affordable, value for money stay & will definitely consider coming again. And, as for the breakfast buffet, it was exceptional. Great hotel

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
James B, General Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2013

Dear YorkshireKiwi316,

Thank you very much for your kind words, the team were thrilled to learn you had a great stay. I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.
Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year,

Reviewed 18 December 2013

we couldn't. We have checked out after 3 minutes from check in. Dirty and tired bathroom made our stay that short. We heard in the reception that they don't have other rooms to change so we have chosen other hotel. Booking.com helped us with the change.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank agnielu
James B, General Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2013

Dear Agnielu,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I would be interested to learn more about your poor experience with us, if you could please contact me on james_billing@rydges.com.

Reviewed 17 December 2013

Took my two staff members there on the 6th December for our Christmas doo. When it comes to Christmas you shop around and like to treat your staff out somewhere nice, after all they have worked hard all year and look forward to it, and so do I. I was told when I rang to make the booking 2 days earlier..... that the buffet was great...... and has something from each country in it, so here is me thinking Great, this is the place for us. Now Rydges is a lovely place to go as far as after 5 dinner drinks, etc...... but when it comes to a buffet meal never again. customer service very very poor....no variety at all..... some of the food was cold. I paid $42.00 for this NEVER AGAIN!!!

Layout was good, but lacked in VARIETY. EG cold meats, hot meat carved meats....more than just 2 of them.....and to have cold chicken nuggets...and cold chips.....I found quiet bazzar.

Come on you guys you have a nice restaurant but to dish up very plain basic food of which I could have done better at home on....was just plain old SILLYNESS. I had to go up to reception on two occasions to ask for drinks as our waitress sat us down, but never to be seen again....only to clear off the dirty plates etc.....and that was all..... talk about great customer service!!!!.....very, very disappointing!!!!

Not only that, but this is Christmas and no Christmas music or atmosphere, Lovely restaurant to sit in, and have a drink, but that is all.

Would I go back, don't think so.....and wouldn 't recommend it to my guest either who come to stay at My MOTEL. can think of better choices in town than this $20.00 buffet meal.... that is what I think the meal is worth, nothing more and nothing less. Rydges you have disappointed me and my staff when it comes to a good buffet meal and CUSTOMER SERVICE.... I think the chef needs to go back to school and learn a few things....and your staff members need to take attention to detail when it comes to customers.

I think that the person in charge of the this Hotel needs to be a undercover boss to really sort out all the problems that this place has, as it is the only way I see the Hotel lifting its standards, .not only that I think that the chef needs to go back to school to learn a few things.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Fiona4361963

Good Morning Diane5278,

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your dining experience with us. I found you feedback insightful and rest assured I am following up all the aspects of your experience. If you wish to get in touch to discuss your experience further please feel free to contact me directly on my email address james_billing@rydges.com.

Reviewed 13 December 2013

The 5 of us stayed in a family room (the one with 3 big beds in the one room) for 3 nights in Dec 2013. The motel and facilities were great but what really stood out was the incredible service. The staff could not do enough for us. The restaurant staff were incredibly friendly and knew our children's preferences by the second day of our stay. They were kind, generous and informative. The Front Desk staff were equally fantastic. The kids ate free and they were more than happy with their choice of mains and completely blown away by their desserts and drinks (both very generous). The kids loved the indoor heated pool and my husband and I appreciated having a bar on site where we could have a quiet drink at the end of a busy day while the kids made use of the free wifi in the rooms. The beds were very comfortable, our bathroom was old but completely fine with great water pressure in the shower. No complaints. We would happily return.

• Stayed: December 2013

Dear Curlybug3,

Thank for taking the time to share your positive feedback with us. The team were thrilled to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to welcome you back in the near future,

Reviewed 4 December 2013

I called to book for 29th of december and the reservation agent is offering me high rate then booking.com offers. when i asked if she can match the price and she advised me to book through booking.com rather then booking from her.
i belive all the hotel try to keep the booking instead of telling not to book with them instead of telling them to book on 3rd party website.

I think they need to increase their customer service standard. i was really keen to book and stay with them and got really disappointed even before making an booking.

Room Tip: Better book on 3rd party wesite insted of calling them
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank RaviMorya4
James B, General Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Dear RaviMorya4,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am disappointed to learn about your experience and would welcome the opportunity to learn more about it. Additionally as if you still require accomodation I would love to hear from you. You can email me at any stage on james_billing@rydges.com. I would also mention that we do have a guarantee that you will get our best rate availability on rydges.com, the terms and conditions of which are listed on the website. Thank you for your time and consideration,

Reviewed 30 November 2013

Our suite consisted of two very large rooms, a separate huge bath tub, lots of space. The kitchen has all appliances including stove/oven, but no pots/pans, only plates, cutlery, and cups. Staff is very helpful. Saturday buffet is expensive but all sold out before we arrived.

• Stayed: November 2013

Dear 17Susan17,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind feedback with us following your recent stay. I am glad that you enjoyed our spacious rooms and hope that on your next stay you will be able to enjoy our popular Friday / Saturday buffett. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.