“Fantastic staff, spacious”

Ranked #43 of 93 Hotels in Rotorua
Palmerston North, New Zealand
“Fantastic staff, spacious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

Great value, very busy and still great service. We saw our friends accommodation elsewhere and count ourselves lucky. Had a deluxe spa room (bit tired in places) but very tidy and girls loved the space. Our balcony with the chairs was a relaxing place for my husband and I to enjoy. Breakfast offers a variety for all of us, great value for the special rate. Free WiFi was a bonus.
Room service was reasonably priced. Out of the CBD however we drove to all the attractions so this didn't affect us. Finally- amazing staff, from reception to room service. I don't comment on all the places I stay at but this was a great way to end a holiday, sad to leave today..cheers. We will be staying here next time in rotorua :)

Room Tip: Deluxe spa with a balcony
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Ajplus3
James B, General Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Dear Ajplus3,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. The staff were thrilled to learn that you had a great stay with us. It is good to see you were able to make use of our unlimited Free WIFI. We do hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future,

James Billing

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

Contrary to RYDGES branding, this hotel looked sad & tired in need of a proper re-fit and uplift in manning level at reception and concierge. Corridors were dimly lighted with fraying wallpaper and lifts interior were equally tired and well used. Painting works were notified to be in progress that may address some of the improvements required.
Room allotted was large, freshly painted but not air-conditioned - only equipped with a ceiling fan that was inadequate given the size of the room. Bathroom fittings were old and tired; shower head leaked at the wall joint when turned on while the toilet bowl was stained making it look dirty. Bedside table was small and quite a distance from the beds. Cabinet housing the minibar fridge was fraying at the edge while crockeries were inadequate.
Booking was made by tour agency, was glad to move onto next destination.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Winston I,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. As you mentioned we are currently in the process of repainting the building and will continue on through the property addressing the issues you outlined. I would welcome the opportunity to find out which room you stayed in so I can further follow up on your comments. My email address is james_billing@rydges.com.

James Billing

Travellers are raving about these Rotorua hotels

Memphis, Tennessee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2013

A business/pleasure tour of the beautiful North and South Islands in October became the good, the bad and the ugly for hotel accommodations. Out of the lot - around 7 or 8 hotels along the way - this was the ugly. The place is dingy, dark, and would greatly benefit from a remodel. The "Workout Room" was so in need of cleaning (filthy) that I reported it to the front desk. To the hotel's credit, the following day I spotted two housekeepers giving it a dusting. Staff members are pleasant but seem to be as depressed as the guests who are stuck there. The restaurant was a big disappointment, too. Skip this one.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank getupandgonow
Dear getupandgonow,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. It is disappointing to read that the standards you experienced were not upto our required standards. I would welcome any further feedback you can provide me on your experience within Restaurant, my email address is james_billing@rydges.com.

Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

From start to finish, this hotel excelled. They had an affordable rate, a friendly welcome & provided customer service above & beyond what I would expect.
Free wifi, car parking, large, clean, well-kept rooms in a slightly dated hotel, meant that all in all, we had an affordable, value for money stay & will definitely consider coming again. And, as for the breakfast buffet, it was exceptional. Great hotel

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
James B, General Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Dear YorkshireKiwi316,

Thank you very much for your kind words, the team were thrilled to learn you had a great stay. I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.
Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year,

Warsaw, Poland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

we couldn't. We have checked out after 3 minutes from check in. Dirty and tired bathroom made our stay that short. We heard in the reception that they don't have other rooms to change so we have chosen other hotel. Booking.com helped us with the change.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank agnielu
James B, General Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Dear Agnielu,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I would be interested to learn more about your poor experience with us, if you could please contact me on james_billing@rydges.com.

Rotorua, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

Took my two staff members there on the 6th December for our Christmas doo. When it comes to Christmas you shop around and like to treat your staff out somewhere nice, after all they have worked hard all year and look forward to it, and so do I. I was told when I rang to make the booking 2 days earlier..... that the buffet was great...... and has something from each country in it, so here is me thinking Great, this is the place for us. Now Rydges is a lovely place to go as far as after 5 dinner drinks, etc...... but when it comes to a buffet meal never again. customer service very very poor....no variety at all..... some of the food was cold. I paid $42.00 for this NEVER AGAIN!!!

Layout was good, but lacked in VARIETY. EG cold meats, hot meat carved meats....more than just 2 of them.....and to have cold chicken nuggets...and cold chips.....I found quiet bazzar.

Come on you guys you have a nice restaurant but to dish up very plain basic food of which I could have done better at home on....was just plain old SILLYNESS. I had to go up to reception on two occasions to ask for drinks as our waitress sat us down, but never to be seen again....only to clear off the dirty plates etc.....and that was all..... talk about great customer service!!!!.....very, very disappointing!!!!

Not only that, but this is Christmas and no Christmas music or atmosphere, Lovely restaurant to sit in, and have a drink, but that is all.

Would I go back, don't think so.....and wouldn 't recommend it to my guest either who come to stay at My MOTEL. can think of better choices in town than this $20.00 buffet meal.... that is what I think the meal is worth, nothing more and nothing less. Rydges you have disappointed me and my staff when it comes to a good buffet meal and CUSTOMER SERVICE.... I think the chef needs to go back to school and learn a few things....and your staff members need to take attention to detail when it comes to customers.

I think that the person in charge of the this Hotel needs to be a undercover boss to really sort out all the problems that this place has, as it is the only way I see the Hotel lifting its standards, .not only that I think that the chef needs to go back to school to learn a few things.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Fiona4361963
Good Morning Diane5278,

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your dining experience with us. I found you feedback insightful and rest assured I am following up all the aspects of your experience. If you wish to get in touch to discuss your experience further please feel free to contact me directly on my email address james_billing@rydges.com.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

The 5 of us stayed in a family room (the one with 3 big beds in the one room) for 3 nights in Dec 2013. The motel and facilities were great but what really stood out was the incredible service. The staff could not do enough for us. The restaurant staff were incredibly friendly and knew our children's preferences by the second day of our stay. They were kind, generous and informative. The Front Desk staff were equally fantastic. The kids ate free and they were more than happy with their choice of mains and completely blown away by their desserts and drinks (both very generous). The kids loved the indoor heated pool and my husband and I appreciated having a bar on site where we could have a quiet drink at the end of a busy day while the kids made use of the free wifi in the rooms. The beds were very comfortable, our bathroom was old but completely fine with great water pressure in the shower. No complaints. We would happily return.

• Stayed December 2013
Dear Curlybug3,

Thank for taking the time to share your positive feedback with us. The team were thrilled to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to welcome you back in the near future,