“Decent value”
Review of Rydges Rotorua

Rydges Rotorua
Ranked #49 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I would probably give this hotel a 3 1/2 rating. I was booked into this hotel on a tour. It provided modest accommodations. The key cards did not work for several of our group because they cancelled us out for our second night. That is somewhat annoying when you are a tired tourist, but probably not a common event. I liked the balcony in my room that overlooked the horse track, as there were horses training in the early am. The heat was interesting, as it must have been hot water heated by a plumbing rack in the room; nice for drying towels and clothing. The "hot" water pool in the indoor pool area was a nice feature. Our breakfast was above average for selection and I would rate this high except for the ambitious waitress/hostess who insisted on seating us where she wanted, not where we wanted to sit with our group.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
James B, General Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Dear JJane C,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. A number of guests had enjoyed watching the activities of the race course from their rooms. I was pleased to see you enjoyed our rise breakfast and I have shared your comments with the team in relation to seating in the restaurant. I do hope you continue to enjoy your tour around New Zealand and wish you safe travels back home.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

We are currently staying at the Rydges in Rotorua. Having previously stayed at other Rydges hotels we had high expectations for this location and were severely disappointed upon arrival. The hotel is old and seems to be a (poorly) refurbished hospital/hospice. Our room is G6 which is on the ground floor and is old, stale, dirty and has an eerie vibe. I will say that we received good service at reception, the facilities seem OK and the bed is nice, but everything else is sub-par. The bathroom had hairs in the shower when we arrived, the bathroom bench is bent on an angle and has been tacked in place with silicon, the dishes are dirty and the room smells ... odd. Location is average. We went out to dinner in town tonight and didn't want to go back to the room because it is so uninviting.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sinead_Booth

Dear Sinead_Booth,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your feedback whilst you were still in-house. I am glad that we were able to discuss the issues with you shortly after seeing your post and ensure that you enjoyed the remainder of your stay. I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future,

Reviewed 28 December 2013

Great value, very busy and still great service. We saw our friends accommodation elsewhere and count ourselves lucky. Had a deluxe spa room (bit tired in places) but very tidy and girls loved the space. Our balcony with the chairs was a relaxing place for my husband and I to enjoy. Breakfast offers a variety for all of us, great value for the special rate. Free WiFi was a bonus.
Room service was reasonably priced. Out of the CBD however we drove to all the attractions so this didn't affect us. Finally- amazing staff, from reception to room service. I don't comment on all the places I stay at but this was a great way to end a holiday, sad to leave today..cheers. We will be staying here next time in rotorua :)

Room Tip: Deluxe spa with a balcony
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Ajplus3
James B, General Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Dear Ajplus3,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. The staff were thrilled to learn that you had a great stay with us. It is good to see you were able to make use of our unlimited Free WIFI. We do hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future,

Reviewed 26 December 2013

Contrary to RYDGES branding, this hotel looked sad & tired in need of a proper re-fit and uplift in manning level at reception and concierge. Corridors were dimly lighted with fraying wallpaper and lifts interior were equally tired and well used. Painting works were notified to be in progress that may address some of the improvements required.
Room allotted was large, freshly painted but not air-conditioned - only equipped with a ceiling fan that was inadequate given the size of the room. Bathroom fittings were old and tired; shower head leaked at the wall joint when turned on while the toilet bowl was stained making it look dirty. Bedside table was small and quite a distance from the beds. Cabinet housing the minibar fridge was fraying at the edge while crockeries were inadequate.
Booking was made by tour agency, was glad to move onto next destination.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Winston I,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. As you mentioned we are currently in the process of repainting the building and will continue on through the property addressing the issues you outlined. I would welcome the opportunity to find out which room you stayed in so I can further follow up on your comments. My email address is james_billing@rydges.com.

Reviewed 22 December 2013

A business/pleasure tour of the beautiful North and South Islands in October became the good, the bad and the ugly for hotel accommodations. Out of the lot - around 7 or 8 hotels along the way - this was the ugly. The place is dingy, dark, and would greatly benefit from a remodel. The "Workout Room" was so in need of cleaning (filthy) that I reported it to the front desk. To the hotel's credit, the following day I spotted two housekeepers giving it a dusting. Staff members are pleasant but seem to be as depressed as the guests who are stuck there. The restaurant was a big disappointment, too. Skip this one.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank getupandgonow

Dear getupandgonow,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. It is disappointing to read that the standards you experienced were not upto our required standards. I would welcome any further feedback you can provide me on your experience within Restaurant, my email address is james_billing@rydges.com.

Reviewed 19 December 2013

From start to finish, this hotel excelled. They had an affordable rate, a friendly welcome & provided customer service above & beyond what I would expect.
Free wifi, car parking, large, clean, well-kept rooms in a slightly dated hotel, meant that all in all, we had an affordable, value for money stay & will definitely consider coming again. And, as for the breakfast buffet, it was exceptional. Great hotel

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
James B, General Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2013

Dear YorkshireKiwi316,

Thank you very much for your kind words, the team were thrilled to learn you had a great stay. I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.
Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year,

Reviewed 18 December 2013

we couldn't. We have checked out after 3 minutes from check in. Dirty and tired bathroom made our stay that short. We heard in the reception that they don't have other rooms to change so we have chosen other hotel. Booking.com helped us with the change.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank agnielu
James B, General Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2013

Dear Agnielu,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I would be interested to learn more about your poor experience with us, if you could please contact me on james_billing@rydges.com.