“Quiet and comfortable”
Review of Rydges Rotorua

Rydges Rotorua
Ranked #46 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Located pretty close to the central area of Rotorua, where all the shops, restaurants and the museum are. About a 20 minute walk, along a straight and level street. Rooms very spacious, good baths, quiet and comfortable. The Atrium hotel restaurant was decent, quite good fresh fish. The breakfast buffet was somewhat drab.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
James B, General Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Dear GreggSt_Louis,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience following your recent stay with us. I appreciate your comments and I have followed up with the team. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel on your next return trip to New Zealand and we wish you a safe trip home.

There are newer reviews for Rydges Rotorua

Reviewed 27 April 2014

This was the first time we had ever stayed in a hotel in Rotorua. Usually we stay in motels. The Rydges was cheaper even with the full breakfast for everyone. The room was big. The kids loved the pool. We thouroughly enjoyed our stay. We will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: 4th floor rooms have high ceilings

Dear Tracey B,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. The team were excited to learn you and your family had a great stay and in particular made full use of our indoor swimming pool. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next return trip to Rotorua.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

My son and I arrived for two days to find we had been up graded to a King Spa Suite at no extra cost to us. We were dwarfed by the share size of what appeared to us to be more like an apartment. We soooo enjoyed our time here. The staff were very friendly, the food was very good and the breakfast menu is plentiful with a plus.
Thank you Rydges for supplying us both with a "happy" and very affordable experience.

Dear Vallows,

Thank you for your kind comments and the team were excited to learn you and your son had a great stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future,

Reviewed 24 April 2014

We have stayed here before and have always had a great time and the service has been fantastic. This trip the service was dreadful, however this rests with the management not the poor staff who appear to have been thrown in the deep end. We stayed on Good Friday night and were told the bar was closed due it being Good Friday despite the fact there was a poster in our room telling us to come to the bar between 5 and 7 for Happy Hour. They did say we could get a drink from the restaurant and sit down What appeared to be the waitress from the dining room served the drinks not something i think and the other 6 people waiting she had done before She told me she would get more Lemon as she felt the lemon in the bar was old. When she asked her manager to get the lemon he said no just give her the lemon from the fridge. WHAT Rydges you need to up your game Simple fix would have been to leave a note in the room to say due to Good Friday the bar was closed however room service was available. THe rooms are huge but tired and the TV did not ge the stations advertised. ON the plus side beautiful beds

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the racecourse. Beautiful waking up to the sound of the horses training in a...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sharon and Doug M

Dear Sharon & Doug M,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I have tried to contact you to discuss your experience further with no luck. Please do contact me my email address is james_billing@rydges.com.

Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

In a place full of motels, Rotorua struggles to have a decent hotel until I stayed here at Rydges Rotorua. This hotel has it all, great service, clean rooms and the extensive breakfast buffet was just awesome! Special mention to the General Manager James Billing for personally greeting us on arrival. Thanks again Rydges Rotorua! We'll be back!

Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank David L

Dear David L,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, it was a pleasure to welcome you and your family to the hotel. We look forward to your next return stay in Rotorua,

Reviewed 17 April 2014

It was a bit excited when I booked this one by seeing it is a 4.5 star plus international brand hotel, and even got free room upgrade as part of the deal, room is big size though bathroom is a bit age but you get what you pay for. BUT! I don't care much about the room size or facility, it is the noise, and more importantly, the way you deal with my complaint about the noise is really poor.
After 3 hours drive from Akl and arrive at 10pm with two toddlers, finally gave them bath and put onto the bed which is already 11pm, then upstairs start "dancing" or "horse racing" or whatever, man, it is 11pm..... I then start calling reception who advise they will go up and check, 10 mins past, noise still remain, called again, said they have checked out side both my room and their room and couldn't hear a sound, come on, I hear the noise from inside my room, not outside. Called again 10mins later because noise remain, front desk manager sent porter up again, and said he would get him to talk to the people upstairs, still, noise remain, I then go to the front desk who advise me there are only two adults upstairs and noise could even be from other room next to me, which I am so angry and ask if he wants to come into my room and test it! I then walked upstairs and try to see what happened, room door was open, a young boy is running in and out, another two adults just come out from that room where I was told there are only two adults up there! And guess what time is then? 11:45pm!!!!Exactly 45 mins since I first called up, my little one was waken up, me and my wife are stress and couldn't get back to sleep even after a long day and 3 hours of driving!

If the can deal with this properly right from the start, things can be so different! Why you don't trust us that we hear the noise from upstairs from the very first instance?

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank jordidu0663
James B, General Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Dear Jordidu0663,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. As I have mentioned in my email to you please accept my apologies for the disruption to your stay with us last night. I appreciate that the team could have done more and would only want to mention that the noise whilst annoying was intermittent. I do hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the near future,

Reviewed 16 April 2014

I would like to pass on my thanks to you and the staff at the Rydges Rotorua for the excellent customer service my friends and I received from your staff during our stay in Rotorua in April.

We particularly appreciated your Duty Manager, of his own initiative, getting all 5 of us to the Events Centre on time for prize giving on Saturday night when our taxi had not arrived. We arrived, sat down and prize giving started and this was important to us as one from our group had placed 3rd in his event.

I also appreciated, as did my friends, being placed in a superior upgraded room during the weekend. The spacious facilities was a relaxing environment for us to group in before and after dinner. I understand that we were all received room upgrades for the weekend and that was much appreciated by all of us.

Thanks again,
Warren Taylor

Room Tip: Book early. Rooms on the racecourse side are quiet.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Warren,

Firstly thank you for taking the time to share your experience. The team on the desk were excited to read your comments and glad to learn that you made it to your event in time. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.