“Enjoyed the spa”

Ranked #45 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
NSW, Australia
“Enjoyed the spa”
Reviewed 8 December 2008

We enjoyed our 2 night stay. The room was older style decor, but tasteful and not cramped - even with 2 queen beds. We loved the view overlooking the racecourse, and also the spa-bath in its own little room .... but not at the same time, as it was a shame the glass window didn't go low enough for a view from the bath.
The entrance and lobby were awesome - but the back entrance was definitely not that flash! Also some difficulty getting big bags out the back way. Breakfast was excellent - but would be nice if proper coffee included rather than a "pay extra". We didn't dine in house - but can recommend the Tamaki Cultural experience, while in town. It's worth every cent!

• Stayed January 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
GraemeRutherford, General Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this review, 28 December 2008
Dear Yambagal,

I thank you for taking the time to submit your views of our Hotel. I appreciate your subjective comments - both the good & bad - and also the constructive way you have written your comments.

I hope the rest of your trip to New Zeland went well and if ever you return to Rotorua I hope we can be of service to you again.

Regards and a Happy New Year
Graeme.

General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 30 November 2008

I stayed here to keep a friend company and she had booked it online. I probably wouldnt have stayed if I had read the reviews beforehand but have to say I thought it was good value for money. Yes, the hallways and rear entrance area was a bit dated but the rooms were very spacious. The lobby and restaurant area were absolutely lovely. The staff in the restaurant were all very pleasant apart from one girl who was just going through the motions. The other brilliant thing is because I had a Rydges card we got 20% off all food and beverage so we thought that was great. We were on the ground floor and had an elephant in the room above who appeared to go to bed at 2am and then awake at 7am, but I always wear earplugs when staying in hotels so that blocked out most of it. I would stay there again as it was clean and roomy and very quiet (no traffice noise) and the staff were all good. The food in the restaurant wasnt fantastic but it was fine for the price we paid. Compared with prices to stay in Europe and Singapore this is excellent value.

• Liked — 20% discount off food and the awesome massage from Andrea
  • Disliked — Elephant upstairs
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dear Trip Advisor Member

(sorry but I couldn't address you as Piglethead - it just didn't feel right).

Thank you so much for your comments - I really appreciate the honest points you have made. Indeed past reviews of the hotel have been somewhat negative - and at times I feel that they may have been preconceived. However our regular guests have certainly noticed improvements with regards to service and cleanliness within the hotel.

We certainly don't promote ourself as a five star hotel - but indeed a true 4 star property - with a great team of staff that strive to give great and honest service.

Again it was great to read your views and I thank you for taking the time to submit them

england
Reviewed 24 November 2008

Considering this is a big chain hotel, which from the outside looks nice, the interior and the whole hotel is very average and a great disappointment. It is shown as a 4 star but Ive stayed in nicer 3 star venues! On entering our very basic, and not at all luxurious room, we found the fridge and power point to be faulty. The TV remote was held together with cellotape and we could see damp in one of the ceiling corners. The lobby staff gave us an average welcome but 1 female member of staff in paricular was very abrupt and did not make any of her instructions clear. Internet was very expensive. Overall the hotle was very very average and not a venue to be revisited by ourselves.

• Liked — Close to town
  • Disliked — Rooms, very dated and in need of a serious upgrade
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
Dear Royston33,

I appreciate your comments and understand the points you made. Certainlly I will investigate as to the power point issues and the remote control unit. Thank you also for your opinion on the hotel interior - although I do feel the foyer and restaurant areas of the hotel are one of the best in Rotorua in terms of first up appeal and appearance.

Again thank you for your comments and I will address the ones that need attending to.

Graeme Rutherford

Travellers are raving about these Rotorua hotels

Reviewed 28 October 2008

This hotel publicises the fact it has large rooms and that is not incorrect. The rooms are super-sized and look pretty impressive when you walk in, but they really could benefit with a makeover. Very tired in places and the age of the room obviously makes it hard for the hotel staff to keep pristine.
But not a bad place to stay at all, nice view from the balcony over the racecourse and good hotel facilities. The full buffet breakfast included in the NZ$119 we paid was a great sweetener too. Good selection and made the overall cost seem very reasonable. I would stay here again.

• Liked — Breakfast and the large rooms
  • Disliked — Standard of some of the room facilities, a little tired.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
GraemeRutherford, General Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this review, 29 October 2008
Dear Hunm,

thank you for your comments, and I am glad to see that positives were experienced. I take on board your comments regarding the rooms and am delighted to say we hope to make changes to them in the coming 12 months.

I expect to be able to brighten up the guest rooms with a slightly different bedding look and then give the rooms a fresh coat of paint with a lighter colour to the current scheme. Pending this project we certainly hope to make inroads into improving the bathrooms looking ahead to 2009/10.

Again many thanks for taking the time to write your review and I hope we can cater to your needs again in the future.

Rydges Rotorua.
Reviewed 24 October 2008

We found Rydges to be an awesome hotel - we had a really great time there. The decor is smart and attractive, the rooms are very clean and there is a good sense of spaciousness in the public areas. Yes, there are some water stains in the bathroom, but where there are lots of minerals in the water, stains tend to develop - thats just one of the features of visiting Rotorua. It goes with the territory, like the smells!
The staff were so friendly and everything works just as you'd expect it to. I'd recommend a stay in this hotel - it's got a quiet, but central location, secure but free parking, and I like the central 'atrium' concept of the hotel's architectural design.

• Liked — Spaciousness, cleanliness
  • Disliked — Hotel restaurant
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Excuse the title - but....

Dear Xena Warrior Teacher,

Thank you for taking the time to right the comments about your recent stay in Rotorua. I really appreciate both the feedback and the positive nature of your comments. It can certinly be difficult at times to maintain pristine standards for all guests and I am certainly stressing the importance of our service levels to the team here with the on-going improvements that are made to the hotel.

We certainly hope to bring a brighter aspect to our guest rooms in the coming 12 months and then hope to look at revitalising our guest bathrooms after that point.

Again many thanks for the comments and I appreciate your alter ego name.....

Graeme Rutherdford
Rydges Rotorua
Reviewed 21 September 2008

We have just got back from a weekend at this hotel. I alot of what i have read on these reviews was right. I stayed here when it first opened and it was very flash... a few years down the track and it is definately showing signs of dating.

I found the bathrooms faily unpleasent. There was splater on the tiles by the sink and toilet, and also a few hairs on the floor which is rather gross. Twice, are room card stopped working so we had to walk the hole way around the building which is an inconveinice more then anything. The hotel is also extremely warm, which at times can be unpleasent, that god that we had air con.

For $139 i feel pretty let down. I wouldn't pay this to stay there again. I would have bought this up at reception upon checking out but there was a que of people waiting so decided to leave it. Now that i have finished writing this, i actually feel quite dissapointed with hotel and the service. I do hope things improve quickly.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Dear Leah88,

Thank you for submitting your comments on the site. I really appreciate you taking the time to do that. I appreciate your comments and will endeavour to investigate some of them more thoroughly. We have seen some great improvements in guest service in recent months. However more work still to be done in terms of standards within the property.

Thank you again for your comments - and feel free to contact me directly in the future if I can assist you in any way.

Kawerau
Reviewed 20 August 2008

Rooms were Huge and outdated really bad. we went back and asked for a refund. No Airconditioning in rooms!

Also attended a wedding here which was great.

Stayed January 2008
1 Thank ntegra
GraemeRutherford, General Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this review, 24 August 2008
Dear Ntegra,

Thank you for the feedback I appreciate the sentiment of your comments however I would like to add that the guest rooms have indeed be re-carpeted and re-painted within the last 2 years. While not all rooms have airconditioning we expect that all rooms will indeed have seperate heat pumps within 12-18 months - we hope to be starting the installation of the next 60 rooms shortly. I was pleased to hear you enjoyed your time at the wedding reception.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your observations

Kind regards,