“Great location & enjoyable stay”

Holiday Inn Rotorua
Ranked #17 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
GreenLeadersBronze level
Sydney, Australia
“Great location & enjoyable stay”
Reviewed 18 February 2012

We stayed four nights paying $95NZD for the secret room on lastminute.com.au
Bed and pillows very comfortable. Although on the cosy side (1 queen & 1 single) the room was clean, modern and comfortable. It faced the car park and was a great base to crash each night.

Customer service was overall excellent; friendly, welcoming and all requests greeted with a smile and willingness to help. The only meal at the hotel was a shared hot breakfast one morning via room service which we couldn't finish as it was so much food.

The hotel is just tucked away from the busy hotel/motel main strip with quick easy access to the activities in Rotorua and approx. 45min drive to Lake Taupo. The sulphar smell is throughout the whole of Rotorua and maybe just a little stronger here due to being next to the thermal waters although it didn't concern us.

Only nitpick would be the aged lifts that close too quick.

Some highlights of our stay:
'Eruptor' navy boat ride on Lake Taupo - up to 95km an hour on the water out to the Maori wall carving. Fun fun fun - we had a smile the whole time as did the pensioners from England! 1hr - $65

Waikato River cruise to Huka Falls - Very knowledgeable and friendly guide. Relaxing with great photo opportunities.
1hr20mins - $35 (We learned of the Eruptor on this cruise)

Tamaki Maori Village - informative, entertaining including the teaching of the Haka, and of course a great meal with the Hangi. Included return transfer from the hotel with 'Wati' the bus driver entertaining all with his singing on the return
$105

Polynesian Spa with spa therapy (mud body polish/aix combo)
$150 - first time experience would allow more time for soaking in the pools if we went again

Skyline Rotorua - great views of Lake Rotorua and the city. Great fun on the luge!
$41 - gondola and 3x luge

Aorangi Peak Restaurant - fine dining with spectaculator views of the Lake and city of Rotorua (located on the same mountain as Skyline but higher up). Included pick up and return in a Mercedes allowing both of us to enjoy the wine.

'Redwoods' - forest located next to the Hotel. Allow more time for the walks than indicated. The 2-3hr walk takes you to views of the geyers behind the hotel.

There is a lot on offer in Rotorua for all ages and we're glad we allowed the four days.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LSSydney
GManagerRotorua, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rotorua, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
Dear LSSydney,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Holiday Inn Rotorua and for placing feedback.
We are presently reviewing our electronic systems, to identify where we might be able to make improvements in the future, and your comments around the lifts have been included in our considerations. Our lifts are well maintained with security/safety beams fitted, and the door closing mechanism is serviced regularly to ensure the doors don’t close on any guests.

I am pleased you found the bed and pillows very comfortable, it is very rewarding to know you have rested well here with us, and very cool to read of the enjoyable activities you took pleasure in experiencing in and around Rotorua.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to place feedback on Trip Advisor. We look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Rotorua next time you visit our region.

Marcus Keenan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 16 February 2012

We stayed at the Holiday Inn while in Rotorua. I found the hotel to be very dated we stayed in a standard room the first night and then shifted to the Executive Suite for the other 3 nights. We found the lifts to be very outdated as it was hard to get suitcases in and out of the lift and also you did not need to use your room key to use the lifts which to me is a security issue.
The Breakfast was ok and dinner buffet was ordinary. The air conditioning did not work in our bedroom which was fixed the next day.

Room Tip: A room with a view
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear debchef1 1,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Holiday Inn Rotorua recently, and for taking the time to comment on Trip Advisor.

As we have recently moved from hard keys to electronic keys, we have not previously had the capability or need to have electronic card access to floors active in our lifts. As we move forward, this will be looked at as part of any lift upgrade. Our lifts are regularly checked and serviced, and our guest service attendants are more than happy to transfer your luggage for you.

I was disappointed to read that the air conditioning did not work in your room, and pleased it was able to be rectified the next day. That must have been frustrating for you and I apologise for the inconvenience caused.

Thank you again for placing valuable feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Rotorua next time you travel our way.

Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 16 February 2012

I enjoyed staying here. It had a lovely large outdoor hot pool, good comfortable rooms and an excellent buffet restaurant. For breakfast, there were options to have cheap small breakfasts, or a cooked a la carte breakfast, or a buffet breakfast. All the food was of good quality. Also, the hotel does a free shuttle into town. A relaxing and comfortable place to stay.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Michelle M
Dear Michelle M,

I am pleased you were able to relax and enjoy the comfort of our rooms, and quality of our buffet restaurant. We aim to provide affordable options to suit a range of needs and it is great to read that you found our products to be of good quality.

Again, thank you for placing your feedback on Trip Advisor. We look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Rotorua next time you travel our way.

new york
Reviewed 8 February 2012

In November, 2011, I spent several days at this Holiday Inn resort with my son. It is adjacent to a Maori Village and thermal springs. Warm swimming pool which is heated by thermal springs, but not filled by it, possibly because the thermal springs had a strong H2S(hydrogen sulfide) odor(rotten eggs) which occasionally wafted into the connecting corridor, but never the hotel rooms. My son didn't know what it was, but having been to several thermal areas before(eg. Yellowstone) it was very familiar, but I thought added to the "charm" reminding me of where I was. Great location to start a driving trip to the North Island since it is 2-3 hours from Auckland. More touristy than I thought, with many hotels with different rates. Lots of things to do. As a matter of fact I think there is more "to do" than "to see". Hotel had a great Maori cultural show couple of times per week with good food and a great show. Actually, the reason I chose to start my trip in Rotorua was because the fact that it was the center of the Maori culture appealed to me. Can see the Agrodome farm visit, go horseback riding, hiking, and then head off to other parts of the the island to go fishing, sphelunking in gloworm caves, boating/sailing, beaching, wine tasting and hobbit visiting. Sorry I missed the South Island, but I will be back!

Room Tip: Nice view of the thermal hot springs with picture windows. I have photos, but will have to add them...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank arvinchin
Dear arvinchin,

I am pleased you enjoyed our Cultural Show & Feast, and your Deluxe room overlooking the Whakarewarewa Maori Village and Thermal Springs.

I really liked your comment about there being more ‘to do’ than ‘see’ in Rotorua. We have an abundance of natural scenic beauty in our forests, lakes, mountains and geothermal wonderlands, and are also an adventure destination where the world comes to play!

You are quite right about this being a great location from which to begin a driving trip around the North Island, with so many world class attractions easily within a few hours drive.

Thank you again, we really appreciate you taking the time to place your feedback, and look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Rotorua next time you visit our part of the world.

Kind regards,

Armidale, Australia
Reviewed 31 January 2012

Stayed for two nights in January 2012 with a family of four. Got upgraded on check in to view over the Whakerewarewa Thermal Village and also allowed to check in early. This was a great start. The rooms were great and so was the view of the Village, comfy beds and nice decor. It was misty rain on the first day so the pool was great as it is very warm. On the second day it when it was very hot the pool was too warm for my liking but still better than a freezing cold pool.
It is a very comfortable hotel and offers good rates. If you are just travelling through Rotorua like we were i think it is a great option like Fi-W-Scotland has mentioned. However, I will qualify that although I did not pay for the thermal village views i think it added to my stay. It was a pretty unique view of steaming pools and when we were in the room added to the holiday.
Parking is free out the front of the property.

Room Tip: Thermal views add to character hotel.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
GManagerRotorua, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rotorua, responded to this review, 12 February 2012
Dear yeye007,

I am pleased we were able to upgrade you to a room overlooking the Whakarewarewa Thermal Village, and that you enjoyed the hotel pools and comfy beds. We appreciate the importance of resting well – especially when you are travelling with a family of four!

It is great to know that you have enjoyed your time with us. We really do appreciate you taking the time to place feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Rotorua next time you travel our way.

Scotland
Reviewed 29 January 2012

We only stayed one night at the Holiday Inn on our road trip through New Zealand, and for this it was perfect. It wasn't one of the most expensive places we used and therefore we didn't have terribly high hopes but it was clean, with good amenities, friendly staff and the comfiest bed ever!

Good sized room overlooking the car park (but we didn't travel NZ to sit in our room so who cares), with really soft bedding but comfy firm bed. A little away from the main centre of Rotorua but again this suited us as we were travelling and so had a car. We were out at night and so didn't try the restaurant but did si tin the bar before/after going out and it was pleasant enough.

Some have commented that it smelled - not true. The town of Rotorua smells with the sulphur pool - the hotel was not smelly in itself - in fact we could hardly smell anything from our room.

All in all, I would book again if travelling - I don't think I would choose Rotorua for longer than a couple of nights anyway. Hotel is right next door to the Whakerewarewa Thermal Village which is very worth a visit for the guided tour.

Room Tip: If only staying for a night, don't pay for a view - you're not on holiday to sit in your roo...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Fi-W-Scotland
Dear Fi-W-Scotland,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Holiday Inn Rotorua recently and for taking the time to comment on Trip Advisor.

I am pleased that you appreciated our unique location, next to the Whakarewarewa Thermal Village and geothermal valley. It was great to read that you got out and about and enjoyed some of the neat attractions Rotorua has to offer.

Thank you for acknowledging our friendly staff and clean facilities. We receive an abundance of positive feedback about our hotel beds, and I am not surprised to read that yours was the comfiest bed ever!

Kind regards,

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 19 January 2012

We booked for a long w/e in Rotorua at quite late notice last week and were surprised to find that the hotel (in which we've stayed at least 6 or 7 times before) had changed from the 'Park Heritage Hotel' to a member of the Holiday Inn franchise. Notwithstanding a few apprehensioins about that, the hotel was basically very good and we thoroughly enjoyed our short stay. Of course, as with much of what most of the north island has been like this summer, the weather wasn't that good - being quite showery and with a cold, cold wind. But that was one of the reasons we went to Rotorua and the hotel because we decided that swimming in the sea at home (north shore of Auckland) is way too cold for us this year, so the warm/hot swimming pool of what we knew as the Park Heritage was very appealing! And, sure enough, the swimming pool is the same - perhaps a bit warmer than we recall it, and the two separate outdoor spa pools didn't seem as hot as before. But the pool was nice - well maintained and big enough to have a 'bit' of a swim.
We'd booked a Superior room, furnished with two queen sized beds and a choice of soft or firm pillows. The LG flat screen TV was reasonably good with a standard selection of free to air and basic Sky channels. (Not being Sky subscribers it always amazes us to see the rubbish that people actually pay their hard-earned money for on Sky!!). There's no minibar, but a good fridge in which you can put your own stuff, and a good selection of glasses along with the simple tea/coffee making facilities. The bathroom was more than reasonable, and was clean.
We didn't eat in the hotel, not because there's anything wrong with the Chapmans restaurant - more that we liked being out and about eating locally. Capers, in Eruera St offers excellent breakfasts (and meals all day for that matter). We also went to the Cafe de Paris in Hinemoa St which is genuinely French and also offers a great breakfast. We self catered our first night's dinner and ate out the other two nights. We thoroughly enjoyed Yamato Japanese restaurant in Pukuatua St where you sit at the bar and watch the chef slice and dice the immaculately fresh fish for your sashimi and sushi. Also went to the Thai restaurant in Tutakenkai St, but, to be honest, we didn't enjoy that meal as much as we have done at the same place in the past. (Maybe these should have been separate reviews from the hotel - sorry about that!).
Rotorua offers great walks around and about the Lake. It's almost a must-do for us to go for one of the walks in the Redwoods each time we go there. There are plenty of other activities to keep you busy if you want - though this time we just wanted a long w/e to chill out, relax, read books and have walks. Perfect.
I'd have to say that our reception at the hotel was less than wholeheartedly welcoming this time. Maybe the staff member involved was having a bad day. Also, whilst we have always had the option to have a a paper (usually Saturday morning's) left outside the room at this hotel, we weren't given that option this time. There was no card on the back of the door to request a paper. When I went down to ask if I could order a paper I was advised (by the same staff member) that I could only have a paper if I was a Priority Club member of Holiday Inn - which I'm not. So, even when I asked if I could have a paper delivered to our room and put on my account I was advised it would only be if there were any left. So I was a bit miffed about that!
Next morning, however, there was a paper outside our room and there were also several papers available in the lobby for guests to pick, so goodness knows what that was all about. As I said - maybe a bad day.
On the Sunday night my wife went down to ask about becomming a Priority Club member - which was immediate and free to join (I hadn't been offered that opportunity!) and we duly received our copy of the Herald on Monday.
Overall though, it's still a good place to stay. There was nothing much on in Rotorua that w/e - so the hotel and the pool were commensurately quiet, which was quite nice for us.
A bit out of town (being adjacent to Whakarewarewa) but it's quiet and peaceful - it feels reasonably secure as far as your car is concerned, (all outdoor parking in the hotel grounds) although there's some pretty dinghy housing nearby - and we just enjoy the place. So, Holiday Inn or not, we think it's still a good place to stay. No doubt we will go again and I'd be happy to promote it as a 4 star recommendation.

Room Tip: The 'Superior' rooms, overlooking the pool, were about $15 a night extra and we thought were...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank strts
Dear strts,

I am pleased that you came back to our Hotel, despite your misgivings over the brand change. Although we have changed brand, the ownership of the hotel has not changed, and we still have mostly the same great team of people here.

It was great to see that you got out and about and enjoyed some of the neat restaurants and attractions that Rotorua has to offer. And that you made the most of your time here at the hotel, by spending time in our popular, thermally heated pool and spas.

I am pleased to read that you experienced the difference between a Standard and Superior room, and that a little extra cost provided a lot more value in terms of your enjoyment of your room. Also, that you became a member of our ‘free to join’ Priority Club, which gives additional benefits, among which are the complimentary newspaper you mentioned. I apologise that you weren’t offered that when you checked in, and that your arrival wasn’t as warm and welcoming as you are accustomed to receiving here.

We really do appreciate you taking the time to place feedback. All correspondence, positive or negative, assists us in working towards improving our service, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Rotorua next time you come to town.