“Location isn't a deterrent at all!”

Holiday Inn Rotorua
Ranked #18 of 93 Hotels in Rotorua
GreenLeadersBronze level
Singapore
“Location isn't a deterrent at all!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2012

Even though the hotel isn’t situated near the city centre, it’s really no big deal because the hotel provides a complimentary shuttle service that leaves on the hour (on request) that takes about 5 minutes to reach the Rotorua i-site. For tourists like me, it’s all about location, location, location, and I only found out about this service after digging a bit deeper into the hotel website, so perhaps it’d be good for the hotel to advertise this service a little more prominently on their website? Prior arrangement can be made at the hotel lobby if you need a pick-up from the tourism i-site, or you can use the phone inside the i-site to arrange for one. Do note that the i-site closes in the evening (5.30pm I think), so please remember to arrange for a pick up if you intend to stay out beyond the i-site’s opening hours!

The hotel interior is quite clean and quite pleasant. What I like about the lobby is that there is this corner near the lifts dedicated to brochures for the individual tourist attractions, saved me the trouble of having to go to the i-site to get them. Even though some of these brochures fly off the shelves pretty quickly, they are refilled very promptly. The front-desk staff are generally polite and friendly; they never fail to greet you with a warm smile each time you enter the lobby. It was not all rosy smiles unfortunately; I approached the front desk and specifically asked for help on taking the CityRide to Skyline Rotorua & Rainbow Springs as it was much cheaper (NZ$2.30 per person). Much to my chagrin, the staff just brushed me off, saying that the service was “too complicated for a tourist to understand”. Instead he started recommending drivers for private hire or the CitySights bus which cost at least minimum NZ$30 per person. When I asked if there were any other cheaper alternatives, he merely suggested he could call a cab for me. I was quite disappointed because when I put the same question to the staff at the tourism i-site, I found out that the CityRide bus service isn’t “too complicated for a tourist to understand” at all!

My family signed up for our accommodation at Holiday Inn via a tour company, which offered complimentary dinner, where we had the option of Hangi dinner or buffet at Chapman’s. However since the Hangi dinner and performance wasn’t available that day, we opted for dinner at Chapman’s instead. Dinner was good, the food was delicious, and the spread was acceptable. It would be helpful if they could label their desserts; I didn’t have a clue as to what I was eating sometimes. Some of the desserts were too rich, and too much of an overkill in my opinion. Turns out that Chapman’s is really popular; the place was really crowded with diners. I think they were a little understaffed that day too; took a while before someone came to clear the plates. Near the end of dinner, while we were enjoying a cup of tea, one of the service crew came up to us and handed us the bill. Puzzled, we explained to her that our dinner was complimentary. She went off to check, so we waited, but the thing is, she never came back to confirm it with us. I wished she could’ve handled this more professionally.

My rooms were very nice and clean. The beds were awesome; my nights of sleep here were enjoyable and comfortable. The channels available on TV were great; I got to watch so many movies at night! The toilet was really clean; the shower’s water pressure was just right. You have to turn on the air-conditioning system to keep the sulphurous smell out of the room; otherwise it gets pungent and unbearable, especially in an enclosed area. My room was facing the thermal area, and actually high up enough to see the Pohutu Geyser erupting from afar. Unfortunately there was this tall tree right in front of it, so no photo moments from my room. Other than that, the rooms were fantastic; it made my stay so enjoyable.

Even though I encountered two little incidents mentioned above, it didn’t affect my stay here, because honestly, I have been nothing but impressed so far with the really high service standards in New Zealand, so these are probably just isolated incidents. Nevertheless, I still had a great stay here at Holiday Inn, and I recommend it with the hopes that you’ll find stay in Rotorua as great as I did!

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors will have a better view of Pohutu Geyser Rooms facing the hotel entrance ten...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
GManagerRotorua, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rotorua, responded to this review, 20 June 2012
Dear Marc91C,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Holiday Inn Rotorua and for taking the time to place feedback on Trip Advisor. It’s fantastic to know you had a great stay here and were able to take advantage of the facilities we offer. I am pleased to see you have rested and slept well here, and enjoyed the view of Pohutu geyser from the comfort of your room.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Rotorua next time you travel our way.

Marcus Keenan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2012

Plus:
1. Super comfy pillows
2. Awesome heated pool (perfect temp) & jacuzzi (at 39 deg. it was quite burning hot)
3. Friendly staff (just like most Holiday Inns worldwide)
4. Yum breakfast buffet at Chapman's (if staying on Fri or Sat make sure you dine starting around half past 8 or 9am so most tourist group guests are done eating & the place isn't crowded)
5. Good room interior (nice wall painting, flat screen tv, lighting, presentation)

A little on the minus side:
1. Bathroom fittings are quite outdated but clean nevertheless. Towel rack should be at the end of the shower tub, not above the toilet bowl, etc...
2. Number of towels & cups are lacking. Eg. if 3 persons are booked in the rm. they should ensure that there are 3 towels and not just 2, same case with cups...

Otherwise, it was still a good stay = )

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
GManagerRotorua, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rotorua, responded to this review, 27 May 2012
Dear sdanos,

It was good to read that you enjoyed the pools and super comfy pillows, and were pleased with your breakfast buffet dining experience in Chapman’s Restaurant.

It was disappointing to read that you weren’t allocated the correct number of amenities in your room for the number of guests staying, and I apologise for the inconvenience caused. Our friendly staff are always able to deliver more to your room when required.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Rotorua next time you come to town.

Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2012

My husband and I went back to stay at this hotel when we travelled to New Zealand to see our grandchildren.
This was our second stay and we were greeted by friendly staff who remembered us. They also made our grandchildren very welcome when they came to the hotel to spend time with us.
The lobby is expansive and impressive and contains a gift shop. The large sparkling outdoor pool is thermally heated all year to over 34 C.. However there are no outside change rooms but there is a lovely area to lounge around the pool or have lunch. There is also a spa and gym.The hotel adjoins a thermal village which is very interesting.
Our room was large and well-appointed and we slept well.
Buffet breakfast was great and offered a variety of items at various prices. The buffet dinners at this hotel are top class.Lunch is only obtainable from the bar and can be delivered poolside.
A cultural dinner and show is also available at this hotel but we did not take advanyage of it as we had visited the thermal village.
The hotel has a courtesy bus which will drop you of at Rotorua Information Centre and pick you up at a time you advise. This is an excellent service that we used.
We are always welcome at this hotel and will return on our next visit.

Room Tip: You may wish to request a room overlooking thermal activity
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Lyngrin
Dear Lyngrin,

I’m pleased you enjoyed the Buffet Breakfasts and Buffet Dinners in Chapman’s Restaurant, and found your room to be well-appointed. It is rewarding to know you slept well here, and a good nights rest is so important when you are travelling and away from home.

We value our staff as one of our greatest assets, and it is really good to read that they gave all of you a friendly reception, and remembered you from your previous stay.

Thank you again for your valuable feedback. We look forward to welcoming you, and your grandchildren, back to Holiday Inn Rotorua next time you come to stay.

Dubai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

Although the hotel is away from the main hustle, but situated just at the perfect location from all the centre of attractions. The hotel as well provides free shuttle service to and fro to the city centre which just 5 minutes away. Very helpful and friendly staff, always willing to help. Comfortable sleep very clean room, although it's small, but worth the value.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
GManagerRotorua, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rotorua, responded to this review, 24 May 2012
Dear Saikiran9,

It is good to know you enjoyed our ‘perfect location’ and were pleased with the cleanliness and comfort of your room. It is rewarding to know you have rested and slept well here, and consider our Hotel to provide good value for money.

Thank you for making mention of our staff. We value our team as one of our greatest assets, and it is pleasing to read that you found them to be helpful and friendly, and always willing to help.

Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

Big hotel that does pretty much every thing by the numbers. The lobby, the restaurant, the pool, your room and reception are everywhere you expect them to be. There is a level of professionalism amongst the staff and service that is commensurate with what one expects from a 4.5 star hotel and it all is delivered well.
Our room was impeccably clean and comfortable but you won't get a lot of character here, just a big hotel doing things pretty damn well.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Dear Biggles63,

I am pleased you enjoyed the layout of our Hotel, and the comfort and cleanliness of your room. Also, that you found our staff professionalism, and service levels to be commensurate with our 4.5 star rating.

It is rewarding to know that you believe we do things ‘pretty damn well’ here. We thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Rotorua next time you come to town.

Rockhampton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

We stayed at the Holiday Inn in Rotorua for two nights in April. It was the end of our holiday in beautiful New Zealand. Unfortunately for me, I had the really bad experience of losing a very precious possession during my stay. The staff were wonderful in trying to locate the item, and also providing comfort for me during this distressful time. I can't thank them enough or praise them enough. They went out of their way to help. John was the Duty Manager on the morning of our departure and he was ably assisted by a beautiful lady whose name I failed to know because I was so distressed. They went above and beyond the call of duty. The hotel itself is clean, comfortable, and the food is great. the staff in the restaurant were equally friendly, obliging and cheerful. 10/10 for everything. Keep up the good work, Holiday Inn Rotorua.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
GManagerRotorua, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rotorua, responded to this review, 16 May 2012
Dear Rosemary A,

I can understand your distress in losing something that is precious to you. The more so in that you were away from your home, in unfamiliar surroundings and without having the luxury of time in being able to spend to locate the item. I was pleased to hear that our staff were of some comfort to you, and were able to offer you assistance at that time.

Thank you again for sharing your experience. It is rewarding to know that you enjoyed your stay here and rated us 10/10 for everything. We look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Rotorua next time you travel our way.

Auckland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

This hotel is in a perfect location (next to Whakarewarewa Thermal Reserve). It's away from the noisy restaurants, bars and clubs, yet is only 5 mins drive away from the "action". They also provide a free shuttle to the city centre on demand.

Rooms are on the small side, but clean, comfortable and modern. The bed and choice of pillows were extra comfortable. Although the bath tub was also small, at least there was one. Many of the newer hotels only provide showers these days.

Parking was very easy and there was always a spot right outside the main enterance. Apart from that, there's also plenty of street parking if it gets too busy.
They have a large heated pool (warm but not too hot) and two spa pools (weren't operating on the day). Their fitness centre didn't look bad, however did not have time to use it.

Would recommend the buffet dinner at this hotel. At $43 it's on the high side, but worth every penny.

Finally, the service was excellent. From check in staff to waiters, they all were incredibaly customer focussed and friendly.

Would recommend this property to anyone, from business people to large groups. It should please most travellers.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Dear Stephen H,

We think we are in a perfect location too, next to the geothermal valley yet only 5 minutes drive from the city centre.

It is most rewarding to know that you received excellent service from our friendly staff, and that you consider our buffet to be good value for money.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the cleanliness of your room, and found the bed and pillows to be extra comfortable. It is so important be able to rest well when you are travelling and away from home.

Thank you again for your valuable feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Rotorua next time you come to town.