“Value for Money, Great Service” 4 of 5 bubbles

Holiday Inn Rotorua
Ranked #20 of 93 Hotels in Rotorua
GreenLeadersBronze level
Auckland, New Zealand
“Value for Money, Great Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2013

We stayed here for a night when visiting Rotorua & Taupo. The hotel has a average location, very good rooms and fantastic beds for a very good sleep. Check-in was efficient and with great smile from Samuel. Room service was prompt too. The breakfast was not that great experience as our order took around 15 mins to come which was 2 Omellete's on toast, but the toast were missing. Billing took around 15 mins as appropriate discounts were not applied. The service was great.

Room Tip: choose a room facing towards the village, quiet and have a good view.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GManagerRotorua, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rotorua, responded to this review, 7 January 2013
Dear SanjuRana

Thank you for choosing to stay at Holiday Inn Rotorua recently and for taking the time to complete feedback on TripAdvisor.

On your comment regarding our location being average; we actually see our location as being a benefit, we are away from the hustle and bustle of the central city area, but only 5 minutes by car or our complimentary hotel shuttle. I was really pleased to read that you found the rooms to be very good with fantastic beds.

I was sorry to read that you found the breakfast to be not a great experience, 15 minutes for 2 omelettes would sit within our service expectations, given we are also preparing breakfast at the same time for all other guests, however the 15 minute wait for your bill is not good and I apologise that this impacted on your experience at Holiday Inn Rotorua. I also note, on a positive, that the service our team offered was great and appreciate this feedback as well.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kindest Regards
Marcus Keenan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2012

I stayed here on a business trip for 2 nights and had an exceptionally good experience. My room was quaint, it had its own balcony overlooking Whakarewarewa which was a very nice feature. The room was modern, very clean and fresh, and the bed was extremely comfortable - I liked the pillow selection (hard, medium and soft). They also have an outdoor heated pool as well as a thermal spa - both very cool.

We dined at Cchapman's restaurant and the food was amazing - to die for! The buffet spread had pretty much every thing you could imagine from roasts, to vegetarian to seafood. The breakfast buffet is also great - they have a juicer with a range of fruits as well as a variety of different drinks (chocolate milk even).

Unfortunately I can't comment on the costs but I would still say it's great value. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here, the staff were very helpful and welcoming (except for one grumpy lady ushering people into the dining area).

Thank you!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GManagerRotorua, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rotorua, responded to this review, 23 December 2012
Dear Arihia M,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Holiday Inn Rotorua and for taking the time to place feedback on Trip Advisor. It is good to know you appreciated the view from your room and enjoyed our pool and spa facilities. I am pleased you had an exceptionally good experience with us, and enjoyed the comfy bed and amazing food. Thank you for mentioning our helpful and welcoming staff. We are pleased you thoroughly enjoyed your stay here, and look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Rotorua the next time you come to town.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2012 via mobile

The Holiday Inn Rotorua is quite an interesting experience. The hotel is new and it shows because it seems as if all the very nice people who worked there were still learning to work together. It is not that they don't know what they're doing is just that everything that they need to do takes forever. For example, it took us so long to get a bellhop to help us with our luggage that they offered us free drinks. That was a very nice gesture on behalf of the front desk. When I attempted to use the tickets for free drink the wait seemed even longer. All I wanted to do was order a beer, however the two people behind the bar could not figure out how to ring up Taylor Fladgate Port the person ahead of me ordered. I do not know why it took two people ten minutes to ring up a drink.

That all said the people were very nice. However I have to relate this other incident. My friend went down to have breakfast at 5:45 AM. Apparently the breakfast area was closed however no one would know that it was actually closed. When the staff saw my friend in the breakfast area drinking a coffee they made her go to the front desk where they informed the front desk that my friend was in the restaurant before opening. That in and of itself is not the most bizarre thing that happened. The manager interrogated my friend as to why she was in the restaurant before opening. The manager asked my friend if she saw the sign stating the restaurant was closed. Now mind you the restaurant looked open and all of the buffet items we're set.

My friend replied that there was no sign. At this the manager asked the restaurant staff if there was a sign. The response, and this is unbelievable, was "yes there is a sign, but it is in Chinese". It was as if my friend had broken some major rule and was about to get caned when it turned out that by virtue of the fact the sign was in Chinese and not English she was let off the hook.

So, after all this why three stars and not fewer? Because while slow, the staff was amazingly friendly and the rooms clean and bright. Plus, they are very accommodating to cyclists.

Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank KathylynneS
Dear KathylynneS,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Holiday Inn Rotorua and for taking the time to place feedback on Trip Advisor. I am pleased that you found our staff to be amazingly friendly, though disappointed at the slow and unusual service you received. It is good to know that efforts are made to maintain order and process transactions accurately. However, in the instances you described, clearly the situation could have been handled differently, without the negative impact and unnecessary angst you experienced. I apologise that we didn’t get this right for you and thank you for your feedback; all correspondence assists us in working towards improving our products and services. I look forward to reviewing your comments with our Team, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Rotorua the next time you travel our way.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2012 via mobile

We got upgraded on arrival to an exec room which was nice and the room was very pleasant and comfortable , again with 2 double beds...
The Internet was the standard NZ arrangement with paid for service but at least there was a 30 minute or 30 MB free offer.
This just about gave me time to down load a few emails and check the footie scores back home. It had a swim pool which was tiny and an ok gym too

Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Sbz100,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Holiday Inn Rotorua. We appreciate you taking the time to place feedback on Trip Advisor, and look forward to welcoming you back the next time you travel our way.

Indooroopilly, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2012

We spent three nights, upon arrival we were greeted by Sam, charming and personable, gave us a room with a pleasant view. To add to this pleasant experience, Alex, the courtesy bus driver was an absolute delight, amiable and affable, she couldn't do enough for us, we really began to get into the holiday mood, thanks to these two staff members.

We did experience a slight mishap, the beds were far too soft and my partner's single bed had seen better days, during the first night he slid off and hit his head on the night table. The manager responded, 'quick smart' when we complained the next day. We were immediately offered a different room, but re packing was a hassle, so we just shared the larger bed and were offered complimentary buffet breakfasts for the next two days.

Outdoor parking is secure, didn't need the car, the courtesy bus runs every hour and lets you off in the town centre where everything is available. Buy your booze at the 'Coundown' (Woolies) supermarket, damn good bargains. Thursday markets are good value, the food stalls offer a good variety, you can take it back to your room and save some bucks, I went downstairs and asked for plates and cutlery, not a problem.

Room Tip: Request a firm bed if you don't want to wake up with back ache.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank philwarner2016
GManagerRotorua, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rotorua, responded to this review, 12 December 2012
Dear QuechanAustralia,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Holiday Inn Rotorua and for taking the time to place feedback on Trip Advisor. It is great to read that you were well looked after by our friendly staff, and that they helped to put you into the holiday mood. I am disappointed that our beds were too soft for you; that must have been most frustrating for you. The bed is relatively new, having been installed shortly before our rebranding as a Holiday Inn in March 2011. Our Facilities Manager inspected the bed to see whether any fault was apparent, and was unable to find one. Possibly the mattress may not have been flush with the base of the bed (?). I am at a loss to provide any other explanation, and I am pleased you still enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you again for sharing your experience. We look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Rotorua the next time you travel our way.

Arnhem
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2012

Holiday Inn Rotorua is great. We had a room in the upper levels of the hotel, and we had a view on the geiser, which was quite unique.

The room was quite big, and very clean. The bathroom was nice and have everything we wanted. But the best feature of the room was the bed. It felt enormous, and was very very good. If I wanted a new bed at home I would definitely pick this one!

Oh wait, the bed was not the best feature really... The very best part of the hotel was the pool, which was warmed with the warm water springs. That was such a pleasant surprise!

Room Tip: Ask for a room which has a view on the thermal park, you will see the geiser!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wildelinda
GManagerRotorua, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rotorua, responded to this review, 10 December 2012
Dear wildelinda,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Holiday Inn Rotorua and for taking the time to place feedback on Trip Advisor. I am pleased you enjoyed the fantastic view from your room, and were able to relax in our thermally heated pool. We receive an abundance of positive feedback about our beds and pillows and it’s good to know you enjoyed them too. Thank you again for sharing your experience. We look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Rotorua the next time you travel our way.

Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2012

After a few days traveling i decided to stay at the Holiday Inn for a night which was very pleasant. Whilst i didnt use most of the facilities there, the ones i did use were good.

The superior room was very comfortable and clean. The choice of soft / firm pillows is a great.

The location is good depending on what you want to do (I was there mountain biking and its very close to Redwoods). The Holiday Inn is located at the opposite end of town, if you were to walk into town it would take approx 20-30 mins. However, they do have a free shuttle which operates every hour and drop off and pick up is at the information centre in town. I used this a number of times and found it great, the guys driving the shuttle were also very friendly and helpful.

I used the thermal pools one evening which was very pleasant! Nice and warm.

I did order room service for lunch which came in a timely manner, however when i put the tray outside my room it wasnt removed until the next day.

Rotorua does have a slight odour (which i have noticed some people have commented on in the hotel), my room did not smell, the hotel in parts at times had a slight odour but it was not strong nor was it all the time. If you are going to travel to Rotorua understand and accept there is a smell to it, its not everywhere, but there are places where it is stronger than other places.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GManagerRotorua, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rotorua, responded to this review, 27 November 2012
Dear LCC20,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Holiday Inn Rotorua and for taking the time to place feedback on Trip Advisor. I agree with you that we are in a good location for Mountain Biking in the Redwoods, and I am pleased you were able to take advantage of the local trails while you were here. It was disappointing to see the length of time it took for your room service tray to be removed; that was definitely a shortfall on our expected standards of service and I apologise for the inconvenience caused. Thank you again for providing your valuable feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Rotorua the next time you travel our way.