“yikes”

Holiday Inn Rotorua
Ranked #17 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 8 January 2013

this place was definitely one of the few places with availability and was for a reasonable price, so we booked it. it is a rather run down hotel. at check in, the check in agent was too busy with paperwork to acknowledge our presence. She could not even trouble herself to say "be with you in a second." the rooms seem to have some cosmetic upgrades, but you can tell it is a very run down hotel. the rotten egg smell permeates the inside of the hotel so much that it actually smelled better outside than inside. our tv was stuck on the holiday inn channel and we had to wait 30 mins for one of their porters come up to assist. the parking here is horrendous with not enough spaces for all hotel patrons. the price for internet is ridiculous and the 30 mins of free internet in the lobby was worthless as it did not work except for the hotel web page. to top it all off, the maori show that they advertise on their website and directly outside the hotel as being offered was not offered while we were at the hotel. this hotel is close to some of the attractions, but it is a distance from the main part of rotor. several strikes and the holiday inn rotorua is out.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank carnifex1125
GManagerRotorua, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2013

Dear camifec1125

Thank you for choosing to stay at Holiday Inn Rotorua recently and for taking the time to complete feedback on TripAdvisor.

I was disappointed to read your comments regarding your stay at Holiday Inn Rotorua. I apologise for lack of welcome you received upon arrival at the hotel; this certainly isn’t our usual level of service and has obviously set the tone for your stay. The Hotel is constantly going through periods of refurbishment, with the last carried out in early 2011, as I’m sure you will be able to appreciate with over 200 rooms we can not refurbish the entire hotel in one go, so this is phased across available/quieter periods. I am sorry to read that your TV was stuck on just one channel, I’m unsure how this would happen, but I’m pleased the team were able to fix this issue for you. Our complimentary car parking can be a challenge at this time of year, due the high volume of visitors to Rotorua, however there is also ample free parking on the road directly outside the hotel and you are able to drive to the main entrance to drop off / pick up luggage and family members. Our location on the edge of an active geothermal valley does mean that we are susceptible to a strong sulphur smell at times, it is true this can sometimes be stronger in the hotel, obviously outside the wind an open air allows the sulphur smell to dissipate more easily. We are currently revisiting internet charges; I’m also unaware of any issues with our complimentary wireless access in the lobby, I haven’t received any further comments that we have an issue here. With regards to our Cultural Show, this unfortunately is run on demand, and without knowing the date you stayed with us I’m unable to give a precise response around bookings on the evening you were looking to attend.

I would like to extend my personal apologies for the issues that you encountered during your stay at Holiday Inn Rotorua.

Reviewed 7 January 2013 via mobile

We stayed here because our last experience with ICH hotels has always been a 10 out of 10. Unfortunately we found the pulp fiction version if the chain ;)

Room:
Shower curtain have never been change
Towels were old and run down
The duvet had black stains all over
Furniture was antiquated as was decor

Breakfast/Bar/restaurant:
You get a choice $25 hot $22 cold but seems some folks paid for cold and ate hot for free

Plates are dirty and smell of egg
Cutlery was not washed 2/3 times they brought me a new fork

Apparently the staff educated me on not taking coffee out of the breakfast area - "sir holiday inn need to make money, you have to buy coffee to take out of the cafeteria"... Even to my room!!

The bar tender didn't know how to make a dackery or gin and tonic.

The view:
Ask for a hot spring view room. Worth the upgrade. You will see the native geothermal village.

The area:
Wai-TA-pou
Park is spectacular. Don't rush to go see lady Knox. It's an induced gyzer. Not natural. They throw soap in to make her blow. If you ask for a thermal view room and go to the village behind the hotel you will see natural ones. :)
The the time to go to the park at 9 am and while everyone is cramped into lady Knox you will take pictures with no people in them ;)

Matamata - hobbitown:
Need I say more? It's 45 minutes away. Just do it!!

Hells gate spa:
A must see attraction. Spend the money go for the $105/pp package and get a private mud spa. Spectacular experience.

• Stayed: December 2012
GManagerRotorua, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2013

Dear NimNada

I was very disappointed to read your heading and the subsequent comments regarding your stay at Holiday Inn Rotorua. I would be very happy for you to contact me personally, gm@holidayinnrotorua.co.nz, so that I can get further information about your date of stay and the room you stayed in, this will help me to address your feedback directly with you and also gain more clarity about the issues that you have mentioned.

I would like to extend my personal apologies for the issues that you encountered during your stay.

Reviewed 6 January 2013

A very modern hotel - the rooms were very clean & quite spacious.
The restaruant would one of the better hotel one's that I have dined at & we thoroughly enjoyed our meals - quite tasty & the staff who served us were outstanding.
Our room was unfortunately situated above the swimming pool & we had a bit of trouble trying to get to sleep as the pool seemingly was in use to approx 10pm & the noise from the people using the pool was a nuisance.
All in all we had an enjoyable stay.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank SingleMaltMan1
GManagerRotorua, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2013

Dear SinglemaltMan1

Your comments regarding your stay with us are most appreciated. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and found the room that you were in to be very clean and quite spacious. It was also great to read that you enjoyed Chapman’s Restaurant and that the team who looked after you were “outstanding”.

I was sorry to read that the pool noise caused a nuisance during your stay; our pool is open from 6.30am to 10.30pm daily, it is a balance getting the right opening hours vs. creating a disturbance to our guests, I’m sorry this impacted on your stay.

It is most satisfying receiving positive feedback such as your own. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 6 January 2013

We stayed here for a night when visiting Rotorua & Taupo. The hotel has a average location, very good rooms and fantastic beds for a very good sleep. Check-in was efficient and with great smile from Samuel. Room service was prompt too. The breakfast was not that great experience as our order took around 15 mins to come which was 2 Omellete's on toast, but the toast were missing. Billing took around 15 mins as appropriate discounts were not applied. The service was great.

Room Tip: choose a room facing towards the village, quiet and have a good view.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear SanjuRana

On your comment regarding our location being average; we actually see our location as being a benefit, we are away from the hustle and bustle of the central city area, but only 5 minutes by car or our complimentary hotel shuttle. I was really pleased to read that you found the rooms to be very good with fantastic beds.

I was sorry to read that you found the breakfast to be not a great experience, 15 minutes for 2 omelettes would sit within our service expectations, given we are also preparing breakfast at the same time for all other guests, however the 15 minute wait for your bill is not good and I apologise that this impacted on your experience at Holiday Inn Rotorua. I also note, on a positive, that the service our team offered was great and appreciate this feedback as well.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 19 December 2012

I stayed here on a business trip for 2 nights and had an exceptionally good experience. My room was quaint, it had its own balcony overlooking Whakarewarewa which was a very nice feature. The room was modern, very clean and fresh, and the bed was extremely comfortable - I liked the pillow selection (hard, medium and soft). They also have an outdoor heated pool as well as a thermal spa - both very cool.

We dined at Cchapman's restaurant and the food was amazing - to die for! The buffet spread had pretty much every thing you could imagine from roasts, to vegetarian to seafood. The breakfast buffet is also great - they have a juicer with a range of fruits as well as a variety of different drinks (chocolate milk even).

Unfortunately I can't comment on the costs but I would still say it's great value. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here, the staff were very helpful and welcoming (except for one grumpy lady ushering people into the dining area).

Thank you!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
GManagerRotorua, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2012

Dear Arihia M,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Holiday Inn Rotorua and for taking the time to place feedback on Trip Advisor. It is good to know you appreciated the view from your room and enjoyed our pool and spa facilities. I am pleased you had an exceptionally good experience with us, and enjoyed the comfy bed and amazing food. Thank you for mentioning our helpful and welcoming staff. We are pleased you thoroughly enjoyed your stay here, and look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Rotorua the next time you come to town.

Reviewed 19 December 2012

The Holiday Inn Rotorua is quite an interesting experience. The hotel is new and it shows because it seems as if all the very nice people who worked there were still learning to work together. It is not that they don't know what they're doing is just that everything that they need to do takes forever. For example, it took us so long to get a bellhop to help us with our luggage that they offered us free drinks. That was a very nice gesture on behalf of the front desk. When I attempted to use the tickets for free drink the wait seemed even longer. All I wanted to do was order a beer, however the two people behind the bar could not figure out how to ring up Taylor Fladgate Port the person ahead of me ordered. I do not know why it took two people ten minutes to ring up a drink.

That all said the people were very nice. However I have to relate this other incident. My friend went down to have breakfast at 5:45 AM. Apparently the breakfast area was closed however no one would know that it was actually closed. When the staff saw my friend in the breakfast area drinking a coffee they made her go to the front desk where they informed the front desk that my friend was in the restaurant before opening. That in and of itself is not the most bizarre thing that happened. The manager interrogated my friend as to why she was in the restaurant before opening. The manager asked my friend if she saw the sign stating the restaurant was closed. Now mind you the restaurant looked open and all of the buffet items we're set.

My friend replied that there was no sign. At this the manager asked the restaurant staff if there was a sign. The response, and this is unbelievable, was "yes there is a sign, but it is in Chinese". It was as if my friend had broken some major rule and was about to get caned when it turned out that by virtue of the fact the sign was in Chinese and not English she was let off the hook.

So, after all this why three stars and not fewer? Because while slow, the staff was amazingly friendly and the rooms clean and bright. Plus, they are very accommodating to cyclists.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank KathylynneS

Dear KathylynneS,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Holiday Inn Rotorua and for taking the time to place feedback on Trip Advisor. I am pleased that you found our staff to be amazingly friendly, though disappointed at the slow and unusual service you received. It is good to know that efforts are made to maintain order and process transactions accurately. However, in the instances you described, clearly the situation could have been handled differently, without the negative impact and unnecessary angst you experienced. I apologise that we didn’t get this right for you and thank you for your feedback; all correspondence assists us in working towards improving our products and services. I look forward to reviewing your comments with our Team, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Rotorua the next time you travel our way.

Reviewed 18 December 2012

We got upgraded on arrival to an exec room which was nice and the room was very pleasant and comfortable , again with 2 double beds...
The Internet was the standard NZ arrangement with paid for service but at least there was a 30 minute or 30 MB free offer.
This just about gave me time to down load a few emails and check the footie scores back home. It had a swim pool which was tiny and an ok gym too

Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Sbz100,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Holiday Inn Rotorua. We appreciate you taking the time to place feedback on Trip Advisor, and look forward to welcoming you back the next time you travel our way.