“They maintain the IHG standard but have nothing named customer service”

Holiday Inn Rotorua
Ranked #17 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
GreenLeadersBronze level
Melbourne, Australia
“They maintain the IHG standard but have nothing named customer service”
Reviewed 23 January 2013 via mobile

Stayed 3 nights with family, rooms are good - routine Holiday Inn quality but nothing exceptional. Customer service was poor. no good views of geothermal park, Next visit I am staying in a smaller warmer hotel NZ is famous for.

• Stayed January 2013
GManagerRotorua, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rotorua, responded to this review, 23 January 2013
Dear VM2001

It was pleasing to read that found that we maintained our Brand Standards; However I would like to offer my apologies for the poor customer service you experience, we pride ourselves on providing a good level of customer service and I am disappointed that we didn’t give you that positive experience when you stayed with us. A large number of our rooms have geothermal views, however without knowing the room type that you booked and the room you were actually allocated I can’t give an exact reason why you didn’t get a geothermal view. If you booked this room type it should be what you receive, I’m happy for you to contact me personally to investigate whether you stayed in a room type reserved or whether we didn’t allocate what was booked. gm@holidayinnrotorua.co.nz

Again I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience and I apologise that we didn’t meet your expectations.

Marcus Keenan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 15 January 2013

Ok so the hotel is a little old, but all areas are clean and comfortable. Our room had 2 queen beds, with a choice of pillows, bed linen was clean and fresh. The room was on the first floor overlooking the geyser, the smell from the thermals is there, but not as bad as expected from reading other reviews in fact we hardly noticed it. Plenty of parking at the hotel and also in the surrounding areas. Good selection of food offered for breakfast and evening buffet and our son particularly enjoyed the ice cream and deserts. The hotel is a little out of the centre, but is situated next to the thermal village which is well worth a visit. A good time had by all the family.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
GManagerRotorua, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rotorua, responded to this review, 20 January 2013
Dear JoannaH219

Thank you for choosing to stay at Holiday Inn Rotorua recently and for taking the time to complete feedback on TripAdvisor. As our service is our benchmark, it is only through feedback such as you have provided that we are able to monitor ourselves to see if we are keeping on track.

It was interesting to read that you found the hotel a little odd, I’m unsure in what way? – but I’m pleased that you found the hotel to be clean and comfortable. It was also good to read that you enjoyed Chapman’s Restaurant for both breakfast and dinner, it’s true the desserts are a favourite with all children, particularly the make your own ice cream selection. I was pleased to read that overall your family had a good time at Holiday Inn Rotorua.

It is most satisfying receiving positive feedback such as your own. We look forward to hopefully being able to welcome you back to the Holiday Inn Rotorua in the future.

Vancouver, BC
Reviewed 14 January 2013

Stayed for 2 nights in a standard room. The room had a single bed and a double bed. It seemed like an odd arrangement, but the beds were comfortable and linens soft so no complaints about the beds. The room was compact, but had a large bench for our luggage so we could move about easily. The bathroom is a standard size and the toiletries were surprisingly good, but there was quite a bit of mildew where the tub and tiles meet. I found the room to be rather humid so I'm not surprised there is mildew in the tub.

Wifi is expensive but the hotel offers 30 minutes of free access per day in the lobby. There is not much around the hotel in terms of dining but this can be accessed with a short drive.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear ladylolo

Thank you for choosing to stay at Holiday Inn Rotorua recently and for taking the time to complete feedback on TripAdvisor. Feedback such as you have provided allows us to monitor our performance from our customer’s perspective, highlighting if we are keeping our focus in the right areas.

I was really pleased that although you found the bed arrangement odd, overall you enjoyed your room and in-particular our comfortable beds. It is hard to know which room your were in to investigate the comment around mildew, having said that our facilities team are looking into all bathrooms, in the room type you mention, to rectify what you found.

Again thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

texas
Reviewed 8 January 2013

this place was definitely one of the few places with availability and was for a reasonable price, so we booked it. it is a rather run down hotel. at check in, the check in agent was too busy with paperwork to acknowledge our presence. She could not even trouble herself to say "be with you in a second." the rooms seem to have some cosmetic upgrades, but you can tell it is a very run down hotel. the rotten egg smell permeates the inside of the hotel so much that it actually smelled better outside than inside. our tv was stuck on the holiday inn channel and we had to wait 30 mins for one of their porters come up to assist. the parking here is horrendous with not enough spaces for all hotel patrons. the price for internet is ridiculous and the 30 mins of free internet in the lobby was worthless as it did not work except for the hotel web page. to top it all off, the maori show that they advertise on their website and directly outside the hotel as being offered was not offered while we were at the hotel. this hotel is close to some of the attractions, but it is a distance from the main part of rotor. several strikes and the holiday inn rotorua is out.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank carnifex1125
GManagerRotorua, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rotorua, responded to this review, 9 January 2013
Dear camifec1125

I was disappointed to read your comments regarding your stay at Holiday Inn Rotorua. I apologise for lack of welcome you received upon arrival at the hotel; this certainly isn’t our usual level of service and has obviously set the tone for your stay. The Hotel is constantly going through periods of refurbishment, with the last carried out in early 2011, as I’m sure you will be able to appreciate with over 200 rooms we can not refurbish the entire hotel in one go, so this is phased across available/quieter periods. I am sorry to read that your TV was stuck on just one channel, I’m unsure how this would happen, but I’m pleased the team were able to fix this issue for you. Our complimentary car parking can be a challenge at this time of year, due the high volume of visitors to Rotorua, however there is also ample free parking on the road directly outside the hotel and you are able to drive to the main entrance to drop off / pick up luggage and family members. Our location on the edge of an active geothermal valley does mean that we are susceptible to a strong sulphur smell at times, it is true this can sometimes be stronger in the hotel, obviously outside the wind an open air allows the sulphur smell to dissipate more easily. We are currently revisiting internet charges; I’m also unaware of any issues with our complimentary wireless access in the lobby, I haven’t received any further comments that we have an issue here. With regards to our Cultural Show, this unfortunately is run on demand, and without knowing the date you stayed with us I’m unable to give a precise response around bookings on the evening you were looking to attend.

I would like to extend my personal apologies for the issues that you encountered during your stay at Holiday Inn Rotorua.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 7 January 2013 via mobile

We stayed here because our last experience with ICH hotels has always been a 10 out of 10. Unfortunately we found the pulp fiction version if the chain ;)

Room:
Shower curtain have never been change
Towels were old and run down
The duvet had black stains all over
Furniture was antiquated as was decor

Breakfast/Bar/restaurant:
You get a choice $25 hot $22 cold but seems some folks paid for cold and ate hot for free

Plates are dirty and smell of egg
Cutlery was not washed 2/3 times they brought me a new fork

Apparently the staff educated me on not taking coffee out of the breakfast area - "sir holiday inn need to make money, you have to buy coffee to take out of the cafeteria"... Even to my room!!

The bar tender didn't know how to make a dackery or gin and tonic.

The view:
Ask for a hot spring view room. Worth the upgrade. You will see the native geothermal village.

The area:
Wai-TA-pou
Park is spectacular. Don't rush to go see lady Knox. It's an induced gyzer. Not natural. They throw soap in to make her blow. If you ask for a thermal view room and go to the village behind the hotel you will see natural ones. :)
The the time to go to the park at 9 am and while everyone is cramped into lady Knox you will take pictures with no people in them ;)

Matamata - hobbitown:
Need I say more? It's 45 minutes away. Just do it!!

Hells gate spa:
A must see attraction. Spend the money go for the $105/pp package and get a private mud spa. Spectacular experience.

• Stayed December 2012
GManagerRotorua, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rotorua, responded to this review, 8 January 2013
Dear NimNada

I was very disappointed to read your heading and the subsequent comments regarding your stay at Holiday Inn Rotorua. I would be very happy for you to contact me personally, gm@holidayinnrotorua.co.nz, so that I can get further information about your date of stay and the room you stayed in, this will help me to address your feedback directly with you and also gain more clarity about the issues that you have mentioned.

I would like to extend my personal apologies for the issues that you encountered during your stay.

Invercargill, New Zealand
Reviewed 6 January 2013

A very modern hotel - the rooms were very clean & quite spacious.
The restaruant would one of the better hotel one's that I have dined at & we thoroughly enjoyed our meals - quite tasty & the staff who served us were outstanding.
Our room was unfortunately situated above the swimming pool & we had a bit of trouble trying to get to sleep as the pool seemingly was in use to approx 10pm & the noise from the people using the pool was a nuisance.
All in all we had an enjoyable stay.

Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank SingleMaltMan1
GManagerRotorua, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rotorua, responded to this review, 7 January 2013
Dear SinglemaltMan1

Your comments regarding your stay with us are most appreciated. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and found the room that you were in to be very clean and quite spacious. It was also great to read that you enjoyed Chapman’s Restaurant and that the team who looked after you were “outstanding”.

I was sorry to read that the pool noise caused a nuisance during your stay; our pool is open from 6.30am to 10.30pm daily, it is a balance getting the right opening hours vs. creating a disturbance to our guests, I’m sorry this impacted on your stay.

It is most satisfying receiving positive feedback such as your own. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 6 January 2013

We stayed here for a night when visiting Rotorua & Taupo. The hotel has a average location, very good rooms and fantastic beds for a very good sleep. Check-in was efficient and with great smile from Samuel. Room service was prompt too. The breakfast was not that great experience as our order took around 15 mins to come which was 2 Omellete's on toast, but the toast were missing. Billing took around 15 mins as appropriate discounts were not applied. The service was great.

Room Tip: choose a room facing towards the village, quiet and have a good view.