“Superb view of thermal village”

Holiday Inn Rotorua
Ranked #16 of 91 Hotels in Rotorua
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 25 July 2013

We scored an upgrade to a room overlooking the Whakarewarewa thermal area. It was tremendous to see the changing steam patterns as the weather changed.
The buffet breakfast included was up to standard, with an omolet or other special egg as an alternative to the scrambled eggs, which were actually ok, not the dried out sort that sometimes arrives.
The pool was well untilised, although we didn't make it - a bit too cold.
A very pleasant stay!

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the end of a corridor - kids running up and down the corridors make quite a racket...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
GManagerRotorua, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2013

Dear Kiwibobcambidia,

Thank you for your review on tripadvisor, great to hear that you enjoyed your say with us, the pool at the moment is set to be about 36 - 38 Degrees Centigrade, so even though it is cold out side it is very warm once you are in the pool which is why you would have seen many children and their parents sharing in the fun.

Have a great day, thank you, Kent.

Reviewed 23 July 2013

Stayed here just one night in second half of July 2013 (thanks god that is wasnt more). Hotel is located very close (100m) from geo-thermal area, so some smell of sulphur and amoniak can be expected. But even in my wildest dreams I couldnt imagined that it would be so bad. The problem is that hotel rooms are not air-tight, so smell from sourounding pools is breaking and entering the rooms, even worse of wind is blowing in the direction of the hotel (which was the case at my stay). The second problem is air condition, that is not blocking the smell, but importing it to the room. It was really difficult to spend the night in the room, I even called reception around midnight if something can be done, but the answer was that they are arare of the problem and nothing can be done. I genuenly believe (given that I spend some 75+ days in hotels annualy) that strong odour of sulpher and amoniak is bad for your helath, it made me very sick in my stomack, and that hotel shouldnt be alowed to operate at all. All other problems I had (I was given the room next to the elevators, that were extremely loud) are very minor compared to this one.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, ask for the room on the opposing side of the thermal area.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank PremiumFlyer74
GManagerRotorua, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2013

Dear Mirror 74

Thank you for choosing to stay at Holiday Inn Rotorua, and for expressing your views on the hotel and surroundings,

Holiday Inn Rotorua is located next to the most famous of the 65 geysers found in the Whakarewarewa Thermal Valley, the Pohutu Geyser. This is one of the hotels key attributes and is a great unique point of difference for the hotel, which distinguishes us from our competitors. We have wonderful views of this natural wonder from many of our guest rooms. The Pohutu Geyser is the largest active geyser in the Southern Hemisphere, and Rotorua is one of the few places in the world where geothermal phenomena are as extensive and accessible.

The occasional negative to this great natural resource is that there can be a sulphuric odour produced as a result of the geothermal activity. This is completely natural with no adverse health effects, and therefore, is harmless to our guests.

I appreciate that we have not followed our promise to ensure that every guest is completely satisfied. We should have moved your room onto the other side of the building away from the side facing the geysers, which would have mitigated the effect of the sulphur during your nights sleep, and for this lapse in our usual high standards of service I apologise deeply on behalf of my team. The individual you spoke with has been made aware of his shortfall and has been re-trained in our service behaviours.

I have noted that in your review you have shown the room, cleanliness and service as being of a high level, I do appreciate these positives.

Thank you very much for your feedback,

Kent

Reviewed 19 July 2013 via mobile

Hotel staffs were all very friendly, and extremely helpful when we found our car tyre was punctured.
Hotel itself was clean and the buffet breakfast was very good. We will definitely recommend to others.
Thank you Holiday Inn Rotorua for making our stay enjoyable.

• Stayed: July 2013
GManagerRotorua, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2013

Dear Pjandc, thank you for your great feedback, it is greatly appreciated and I will ensure the team members who helped with your tyre are recognised, thank you Kent

Reviewed 10 July 2013

I stayed here while attending a conference at another venue. The hotel is very nice, clean and fresh however it is situated next to a thermal area and consequently the smell is quite overpowering.
It seems to be everywhere, room, lobby and when the elevator door opens the smell comes wafting out.
I know Rotorua is renown for the thermal areas and associated odor but this was extreme, even outside of the hotel it was not as bad and a couple of blocks down the road there was no noticeable smell.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Felix2000nz
GManagerRotorua, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2013

Dear Felix2000nz,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Holiday Inn Rotorua and for taking the time to place your comments on Trip Advisor. I am pleased you enjoyed our clean and fresh Hotel. Being located next to the Geothermal reserve, the smell of sulphur can at times be noticeable around the hotel dependent on the atmospheric conditions at the time – though generally not to the degree that you experienced. I am sorry that it impacted negatively on your time here, and trust it contributed a unique aspect to a memorable stay in Rotorua!

Reviewed 30 June 2013

Our family just spent 2 nights at the holiday inn Rototrua it was the best place ever hospitality excellent the rooms and the beds unspeakable if i had a trailer i would have taken the bed home..... The staff in the restaurant were absolutely helpful and amazing Lavina Erina was a pleasure to have met you your customer service is outstanding I will definately highly recommend the Holiday Inn and we will most definately be back thank you

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 68RamyM68
GManagerRotorua, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2013

Dear 68RamyM68,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Holiday Inn Rotorua and for taking the time to place your comments on Trip Advisor. I am pleased you enjoyed the comfortable bed and warm hospitality of our staff. Thank you for making special mention of Lavinia and Erina, we will ensure they are recognised appropriately for their outstanding customer service, and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you come to stay.

Reviewed 27 June 2013

I stayed two nights at the Holiday Inn Rotorua when exhibiting at a conference and I experienced the best service I have ever encountered at a hotel. The staff are friendly, helpful, courteous and appear to genuinely enjoy working at the Holiday Inn. I was amazed on multiple occasions at the extra lengths the staff went to in order to assist me, most often without being asked. I had many conversations with others at the conference who had the same experience. If there's one thing the Holiday Inn knows how to do well, it's service with a smile.

My room was modern, clean and very comfortable, and I enjoyed an excellent nights sleep. The only criticism I have with the room is that when it was serviced the staff curiously removed the bar soap from beside the basin and replaced it with a new wrapped soap - which was uneccessary and wasteful.

The food was outstanding, and once again, the waiting staff offered exceptional service. I am allergic to kiwifruit so I enquired with a staff member as to whether they had a pavlova (my favourite dessert and part of the buffet at our private function) in the kitchen that did not have kiwifruit on it. A chef came out to talk to me, said they didn't have any more pavlova, but would see what she could do. A few minutes later I was presented with a plate of six large meringues which she had managed to find. This really blew me away. Then I discovered in talking to her that rather than create a couple of gluten free options when asked to accommodate guests at the function who required gluten free meals, she adjusted the recipes of the ENTIRE BANQUET to make ALL the dishes gluten free. The initiative and effort that was undertaken is simply remarkable and in my mind the benchmark standard of service.

The standout facilities are the devine heated outdoor pool and the outstanding function room!!

When I return to Rotorua I will be staying at the Holiday Inn and I wholeheartly recommend it to all.

Room Tip: My deluxe room on level 5 was excellent!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank kiwisara

Dear kiwisara,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Holiday Inn Rotorua and for taking the time to place your comments on Trip Advisor. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience, and for mentioning our friendly and helpful staff – especially our very thoughtful chef. I will enjoy sharing your feedback with the Team and look forward to welcoming you back the next time you travel our way.

Reviewed 23 June 2013

Stayed her in May 2013 for a couple of nights. Our room was great, very modern and well appointed. The hotel is what you would expect of a large 4 star hotel with all amenities and a good restaurant. The staff were all great, very friendly and helpful.. The only drawback is the charges for Wifi, mind you all the hotels do the same.
We left clothes in our room and the staff were good enough to forward them to our hotel in Sydney.

Room Tip: There is limited free wifi in the lobby.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank BillH41
GManagerRotorua, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2013

Dear BillH41,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Holiday Inn Rotorua and for taking the time to place your comments on Trip Advisor. I am pleased you enjoyed your modern and well-appointed room, and appreciate your mentioning our very friendly and helpful staff. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you travel our way.