Holiday Inn Rotorua
Priceline
US$110
US$84
Agoda.com
Wai Ora Lakeside Spa Resort(Rotorua)(Great Value!)
US$221
US$186
Agoda.com
Prince's Gate Hotel(Rotorua)(Great Value!)
US$166
US$140
Best Western Braeside Rotorua(Rotorua)(Great Value!)
US$118
US$106
US$140
US$136
Orbitz.com
Cedarwood Lakeside(Rotorua)(Great Value!)
US$118
US$114
All reviewsthermal villageshuttle buswhakarewarewa maorite puiaroom servicegeothermal areabuffet dinnerthermal reservefree wifisulphur smellstandard roomheated poolcomfortable hotelhot springsstayed here for nightstown centrethermal pools
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Our room was clean and spacious , and we were pleased to find a fridge and tea and coffee making facilities. The hotel is quite a distance from the town centre , and there is a shuttle bus if you do not want to drive. The pool was an added bonus, and it was free to park at the hotel. There were a few noisy groups staying, but our sleep was not disturbed.

Room Tip: Try not to be near the pool area.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Kent B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Dear Anne W,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Holiday Inn Rotorua recently and for taking the time to comment on Trip Advisor.

I am pleased you enjoyed the pool and spa area, and your clean and spacious room. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back the next time you travel our way.

Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

I really enjoyed my stay and especially the staff service. Tipene on the front desk was especially helpful. The breakfast buffet was the best I've experienced in New Zealand. I will stay again-I think this hotel is best in rotorua.

• Stayed: February 2014
Kent B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Dear goldylocksNZ,

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and made the most of our Breakfast buffet.
Thank you for making special mention of Tipene, I will ensure he is appropriately recognised.

Thanks again for sharing your experience, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

We stayed in hotel for our honeymoon. I found stay at this hotel very pleasant, only thing was annoying front office staff ettiquetes. At the check in at arnd 3:30pm female staff told room will be ready in 5mins, after 25 I asked her again and she said letme check and then it she said room ready and here is ur keys 702. Eventhough there were about four staff at the reception but none of them really bothered to help to carry our luggage. My wife is pregnant and I ended up carrying all luggage by myself. It is my bad luck that I met the same receptionist when we checked out. She was on phone and did not even bothered to acknowledge me, later other female guest was also waiting for abt 5mins. She looked at her and was about to serve her instead the guest had to show her that I was first. When she chceked in the system and she just said that is FINE. No thank you no hospitality no nothing. Other than that I found bar tender (russian/european) vry knowledgable and well behaved.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Swappybhate
Kent B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2014

Dear Swappybhate,

I am sorry that the service from reception fell short of your expectations, that must have been frustrating for you and I apologise for the inconvenience caused. Thank you for sharing your experience, it is good to have your feedback to share with the team.

It is pleasing to read that you otherwise enjoyed a pleasant stay, and I hope you enjoyed your honeymoon here.

Safe journeys and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you travel our way.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

Very welcoming and personable staff who are willing and able to help with any queries and issues. There is a decent gym albeit some of the machines were requiring maintenance, these were scheduled to be done.
Along with a nice sized swimming pool, there are two spa's, one of which again was requiring maintenance. The area around the pool was extensive, clean, quiet and secluded.
Breakfast wasn't included in the booking so one can't offer any advice as to the quality of the food.
Overall, a very nice experience that one would expect from an international hotel.

Room Tip: It's strongly suggested that you upgrade to one of the better rooms to get the space and quality one would expect from an international hotel. Avoid the ground floor for obvious noise reasons.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Kent B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Dear 0_Khalid_0,

I am pleased you enjoyed our outdoor pool and spa area, and thank you for mentioning our welcoming and personable staff. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 28 January 2014

Arrived around 9 in the evening after a delay in our flight and more than 2-hour drive from Auckland to find my request for an upper level room to not be available due to the hotel being fully booked for the long weekend. Fair enough. I have, however, also previously requested and brought up again the matter of being away from the noise. I was only worried about the noise which would potentially come out of the pool, I should have done more research and requested to be away from floors where tour groups appear to be normally situated. Front desk was blunt and had a no-nonsense attitude. All my requests were denied though she was efficient in booking us a table at the restaurant. We were situated at the ground level to the left side of the building facing the parking lot so it was awkward having the curtains drawn as people from the outside could look inside the room. The smell of stinky rotten egg, as is the case of sulphur, was strong along the corridor but greatly diminished once inside the room.

We were initially amused at the sign on the entrance of the hallway advising guests to be mindful of the noise. These were written in, I believe, 4 languages (English, Korean, Japanese and Chinese). Our amusement vanished at 12 midnight when a babble of loud voices were heard outside the room continuing on for the next 30 minutes. In the early morning, another of the tour members started yelling out the name of possibly another tour member ignoring the fact that people were still sleeping around that time. From the time we were there until we checked out, there were a constant stream of tour groups checking in and checking out at the lobby.

I would suggest bringing in a pair of earplugs if you do happen to check in at the hotel.

The hotel is a bit away from the city centre. Restaurants and cafes are near the Town Hall or along Fenton Street.

Aside from the noise and smell of sulphur, the hotel does have its pluses. The restaurant offers a buffet service which appears to be very popular among the locals. Do not, however, order a la carte at the height of the buffet service as you would have to wait 30 minutes before your meal arrives. We have had the opportunity to try both services and would prefer the a la carte. While the buffet had many selections, the food got cold very quickly. The only thing warm food that I managed to taste was the Seafood Chowder. On the other hand, the dessert selection was amazing.

There is a small outdoor swimming pool which appears to be very popular among the kids but not big enough for adults to swim in. Wifi is free at the lobby for 30 minutes or 30 MB whichever gets consumed first. At the back of the hotel is the Whakarewarewa Living Village where you could see sulphur rising out of the earth (we didn't go in as we ran out of time). A laundry room is available for use by guests and is coin-operated. Iron and ironing board are also available in the room as are complimentary teas (2 choices).

Would I be going back again to Holiday Inn? Probably not. I would probably choose a small boutique hotel to avoid tour groups.

Room Tip: Try the higher floors
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shemivad
Kent B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Dear Shemivad,

I am sorry that the noise of other guests impacted negatively on your stay. That must have been most frustrating for you and I apologise for the disappointment caused.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, we hope you enjoyed your time in Rotorua and wish you safe travels.