All reviews bar next door lava bar heated pool geothermal park reception staff large kitchen bed room would stay here again recommend staying here good nights sleep a great stay stayed here for one night free wifi checking out hostel dorm campervan
Reviewed 21 April 2012

I stayed here for 2 weeks at a critical time in my life.
I gained much peace and healing here.
Many other attractions are within walking distance.
The thermal pools are terriffic
The staff were friendly, polite, helpful, and full of great ideas.
I will always remember with joy, the warmth and hospitality I felt when I stayed here

Room Tip: ask the staff for what you want, they will find a room to suit your requirements I actually travelled in 2002, but the selector wouldnt let me put that in.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 February 2012

good staff, com kitchen is a bit grubby, clean dorms, pool is a bit disappointing

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 January 2012

Stayed at the Base in Taupo and multiple occasions, pretty good(Depending which room you stay in). Base Queenstown? Comfy beds. Base Rotorua? Not so great...

Not only was the bar extremely noisy with horrible music into the early hours of the morning(as it is with all Base hostels) the place was infested with cockroaches. I could mention things like lack of this or that in the kitchen, or $28 for an 8 bed dorm, but the real turn off here is the cockroaches. They were everywhere. For sure the dirtiest hostel we've stayed at on our worldly travels thus far. The staff was pretty good though.

Not recommended.

Room Tip: Just don't stay here.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 December 2011

I was charged $28 for a 12 bed dorm with 1 toilet and 1 shower and I couldn't find any others in the corridor. This caused quite a few problems in the morning when everyone got up and needed to get ready for buses at similar times.
Sheets clean – bedspread pretty manky looking.
Tiny tv lounge, space for a cozy half dozen.
Hostel generally looked rundown and in need of some attention – including the stairs with frayed carpets, which were pretty hazardous for those of us lugging big backpacks around.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 December 2011

I stayed here only for 1 night with a group of girlfriends in a dorm room accomodation. The room was comfortable and clean with modern bathroom equipment that wasn't cracked or mouldy - always a bonus!!

The bar next door had a great atmosphere and entertainment and the free BBQ food was good.

The hostel pool was a thermal pool and open late - great after a days rafting and skydiving as we were all a bit freezing :-)

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends