“Good for Campervans”

Base Rotorua
Green Valley, Illinois
“Good for Campervans”
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Liked the place! Very reasonable and great location relative to the park and downtown. FRIENDLY HELPFUL STAFF. Great to lie there in the hot tub and soak in the evenings.
Yes it's a hostel and yes there are lots of kids sometimes and yes some of the people in another van were too loud to late. But get over it! LOL Thought breakfast was a bit expensive so went to the Fat Dog, mistake, should have eaten at Base!

Room Tip: Sorry. I was in a campervan.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Robin Hood's Bay
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed in their car park in our camper van for $9pp. We got to use the kitchen, pool, laundry, tv room, wifi etc. It was well worth it as we'd normally stay at DOC sites for $6pp and for that you usually just get a long drop toilet (we couldn't freedom camp as we weren't self contained ie didn't have our own toilet and had received an official warning from the police). So we got to keep our food cold in the fridge and freeze some water bottles for our cool box. Chilling out in the pool was great and being able to do our laundry. Also booking activities such as the luge through Base is good as they seam to offer the best deals.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed here during my basejumping throughout new zealand.Clean, good facilities and close to everything. Would recommend anyone staying in rotorua to stay here. Bar next door has some good deals on food and drinks. Friendly service.

• Stayed November 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2013

So this is meant to be a no alcohol hostel (as all the base's that we stayed in are) but on one of the day's there was a members of the members of staff's friend's birthday and there were a large number of people in the swimming pool area and they were all very drunk... Now I'm well up for a drink - but one rule for guests, and another for staff doesn't seem right...

Apart from that it was aright - clean(ish) room - not bad for the money. Some of the hobs didn't work and for a large hostel there wasn't much space in the kitchen to cook. Paper thin walls between rooms means that its hard to sleep if your neighbours are having a party...

Very helpful and friendly staff though and on the whole not a terrible place.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Palmerston North, Manawatu-Wanganui, New Zealand
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I stayed here a couple of nights ago. My first impression wasn't the greatest as I was asked for I.D. when checking in. I had not bought it with me and wasn't informed at any point during the booking through Naked Sleep that it would be required, however the receptionist told me not to worry about it. The room was down a rabbit warren, which we didn't mind with nice bathrooms next to our rooms, they weren't the cleanest but weren't bad. Our room was really basic with only a bed, towel rail, painting and one power point. Good thing we bought a multi-box. The added toiletries and towels were a bonus, however it seemed that it was needed as the bathrooms had neither soap or towels supplied which got to be very irritating. The bed was okay, not the most comfy but very clean.
The biggest detractors for me were the oppressive heat and noise. We were on the other side of the building to the bar but this meant that we got A LOT of traffic noise throughout the night and the sound of drunks, possibly on the balconies below us. The heat was unbearable, it was a reasonably warm day but not that bad and it was so ridiculously hot on the top floor, it hit you as soon as you walked off the stairs. This would be okay in winter but it would be terrible in summer. They seriously need to invest in some air conditioning.
The hot pool was a nice feature especially after travel, part of me wished that it was cold which would have been far more refreshing.
Next time I am going to book somewhere else so that I get more than 3 hours of sleep.

Room Tip: Get a room far away from the bar and on a lower floor so it isn't so hot. Be aware that by havin...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Desert Hot Springs, California
Reviewed 25 September 2013

The dorm room in this hostel had eight beds overall in the room and had an ensuite toilet and shower. There were also communal showers and toilets I believe but I didn't use them so I had no idea where they were. The biggest problem was that we only found two outlets so there were only four plugs for the eight of us in the room. One of the heaters in the room also did not work but it wasn't a big deal as it wasn't that cold when I was there.

There is just enough room in the kitchen to prepare and cook your food and a large dining table and a smaller table to enjoy your meal. The hostel is near the main area of town and near food places though so if you don't feel like cooking, it's a short walk to find food.

I spent a lot of time in the kitchen area but only because I was using the internet. I heard that once you were in the room, it was a lot harder to receive a signal so I just used it in the kitchen area. They do use Global Gossip Wi-Fi here.

The hostel is a short walk to the lake and down to the spa. There is a nice running trail that goes along the lake if you can stand the smell. The smell is quite strong near the lake but at the hostel, we never had any problems.

There is also a park right across the street from the hostel and someone told me there were some good trails that way also. The hostel does have a bar next door and they do events or specials every night of the week.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
King's Lynn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2013

So my sister and I stayed here for 6 days. It's right across from a beautiful park. The staff were amazing and very helpful. They were always interested in our daily events and were very informative with different activities available around Rotorua, and were very happy to book places for us. The beds were comfortable and the room was clean. I really liked the heated swimming pool! :) It's in a great location, a bus stop right outside, and a 5 minute walk to the town centre! They have a great variety of leaflets/brochures for activities, and decent priced drinks behind the counter. I'd happily stay here again. - Thank you to the staff who made our experience an enjoyable one!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family