“Loved this place - smell not so great!”

Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland
Ranked #9 of 117 things to do in Rotorua
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: "One of the 20 Most Surreal Places in the World" Trip Advisor THOUSANDS OF YEARS IN THE MAKING, explore spectacular nature at New Zealand's most colourful natural volcanic area. Walk at your own pace - view the unique Champagne Pool, Sinter Terrace formations, Steaming Ground, Bubbling Mud, Expansive Vistas, Huge Volcanic Craters. The Lady Knox Geyser erupts daily at 10.15am. Excellent facilities at modern Visitor Centre.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This is an amazing place which we loved. you get used to the smell as you go around. It was so fantastic to read all about the different areas and especially the big lake - was so incredible - you feel the heat coming off the rocks and ponds - highly recommend

Write a ReviewReviews (7,254)
All reviews
in 67 reviews
"own pace"
in 62 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Amazing scenery and good value for money. We spent about 3 hours there, including watching the geyser and walking around all the pools. I would recommend!

1  Thank Sam W
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

The lady geyser at the end of the road from the thermal place was good learnt some facts about the geyser.
The thermal place was a good walk couldn’t see the colours shown in the photos due to the smoke however there were a few nice areas but be prepared to smell some smells you haven’t smelt before.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

There is a fee to get in this place and our hotel gave us a discount so check with your hotel if you can get a discount.
The geyser is on another side of the park. When we got here, the geyser side was already closed but we heard it wasn't anything spectacular. However, the park itself was great.
FYI: Prior to the wonderland, near the entrance there is a big bubbling mud pool. No entrance fee. Don't miss it!

1  Thank ToniLuvsScuba
See more reviews
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We read a review which said excellent for wheelchairs so decided to give it a go. I suspect the other reviewer may have had someone light to push, whereas my total weight with wheelchair is around 105kg (230lb).

We have travelled widely over the years since I was forced to use a wheelchair for such trips, but due to a combination of things this was one of the toughest for us.

Immediately you leave the building you have a very steep downhill which as any experienced wheelchair pusher will tell you is far harder than others may think, making sure that the wheelchair doesn't get away. Then across a bridge and up an equally steep hill on the other side.

It then levels out and there are obviously some amazing sights, but there are also some further tough little bits. Even adults in a power wheelchair would find some sections tough due to the unevenness of some sections. You'd probably need someone to accompany you to avoid tipping.

I've never used a power wheelchair but I also imagine that getting the front wheels on or off some of the ramps might not be easy. My wife went off by herself to do walk 2 and left me by a shelter.

Of course when we were almost at the end we has to get back up the steep slope back to the pavilion/shop. Fortunately a guy standing talking to someone halfway up realised my wife was really struggling and gave her a hand. She is tough and determined so would have made it but he made life a lot easier. I did have video but don't think I can post it here.

All in all it was a great place to visit, but if you are pushing an adult be wary it may not be all that easy.

1  Thank Gary C