“Clean, quiet, friendly, great”

Funky Green Voyager
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Anja and Gerard really helped me make the most of my not-even-24 hours in Rotarua. Lovely people, excellent place. Even mini-chocolates on the pillow...have never seen that in a hostel! Right next to a supermarket, too, and easy walking distance to town center.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Funky Green Voyager

Reviewed 29 April 2014

- Friendly staff
- Barefoot policy
- Enough space in the kitchen end enough equipment
- A bit out of the centre
- Good beds
- Clean
- Medium size hostel
- Relaxt atmosphere
- Stayed 2 nights
- I will be here again

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 April 2014

there was a lovely feel around the hostel, everyone was very friendly, good facilities with a well stocked kitchen and nice lounge area ,comfy beds but the top bunks are very high! the hostel staff were very helpful and gave good recommendations of local activities.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I had been mainly staying at YHAs throughout my trip, and this was a nice change. It had more character and a nice hippy vibe. The facilities were good and the staff are friendly. It was easy to organise trips from there as the companies pick you up from the hostel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 February 2014

The Funky Green Voyager was the second hostel I stayed in NZ and still belongs to my personal top ten! Like many other reviewers before, I can simply agree with calling it cosy and friendly. The staff was very polite and always in a good mood, they also helped us with the booking and pickup of the Tamaki Maori Village. My friend and I stayed in a double bedroom, which was small, but tidy, colourful and clean. There was candy waiting for us on the pillows – very nice! We didn't use the kitchen except for making sandwiches but from my memory it was neat and tidy as well! The community room is also small, but you feel like home looking at the rich decorated walls and a chimney inside the wall.

I personally dislike "no shoe" policies in hostels, but that's nothing bad in general and I see the reasons for this. Due to its small size, you and other travellers feel rather like a family - very different to the big hostels on the North Island I've been to later. The only two "bad" things which come up to mind is its location as you need around 15 to 20 minutes to the city centre, as well as I had the feeling the bathrooms/showers were too small. I’m usually a big fan of small hostels but this one couldn’t get bad with getting a bit more space. But these are only minor things, cheerio Funky Green Voyager!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 February 2014

A wonderful friendly welcome and lots of character in this place. It's my second stay here and I'd certainly come back again. Nice and close to the city centre but, most importantly, still quiet, and the team looking after the place really treated us well and helped us pick the right activities to do based on their experience

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 January 2014

We had a fantastic time staying at the Funky green. The owners (a lovely couple, he's a NZ local, she's from Sweden? I can't remember, something like that) were super helpful and loved to chat. He has a great sense of humour that as an Aussie I really appreciated (though he reckons he gets in trouble for it a lot!). We made heaps of friends there, a fantastic bunch of people. We had a very fun night playing cards with about 20 people! The facilities were good, they gave fantastic travel advice, I highly recommend to other Aussies (and everyone else). They were also very helpful when we got a cracked windscreen on our rental car, went out of their way to give us advice and assistance. I'd go again without hesitation.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends