Funky Green Voyager
  • Pool
US$557
US$471
Priceline
Holiday Inn Rotorua(Rotorua)(Great Value!)
US$142
US$123
US$110
US$84
Agoda.com
Wai Ora Lakeside Spa Resort(Rotorua)(Great Value!)
US$221
US$186
Agoda.com
Prince's Gate Hotel(Rotorua)(Great Value!)
US$166
US$140
Best Western Braeside Rotorua(Rotorua)(Great Value!)
US$118
US$106
US$140
US$136
Cedarwood Lakeside(Rotorua)(Great Value!)
US$118
US$114
All reviewsmain buildingdouble roomno shoes policybook exchangebig dormcommunal spacewell stocked kitchenchess setfavourite hostelcommon areascool stufftravel tipson site parkingcommon roombig kitchentoilet and showernew zealand
Reviewed 27 August 2008

FGV is a nice place to stay in Rotorua. Its in a great spot close to town and the Pak'N'Save / Warehouse etc. There are 2 separate buildings - the hostel building and then another quieter house across the road (where I stayed). Both buildings are show-free!

The room was fine, bed's mattress was pretty old and soft/springy but comfy. Kitchen was nice though quite small when the house is full (only one hob). Theres also no windows in the sittingroom and no telly and it gets kinda chilly at night!

The lady I dealt with Anja was really helpful and friendly and helped me find a beauty place that was HEAPS cheaper (and much better value) than the Polynesian Spa.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 June 2008

This is a backpacker paradis for travellers with a good sence of humour. Gerard and Anja are great hosts. This is a great place to meet other travellers. It is not a place for party animals and drunken teenagers. It's the perfect place for the real backpacker.
I stayed several times in the FGV and had an excellent time everytime. Feel home in Rotorua !

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 January 2008

So if you have already booked, know ahead of time, you pay with cash only. If you haven't booked, you have to call -- no online booking.

We stayed in a room with a bathroom (en suite). It did not look like much elbow grease was needed to actually remove the mold from shower or back of the toliet. The heater would have been nice if it worked. The heated towel rack was nice.

I would not say this is the best hostel I have ever stayed in, but it was okay.

Note: I recommend traveling to Rotorua last, because all of your stuff will stink (sulfur) by the time you leave...I was happy to come home and was all my clothes :)

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wahooaud
Reviewed 19 August 2007

Ok so the other reviews are correct in some ways, yes it's very very clean, well kept and a nice location. But and it's a BIG BUT the owner is to be avoided at all costs. He is very friendly to start with when you check in but then it goes down hill after that to the point you want to leave. There is not a word strong enough to describe him, he is like the other reviews say very very rude. My girlfriend was changing in the room and he'd just burst in for no apparent reason 'to chat'. A girl we were sharing with was ridiculed for the whole night because she bought in his word 'cheap dirty meat', so much so that she had to leave the dining room, I’m sorry but if you own a hostel you accommodate for guests that are travelling on a tight budget. A couple we met after had also stayed there and forgot to turn their heater off - the owner had been in to the room and taken it away from them and wouldn't return it. If you want a shower at any time after 10 am forget it as there'll be a sign up saying 'showers airing for the day' - Great!!! Oh and one last thing if you decide to stay make sure you put the correct items in the correct recycle bin, one poor lad was literally told of like a child at school for putting the tiniest of onion peel in the general rubbish bin instead of the compost bin.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with friends
6  Thank sky1000
Reviewed 2 January 2007

I have stayed at many hostels and this is by far the best I have EVER stayed at (although Krumlov House in Cesky Krumlov is close). Its clean, the staff is friendly (I watched a rugby match with the owner) and there are tons of "extras" to make your stay nicer. They have a large stock of spices in the kitchen, plus the layout was nice.

the only thing I didn't like was that you had to take your shoes off to go inside. I hate that, but about 50% of the hostels in NZ seemed to be that way.

Stayed: November 2006