“HORRIBLE Customer Service!!!”
Review of Malones Motel

Malones Motel
Ranked #67 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I just called to try to make a booking, as the pictures of the Motel were very nice. An Asian boy answer the phone - I have nothing against to an Asian person as I have many Asian friends - but I have to say that this boy had a lot of hard time to communicate with me.

Anyway, we star talking about me wanting to do a booking for this coming Sunday, but first I needed to know about amenities and room configuration (Normal questions if you want to book a room!!??); however, when I asked about room configuration he send me to check the website, but I asked if he could tell me as I didn't want to have to search in my computer again for the website (if I was on the phone with him already, why not to give me the information or not???).

Then suddenly the phone call was cut .... I wasn't sure if it was a mistake or what so I call again, just to find out that when the boy answer and realised that it was me, got very upset and to me, in his poor English, if I want it to book to do it now and if I want to know the room configuration to go and check the website.

To be honest I have no idea what make him so upset, but very calm I asked him if he was upset and he said that he was very busy and didn't have time to talk to me .... (Okey!!!! what a way of running business!!!); then I ask few times if he was the owner of the Motel but he never answer and hang up on me again!

Seriously I have no idea what just happened!!! I really don't think that my questions were out of place (????) ... I really hope that this person is not the owner, because if this is the way that they treat their potential guests, I have no idea what they are doing in the Hospitality business and of course I do not recommend to anyone to stay in this Motel ... we all deserve better customer service!!!

Ah! and by the way, I actually did email them few days before with my booking request and they never answer me, but I was so keen in booking with them that I end it up making this phone call ... Ha! Silly me!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank VeronicaParra

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Stayed for 2 nights as part of a group. Room was modern with stylish finish and clean. Bathroom had a large spa bath. Free wifi for 30 mins and a new code each day.

Had kitchenette which even had washing up liquid and dish towels. Didn't make much use of it but great if you wanted to save and cook dinner etc. It was well stocked with microwave and hot plate.

Staff welcoming and friendly. We stayed at the back annexe, very quiet.

I would say though we weren't within walking distance of the town centre but everything within an easy car journey.

Staff booked us onto trips and got us discounts, very pleased!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank MakeupI
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We stayed here twice and both times at the back quieter end of the place. The owners are lovely, helpful and couldn't do more. WIFI worked and was free with a voucher. Rooms were clean and big enough for a family, Enough room for everybody and a well stocked little kitchenette with a toaster, kettle and hot plate. The furniture was modern and the heater and electric blankets were much appreciated as it was cold overnight. The only downside was that we had noisy neighbours and we could their TV through the wall. I would highly recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: Stay at the back, it's much quieter away from the main road into town.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Myself and partner stayed in Rotorua over the summer and chose to stay at Malones as we had heard great things-value,service etc..we had an enjoyable time while there! we stayed in the Executive Studio and the room was immaculately clean, we got there after the new furniture was put in and wow! they look really good.Loved the spa pool-great to relax after a day of sightseeing, and with the room being down the back of the property there was hardly any road noise so had a great sleep too!! The new owner and manager helped us with tour ideas and booked us in for some activities while in Rotorua-great service from them both! Good value for $,great service and excellent location!! I have already booked in for next years summer! :)

Room Tip: The Executive Studio are great for couples!!! No road noise either.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Wi-Fi does not work properly, keeps cutting out, need to put password every time a new page is opened. Carpets were dirty and dusty cob webs and spiders all over even on the dish rack, Kitchen utensils were not washed properly the spatula was not washed since last use. Shower does not work, works as good as using a spray bottle. The bed sounds like it is about to break, woke up with a neck an shoulder pain.
The only good thing i can say is that the spa pool worked well.
Quite disappointing for a first world country and such a well known tourist destination.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 January 2014

Claims you have 6 hours of free wireless, but couldn't connect to their network once, even after help from the office. They say there are 5 sky channels but its all poor reception still on analogue with 2 or 3 sport and two movie channels. The channels are difficult to access and find. They hav'nt been set up properly. One of the beds feels like sleeping on wood. Very old motel, asset is the private spa attached to room.

Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Shawn M
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Got tired of driving on our trip back from Wellington (via Napier), so we dropped in to Malones at Rotorua. For a very reasonable room rate we got a large clean and comfortable room with a spa bath at the rear of the motel - so very quiet and peaceful. All in all we can thoroughly recommend Malones as a great place to stay in Rotorua.

Room Tip: Rooms down the ramp are away from the road and it's very peaceful.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business