See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 13 June 2011

This hostel is a pretty standard backpackers. The sheets are clean but the mattress was a little thin. Nice big kitchen and plenty of space to cook and eat, two TV lounges, free internet was a bonus. The guy who runs it is nice and friendly, gives advice on local sights etc. and can sometimes get good deals.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 June 2011

I noticed Cactus Jack simly by walking around in Rotoruta. Its outdore decorations and cactuses :)P impressed me so I decided to stop

by and ask about the fees etc. The staff were really friendly and kind so I decided to book few days. I was totally happy about my stay.

The decorations inside are as same as awesome as outside, it feels like wild wild west and I loved it. There is free internet, which is so useful for backpackers :) and two tv rooms with cable and everything. The kitchen is spacey and the general atmosfere laidback and friendly. I can recomend this hostel.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 April 2011

I stayed in Cactus Jack for a couple of days and it was very nice. The staff give you information if you need it. They can book some activities you want to do. There is a hot pool and computer. There is a pool table. The kitchen is big and you can cook easily.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 April 2011

I really enjoyed my stay. The backpacker had lots of character and the staff were really friendly and made me feel very welcome. I was really impressed with the cleanliness and it seemed the staff were constantly cleaning. The facilities were very nice, even better than I expacted and I spent quite a few evenings in the lovely hot pool. The free internet was GREAT too. I felt the website was very understated. Overall I was very impressed. Very good value for money. still searching for a backpackers that competes with the price and facilities! Loved it!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 March 2011

Really enjoyed staying at Cactus Jacks, it had an amazing feel to it and I had a great night sleep which was wonderful, I stayed in the 6 share lady's dorm which was spacious, clean and colourful.

The manager is putting a lot of work into improvements so if you stay and have any ideas they're really open to hearing what you have to say. The manager and his sons (since it's family run) are really friendly and helpful.

My stay in Rotorua was made all the more memorable for having stayed there.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo