See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 12 January 2012

I found this hostel walking down the street. Nobody a the reception, I didn't ring and just poped in for a look : very nice and friendly decoration, pleasant and clean common areas, original organization of the building, it's like a little mexican stylised village !
I thought "that would do for tonight if I stay in town".
I came back in the evening : lovely staff, cheap and cool ambient !
I have stayed for 2 nights so far... and may be back !

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Nicobolo
Reviewed 8 January 2012

Positives: Relatively cheap, good location and friendly guy on reception who was more than happy to reccommend good things to do around Rotorua and gave us a discount on an activity we booked. They also let us leave our luggage at reception after we checked out and waited for our afternoon coach which was nice.

Negatives: This place is in great need of a renovation throughout. The room we stayed in resembled a horse's stable and was tiny with a uncomfortable bunk bed squeezed in, despite us booking a double room. We were kept up till 2:30am by people in the courtyard drinking and shouting. They eventually kept quiet and went to bed after my partner asked them to keep the noise down. The toilets were quite dirty and there was no soap provided to wash your hands. Refused to have a shower here as probably would have come out dirtier than going in!

Room Tip: Request an inside room in order to keep the noise out!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 November 2011

Myself and my bf had the displeasure of staying here for one night in late October. I chose it bcos it was close to the bus stop where we were dropped and we had a quick nights stopover before heading to taupo. We stayed in a double room with shared bathroom. The room and the entire hostel is filthy, run down and in dire need of refurbishment (if not bulldozing and starting again.) The room was an ok size and had a fridge - which was rusting and dirty but worked fine. The decor didn't feel wild west themed - just painted in gaudy/faded bright colours - eg the bottom half of our room was dark brown and top half bright yellow (maybe to hide dirt??) We also had a water pipe that went directly through our room horizontally over one side of the bed - which was painted bright pink (suppose it helped you to see it and prevent hitting ur head when sitting up in bed though!!). The window would not close properly and so bugs were everywhere in the room! The curtains were coated in grime. At least the bedding seemed clean - otherwise I would have refused to stay there! Walls r paper thin - the whole place honestly reminded me of a shanty town! There is a 'spa pool' that was right outside our room (didn't use it for fear of becoming ill) that made loads of noise throughout the night. The bathrooms were absolutely disgusting - rotten sinks, taps, toilets - mould, stains and dirt everywhere! I could not bring myself to shower there and we spent as little time as possible in the hostel - literally slept and left. We didn't use the kitchen but we had to walk through it to get to our room - and it too appeared dirty and bug ridden!
We have now been travelling for nearly 3 months staying in hostels in nz n oz and this is THE worst place we have stayed in by far!

• Stayed: October 2011
2  Thank leolion1
Reviewed 10 October 2011

fantastic backpackers, the cheapest I found in the whole country! Owners were very warm and friendly and offered really good discounts on local trips in Rotorua. Kitchen was fairly large, and living room was cosy. Also had a mexican themed bar with pool table, and large outside area with hot tub in the summer! Could perhaps be due a slight renovation, but at the great price you really can't complain. As with most people backpacking, a modern building really isn't part of the decision! About 10 minutes walk to the main bars - which arent that many in Rotorua, but quieter than staying at Base hostel which is opposite the main backpackers bar. If you're looking for a smaller hostel this is the one for you.

Room Tip: A range of rooms from girls only, boys only, mixed small, mixed large. Cheapest rooms are the largest.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 September 2011

Funky hostel :-) Interesting and comfortable. Lots of fun in the summer.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple