See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 13 May 2012

I stayed 3 nights at Cactus Jacks and a friend also joined me. Paul the manager was awesome, as was Mae. Both were regularly on hand with ideas of what to do, where to go, what activities were better than others etc. The hostel was clean and tidy with wicked decor. I would highly recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank SuzeC15
SwordKing, Owner at Cactus Jacks Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2012

Thank you Suze We will endeavour to keep our standards up

Reviewed 15 April 2012

we had a twin room for 2 of us travelling, Dan the manager was great! he told us an option of things he would recommend to do in rotorua, he even took us himself to the waiotapu water thermal spring, which i would highly recommend if you stayed here. great price, great company. tidy place. this is a themed backpackers.

Room Tip: Do the Waiotapu Natural Thermal Spring tour through the hostel- ask the manager about it.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank victorialucy_11
Reviewed 20 March 2012

I stayed 4 nights at Cactus Jacks i researched it before travelling but its reviews hard still difficult to assess a place. There is always someone who thought the place was terrible. The service at CJs can not be beaten, they are always around and can book trips and organised discounts and deals for many sights. The got me a $24 discount off white water rafting for example. Value can't be beaten, cheapest rates for any back backpacker style accommodation in Rotorua. Sleep Quality mind was good although people were making a noise in the main common area after 10pm. They do have a noise policy though. Cleanliness I found this very good, toilets and showers spotless. Kitchen area very good as well. Location in my opinion the best. You are 200m away from the main street and shopping area. Easy walking distance if you don't have a car or transport. Rooms, old styled but themed. They aren't new but alot of renovations is taking place to improve them. Currently some rooms are having en suites installed. My bed was comfortable and warm. I was in 6 bed male only with no one else. Swimming pool it had a spa but this was being renovated. They do not have a fitness center. The efforts made to theme the accommodation are excellent. There are semi permanent lodgers and they are helpful and approachable.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Martin H
Reviewed 18 March 2012

My son, 20, and I stayed there for one night. Just to see the front of the house made me happy - a "very" yellow house with "Backpackers Cactus Jack" and with a mexican man painted on the top and a lot of big cactuses in the flowerbed.
The doors to the rooms, after having passed the kitchen, were all painted in different ways - there was a horse in a box, a jail, a saloon etc.
There was a hot pool that we used and there were good laundry facilities.
The lounge and the kitchen were well equipped and sheets and towels were included in the price.
The staff were friendly and helpful and there were discounts on "things to do".
It's situated in the town centre and it's very close to everything.
The only less good thing was that the walls were so thin that you could here what the neighbour was doing... :-), but we'd definite stay there again if we go to Rotorua.
I wish I could add some photos!
Liselotte and Robin from Sweden.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Liselotte3
Reviewed 14 March 2012

We stayed at Cactus Jack for 2 nights and when we arrived, the guy from reception (sorry darling, forgot your name, haha) gave us A LOT of useful information, including thinking budget-wisely. He even gave us a discount on a tour :) !! Although we broke his computer twice, he helped us out by repairing the computer at the spot! Very nice place and we will go back in a few days, passing through Rotorua again!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends