“Possible fleas!”

Cactus Jacks Backpackers
Reviewed 2 August 2012

I got some kind of allergic reaction on my neck from the bed not sure what it was but could be fleas. Huge itchy red spots all over my neck and under my chin! Some kitchen equipments could be better and more variety. On the plus side the place is really warm and showers were good. I think they are trying to improve the place at the moment. Doesn't seem like a party place tho.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Inka K
SwordKing, Owner at Cactus Jacks Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2012

Thanks for the review; We have engaged somebody to check for fleas etc and to remedy.
We take this matter seriously so it would have been more helpful if this problem was brought to our attention earlier.
Our kitchen equipment is continually being upgraded.
Our best wishes Inka K

There are newer reviews for Cactus Jacks Backpackers

Reviewed 31 July 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at this hostel, they make a great first impression, with very friendly and helpful staff. The hostel is kept clean and tidy. And the quirky decoration really added to the stay. It is very central for town, and sights. It's also very reasonably priced. I also felt totally secure leaving my belongings there, while I went out to explore! If you're travelling to Rotorua and need a cheap, good place to stay- this is the place.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo

Thanks for your comments our best wishes to you

Reviewed 24 June 2012

Cactus Jacks Backpackers is in a great location in Rotorua. It is handy to lots of the local attractions that we wanted to go to. They also offer great discounts on many of these attractions, which saved us money. I like it too how we could ask and get recommendations of fun things to do in the local area. That made it easy for us to plan our stay. We had great fun doing the white water rafting down the Kaituna and over 7m drop too!

For us travelling from Australia it was great to know that linen was provided on all of the beds. This meant that we did not need to think about bringing extra stuff with us. We were able to prepare tasty meals in the kitchen that had everything we needed.

It was nice having the room to ourselves with the 4 bunk beds together. We had a lovely family time and created great memories for the future. We were also able to email family back home with the cheap internet access that Cactus Jacks offers.

Overall we had a lovely time in Rotorua and are happy to recommend Cactus Jacks Backpackers to other families who are looking for somewhere that is reasonably priced to stay.

Room Tip: Book the 4 bed dorm if you have a family with you.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 May 2012

i stayed here 6 weeks working for accomodation, the owner really helped me and my friends out. all the staff were a good laugh and the banter wit dan was hilarious!! will miss everyone. the location was perfect easy walkin distance to everything. shame the spa wasnt workin but we found brilliant hotpools the locals told us about. would definately come stay here again. Big it up to Cactus Jacks!!! peace out much love

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
SwordKing, Owner at Cactus Jacks Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2012

Thank you for your positive review. We loved how efficient you girls were and that you strived to keep Cactus to the high standard of cleanliness that we aim for. I hope you guys have an awesome time while you are here in New Zealand and can only wish the very best for each one of you

Reviewed 13 May 2012

I stayed 3 nights at Cactus Jacks and a friend also joined me. Paul the manager was awesome, as was Mae. Both were regularly on hand with ideas of what to do, where to go, what activities were better than others etc. The hostel was clean and tidy with wicked decor. I would highly recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank SuzeC15
SwordKing, Owner at Cactus Jacks Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2012

Thank you Suze We will endeavour to keep our standards up

Reviewed 15 April 2012

we had a twin room for 2 of us travelling, Dan the manager was great! he told us an option of things he would recommend to do in rotorua, he even took us himself to the waiotapu water thermal spring, which i would highly recommend if you stayed here. great price, great company. tidy place. this is a themed backpackers.

Room Tip: Do the Waiotapu Natural Thermal Spring tour through the hostel- ask the manager about it.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank victorialucy_11
Reviewed 20 March 2012

I stayed 4 nights at Cactus Jacks i researched it before travelling but its reviews hard still difficult to assess a place. There is always someone who thought the place was terrible. The service at CJs can not be beaten, they are always around and can book trips and organised discounts and deals for many sights. The got me a $24 discount off white water rafting for example. Value can't be beaten, cheapest rates for any back backpacker style accommodation in Rotorua. Sleep Quality mind was good although people were making a noise in the main common area after 10pm. They do have a noise policy though. Cleanliness I found this very good, toilets and showers spotless. Kitchen area very good as well. Location in my opinion the best. You are 200m away from the main street and shopping area. Easy walking distance if you don't have a car or transport. Rooms, old styled but themed. They aren't new but alot of renovations is taking place to improve them. Currently some rooms are having en suites installed. My bed was comfortable and warm. I was in 6 bed male only with no one else. Swimming pool it had a spa but this was being renovated. They do not have a fitness center. The efforts made to theme the accommodation are excellent. There are semi permanent lodgers and they are helpful and approachable.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo