“Worst backpacker ever in NZ!”

Cactus Jacks Backpackers
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Dirty and disgusting + unbelievably rude owner who literally steal your 20$ key deposit if you are a few minute late for the 10am check out! Seriously! But well done because when you arrive you write all your information on a paper (as for almost all backpackers in NZ) and you signed it. And there is a note specifying that if you check out after 10am you will loose your key deposit, so he covers himself! We stayed there for 4 days in a really not busy period. I had totally forgotten about this little note when we check out (like if this was the only thing in your mind when you travel). We were a little bit late for the check out but 1/ it is not like someone has been waiting for the room in that case I could totally understand the inconvenience 2/ the girls who were cleaning were already busy with other rooms so again it is not like we were making them wait for us. When I went to check out, he just told me in an extremely satisfied tone: you just loose your key deposit! I of course apologized for the few minutes late and thought he was kidding about not giving us back the deposit. It's not like we had checked out at 11h30 or 12h! But no no he was serious and he even told me: This will be a lesson for you! Seriously? Who does he think he is? We have been travelling for years and there are no backpacker in the world which is doing this, even more in a not busy period (because I could really understand it when it is busy and people are waiting for the room to be cleaned..etc). Anyway, just make yourself a favor and avoid this terrible place! There are so many other nice places with sooo nice owners in NZ!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CHJS
There are newer reviews for Cactus Jacks Backpackers

Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for four nights and though my first impression wasn't the best, it improved once I realised what a friendly and fun hostel this is. The hostel is Mexican themed with colourful murals and signs inside and out - really wonderful and artistically rendered. The staff and guests were generally very friendly and good company making this a great place for a solo traveller. I stayed in a twin room by myself which was simple but adequate.

My only caveats were the rather somber check in experience with a young lady who treated me like a nuisance. The owner Paul was much more welcoming and friendly. They seem to be doing up the place so it should be even nicer in the near future.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Minty_Danni
SwordKing, Owner at Cactus Jacks Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Thanks for your Review..
Cactus jacks is always being upgraded . It is our aim to modernise and make our Hostel into something extra special.
Your kind words are encouraging

Reviewed 2 February 2014

I have just gotten back from Rotorua for ragga muffin 2014, overall my experience at the backpackers was awesome an beyond I found all the people that stayed there were all super friendly and considerate! I would like to thank the manager so much for the weekend , I thought the whole set up of the place was cool and the atmosphere made it memorable thaaank you soooooo much p.s Idk wat that bad review was about cos she must of Ben some where else as her review sucked!!!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Ayla M
SwordKing, Owner at Cactus Jacks Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

Reviewed 30 January 2014

The Cactus Jack in Rotorua is a very charming hostel with a nice South American atmosphere, because as you walk by you see a lovely front yard filled with a lot cactuses (which isn’t the only thing which gives you the feeling of South America). We were astonished by the friendly owner called Paul, who gave us free beer and free internet vouchers, furthermore Paul can get special discounts on tours in Rotorua as he is a known person in Rotorua. The hostel itself is clean and the beds are very comfortable, what you actually wouldn’t expect for the very cheap price of the dorm rooms. First we just wanted to stay few days, but then we decided that we will stay longer in the hostel, not just because you can do a lot in Rotorua, because we really like the hostel. Furthermore the Cactus Jack is just about two minutes walk away from the “CBD”, so you profit from its central location.

All in all if you are looking for a nice and charming hostel at low price, we can recommend you going to the Cactus Jack , as there is a wide range of hostels in Rotorua.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank 161Seb

Thanks for the kind words

Reviewed 4 January 2014

we booked 2 double rooms at $75 a night. One had a tv and the other one didnt which i thought was strange. Especially for what we paid. The rooms were so tiny and dirty. The shower was dirty and had no pressure what so ever, it was like taking a shower in the rain. The room was so hot that it was very hard to sleep, there was no air con and only a small window which didnt let any air in. Both nights we stayed there was loud music and people talking until 1am. You had to pay to use the pool table and the spa pool was only open from around 2pm to 930pm. when we checked in around 1pm the manager was eating lunch and didnt seem too happy that we had interupted him. Overall i would never stay here again and would not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Sharna O

I guess there ae times when a guest is angry and posts a bad review
First I am sorry our place did not meet all your expectations.
Second If my rooms are dirty why would you not ask us to clean them and further why would you put up with dirty rooms fo two nights? I cannot figure that one out at all..
In closing we thank you for reminding us that we have to work harder to please all our guests so our blessings to you for your future.
We know that Cactus Jack backpackers provides a good quality backpackers which pleases some people all the time.
Our aim is to please all our guests all the time

Reviewed 27 December 2013

Hi, I stayed a short while ago. Lovely character place. Quirky artwork. Extremely helpful staff willing to diffuse any situation amongst guests quickly & quietly. Great touristy advice. Very clean & comfortable. Loved it. Long-term stayers are welcoming with lots of stories.

Room Tip: Rooms inside are quieter. Very sociable around the courtyard.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nichole F
SwordKing, Owner at Cactus Jacks Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2013

Thank you for writing your positive review
I think that more people should write reviews

Reviewed 11 December 2013

I don't get the whining here about this place.

Its cheap. Its a bit tacky. Tonnes of character. The minimum you expect from a cheap hostel.

Yes it was loud and a bit grimy but hey, if you wanted better...pay more!

Love the art around the place. Wouldn't stay again but enjoyed my 2 night stay nonetheless.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Oliver A

Thanks for taking time to write a review.
We now have an incentive to improve our place
Thanks