All reviewsheated poolgreat poolfree wifikuirau parkenjoyed our staykids loved the poolthermal poolscomfortable bedsclose to townsky tvbedroom unitroad noisea great place to stayeasy accesslovely hostshandy locationgood size
Reviewed 3 February 2014

A place where we felt at home, clean, good service and friendly owner.
Yes very happy and highly recommended for families...
Good position and plenty of easy parking, towels replaced and cleaned each day....
Will visit again...

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 February 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights with an old schoolfriend of mine who was visiting NZ for the first time. I booked it based on the excellent tripadvisor reviews and I was not disappointed. Brij did everything he could to ensure we had a wonderful stay - you simply could not find a more kind and generous host. We stayed in a one bedroom apartment which had ample room for the two of us with an additional bed in the sitting room and separate kitchen and bathroom. Everything was immaculately clean and well thought out. We had a swim in the lovely pool every morning and going for a dip in the lovely warm water at 7 am was an absolute pleasure. Brij helped us sort out various trips (would highly recommend Tim from Tim's tours who took us round the Thermal Wonderland and was an entertaining and informative guide and also the Canopy Tour experience.) We also loved the Redwood forest which is on the outskirts of town - Brij took us out there in his car. (He told us that it was his mission to provide superlative service and this is just one example of his kindness.) His manageress (whose name I'm afraid I have forgotten) was also fabulous - we felt we were leaving friends behind when we reluctantly had to depart.
This was my first trip to Rotorua but I am hatching plans to take my family there next year - we will definitely stay at the Cleveland. I am 100% confident my husband and kids will love it as much as we did!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 January 2014

We were just looking for somewhere child friendly to lay our heads at night, with a kitchenette. We were greeted by the owner, who instantly made us feel welcome and provided great incite to the tourist attractions, as well as plenty of discount vouchers to be used during our stay. Cleveland offers superbly tidy rooms, which are serviced daily, a gorgeous DEEP heated pool, mineral spa and excellent friendly service. The staff are so helpful. This was going to be a one off trip, but we now plan to go back, and will definitely stay here again. Thank you for a fantastic holiday.

Room Tip: Don't be deterred that this place is child friendly. There is plenty of room for everyone!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We stayed at the Cleveland for 3 nights in early November 2013. I couldn’t give a higher recommendation for this place. The accommodation was good value for money and the service was spectacular- far beyond what a guest could reasonably expect.

The Motel is located a km or two from the centre of town. This was great, because we were far enough away from the main strip to get some much needed peace and quiet, but close enough to drive there in two minutes! There’s also a 24 hour convenience store across the road.

We purchased a studio room, but were upgraded to a one bedroom apartment at no extra cost. We were grateful to them for doing this, but I think even a studio room would have been good value because all the rooms have basic kitchen facilities. The motel itself is quite old, but we had no problem with this because our apartment looked like it’d had a partial renovation at some point, ie: The interior isn’t as dated as the exterior. In fact we noticed a painter doing one of the other apartments whilst we stayed. The place was very clean and tidy, and everything was in working order.

As I mentioned earlier, the thing that really set the Cleveland apart for us was the service from Brij and Ronette. I’m sure you can get good value accommodation all over Rotorua but I doubt you’ll get looked after like we were from the lovely host couple. We were very busy in the lead up to our trip, and so we hadn’t pre booked much by way of activities. Not to worry! Brij was happy to provide helpful suggestions about places to go and things to do. Their helpfulness even extended to lending us an umbrella on one particularly rainy day.

The only minor quibble I’ll mention, in the interests of objectivity, is that the wifi was fairly slow. Fortunately for us the main purpose for using the internet was reading up on the many things to do in Rotorua. But with the amount of brochures there are to read- most of which you’ll find available from the office at the Cleveland- we hardly needed it anyway.

Good value, great service. 5 stars!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Great family environment. Safe play area for the kids. Awesome pool, nice and big. Clean rooms but the one bedroom apartment is a little small for family of five. The two bedroom would be the better option next time. Friendly host.

• Stayed: January 2014