All reviews heated pool great pool free wifi kuirau park enjoyed our stay kids loved the pool thermal pools comfortable beds close to town bedroom unit sky tv a great stay handy location good size rotorua area great facilities three nights
Reviewed 19 March 2014

The owner is a kind, patient human being. He provides vouchers for sights around Rotorua. Toward the end of my stay, I found out that he is currently renovating all the hotel rooms. My hotel room hadn't been renovated yet, but I found nothing wrong with it. The floor, kitchen, and bathroom were clean. Refrigerator was tidy. Overall, the hotel is affordable and conveniently situated near most of the tourist sights in Rotorua. I didn't try the mineral spa or swimming pool, so I can't comment on them. Nonetheless, I enjoyed the free Wi-Fi. It's so hard to find a hotel in New Zealand that doesn't charge/limit your access to the internet.

Great owner, great hotel.

Room Tip: If you'd like to stay in a renovated room, you could try asking the owner. Although I don't know what they look like, I can only assume that it must be quite good considering my hotel room was already decent.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank AsianTraveler24
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Good basic comfortable accomodation with good self-catering kitchen facilities. Helpful hosts/owners (Brij). Moderately easy walking access (10-15 minutes) to downtown ped mall via thermal parks and the hospital or direct via Lake Road. Shops (veggie, meat, bread/milk)right across the street. Sorry we missed having any pool time - too much else to do in and around the town.

Room Tip: Nothing particular - all seemed like OK locations
Reviewed 10 March 2014

This was our third stay at the Cleveland on our annual three day visit to Rotorua, and was originally tried on the recommendation of friends. Previously we always stayed at the city centre Millennium hotel, but is definitely not to be recommended.
Our hosts at Cleveland are warm and welcoming and our rooms have always been clean, comfortable and offered everything we've needed.
We make and enjoy full use of the pools and the location makes it easy to reach the city and other places of interest. Parking outside our room was never a problem and always better for us -my partner being disabled.
We left behind an item of clothing but this was promptly packaged and posted on to us, and was much appreciated.
We look forward to returning next year and definitely recommend it to you for your stay in the meantime.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms for preference if you have problems with stairs.
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Based on Tripadvisor reviews we chose to stay here. I'm so glad we did. Whilst the motel is a bit old and tired, it is spacious, has a great pool, good location and well priced. Maybe the highlight was the owner Brij, who made us feel incredibly welcome, had tremendous local knowledge and was a terrific ambassador for Rotorua. Would gladly return and no hesitation in recommending.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 March 2014

My husband and I spent one night at the Cleveland Motel in February 2014, and wished it could have been longer. The proprietor was very helpful and friendly, gave us good advice about places to go, things to see. The rooms were very clean and had everything we needed for self catering. WiFi/TV system worked great. Parking was right in front of the room, very convenient, and we had a nice quiet nights sleep there. Just wish we'd had more time to sample the pools! Great location, could walk to downtown through a lovely park with many geothermal features, and after paying for going to the "name" places during the day, felt the "free" park experience was just about as good! Downtown was quite nice, they are working on a pedestrian mall area with a concentration of restaurants, and it looks like it will be very nice when done, it already was a good stop for food.