The Backyard Inn
Novotel
US$130
US$113
  • Pool
Ramada Resort Rotorua Marama(Rotorua)(Great Value!)
US$183
US$142
US$153
US$147
Orbitz.com
US$142
US$118
Agoda.com
Cleveland Thermal Motel(Rotorua)(Great Value!)
US$99
US$91
Agoda.com
Prince's Gate Hotel(Rotorua)(Great Value!)
US$86
US$77
Emerald Spa Motor Inn(Rotorua)(Great Value!)
US$104
US$95
Best Western Braeside Rotorua(Rotorua)(Great Value!)
US$110
US$96
Travelocity
US$67
US$64
Orbitz.com
  • Pool
All reviewscommunal kitchenthermal hot poolcommon roomcommunal areaskuirau parkopened the doorenjoyed my staycentral rotoruatown centreaquaticaccommodationsinksdustonsiteheapssports
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 November 2010

Extra milage to please. Kind and thoughtful with our group. Provided more than was necessary to make our stay welcoming and comfortable. We as an Association appreciated the respect and care we received. Thanks Heaps SJMGCPPNA.

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed 30 August 2010

I have travelled to many different countries, and stayed in a variety of different hotels & this is the worst place I have been to. After arriving to Kiwi Paka in the afternoon, we took our bags to our rooms & shortly after, our group left to attend a show. Upon arriving back only a few hours later, we found that 10 of our 12 groups' rooms had been broken into. The doors to the rooms are simple glass sliding doors, which provide no security, given the ease at which the burglars gained entry into so many of our rooms. The staff & manager where unsympathetic & not willing to help our group at all, even laughing at our groups plight! Likewise, the Rotorua Police were incompetent and made many mistakes on the Police report. Our group did not feel safe staying here, and we left the hostel at midnight & checked into the Sudima Hotel (who were very accomodating & not much more expensive than Kiwi Paka. This was a lovely hotel).

This place is ok for a base, if you take every valuable item with you. There is no safe in the room & as mentioned before, the rooms are not difficult to break into.

If staying in Rotorua, choose to stay somewhere else, as going to this resort ruined many of the tour groups' holiday as all their belonging were taken.

• Stayed: June 2010
1  Thank Baybeedoll12
Reviewed 11 July 2010

This is the worst travel experience I have ever had to encounter. The rooms are tiny and terrible and entirely unsafe. The group I was with had rooms broken into and many belongings stolen. Sadly, the staff were unsympathetic to our plight and as the night wore on, became aggresive and difficult. It would seem very odd that they were drinking the whole afternoon in full view of the rooms broken into, they knew our group was out that night on a cultural tour and therefore not in their rooms, our tour bus was still parked in the driveway and ours were the only rooms broken into on that night... Hmmm...
Frankly, there are a million other places to stay in Rotorua in order to avoid this dump. There are comparable rates as well. Do not jeopardise your trip for the sake of saving a few bucks when you risk it costing you a whole lot more in hassle and feeling unsafe. To add, anyone who has to deal with Rotorua Police (following a burglary) are in for a comedy of errors! I have travelled far and wide in this world and this honestly is the worst place, the worst experience and the worst customer service I have evr experienced. DO NOT STAY HERE!

Stayed: June 2010
1  Thank BlackBootGirl
Reviewed 5 July 2010

My partner and I stayed at this Hostel for 10 nights in our campervan and it was only $10.50 pp for a powered site. That included use of all the facilities. The kitchen was very spacious and clean -- had it not been for the little birds who fly in through the window. The thermal pool is a great way to unwind of an evening. The reception staff were lovely, even letting me print documents and send international faxes for a nominal fee. Some people claimed that some of their rooms had been broken into while we were there, but we never saw any foul play from the staff, and after reading the previous reviews I was on the lookout for it! They do have lockers that were available for hire if anyone is uncertain about leaving things in their room. And half way through our stay they employed a night security team to patrol the grounds looking for anyone who shouldn't be there. Kiwipaka was recommended to me, and I will recommend it to anyone else travelling to Rotorua --- particularly if you have your own van, or in the summer if you are to crash in a tent. They have no dump point on the grounds and the sites could be a touch small if you are in a larger van.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2010

I came to this place with a tour group. Soon into our stay we felt jerked around by the staff, and felt we were being spoken to rather rudely. After returning from a group dinner, came back to find several of our rooms had been broken into, and the rest had been tried. Cash, laptops, bags and passports were stolen. I think the fact that this has been mentioned in multiple previous reviews speaks for itself. On top of it all, the staff were not helpful in our pursuit to seek help from law enforcement, and off duty staff members sat outside and laughed at our situation. Absolutely do not stay there, regardless of whether or not its the cheapest option- when they steal your stuff, it won't be worth it.

• Stayed: June 2010