My husband and I stayed at this accomodation in August 2005. It was listed in the guide books and the website certainly looked good. Perhaps I should have realised it wouldnt live up to it's lovely website because there was no 'qualmark" rating.
Having stayed in several accomodations throughout the 3 weeks, I have realised that it's wise to check for the Qualmark rating esp with B & B's.
As some of the reviewers mentioned, we found it quite strange being locked out of the accomodation when we arrived. We stood outside for a while wondering what to do. Eventually we saw the notice about having to pick up the phone outside inorder to key in the code. Only then could we open the door. Not a very good first impression as there was no soul in sight. They should really have the courtesy to come out and greet their guests.
The living room was decent enough but the twin bedroom was definitely pretty tiny, with very little room for us to move. Being asians, we are pretty small built, so I can imagine those who are much taller. The other bedroom across the hall looked larger.
When nightfall came, we realised it was cooollllld! We come from sunny singapore where it's hot and humid all year - so silly me forgot to check if this place had central heating or electric blankets in the bedrooms. (now, that's a lesson we learnt along the way).
Being winter, we found it really freezing at night and layered ourselves with thermal, extra sweaters and socks when we slept. The frustrating part was having to take off the socks each time we needed to go to the toilet. We realised there was no shower screen or floor towel to wipe the water from the floor. So after our bath, the floor would be wet. Imagine having to walk on the cold tiles with water on the floor in the night when you need to get to the bathroom.
Having said that, the place was kept fairly clean. The kitchen had the basic equipment - managed to prepare hard boiled eggs and toast for breakfast. The heater in the living room took some time to warm the room, perhaps they should have it turned on when they have guests. It would be nice to come home to a warm house. When we returned in the evening, it was to a very cold house.
We did get to meet Di on one of the afternoons that we were going out and she was friendly. However, during most of the stay, there really wasnt anyone - not at check in or check out.
It's true that we expected more from the term "boutique" hotel. Yep, one can indeed be fooled by the website - it gives the impression that you can expect much more. So I wouldnt recommend this place, at least not for winter. Even in summer I suppose it can get quite stuffy in the room as the windows open out where anyone can peep or climb in. Good thing we stayed only for 2 nights because the thought of walking on a cold tiled wet bathroom floor would have kept us from taking a bath before bedtime. With the smell of rotten eggs in the air, perhaps no one would notice whether we bathed or not. Haha. Oh gross indeed.
Being our first B & B in NZ, it was a little disappointing. It was good thing we were having a lovely time and in a great holiday mood- great Northern Indian cuisine at the restaurant and Waiotapu and Lady Knox was definitely worth a visit despite the smell of rotten eggs.
Thankfully our other B & B, Appledore Lodge at Bay of Islands was fantastic with lovely views, service and delightful hosts.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Unforgettable Rotorua Lake View Accommodation. Welcome to Diana's Place, where we are delighted to offer you two unique holiday accommodation options situated in stunning Lake Rotorua locations on the North Island of New Zealand. Whether you are planning a romantic getaway, a trip with family and friends, or a corporate retreat, we can offer the accommodation you need. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Diana's Place Lake View Accommodation reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jack & Di`s Lake View Hotel Rotorua
- Jack And Di`s Lake View Accommodation
- Jack Dis Lake View Accommodation