“Still On Cloud 9”

Ranked #26 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
Tauranga, New Zealand
“Still On Cloud 9”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Wow ....I don't know where to start..!!!
From the time we arrived on Saturday for my birthday surprise until the time We left we were totally impressed with Peppers On the Point...!
Andrew who greeted us on arrival treated us like we were family.
The Cottage we stayed in with the Spa pool on the deck with views to die for over the lake was a added bonus.

The 5 course dinner we had that evening was delicious and the service we received from the friendly staff made our night even more pleasurable.
The breakfasts both mornings were also very good.
Thanks to the great chefs both dinner and breakfast.

I travel overseas on a very frequent basis and stay and many lovely hotels,however we feel Peppers on the Point is not like a sterile hotel its more like a down to earth comfortable home/resort.
We felt totally relaxed throughout our stay at this wonderful place.

I also had a relaxing massage whilst staying here and found this to be of international standards as well.
We are totally impressed and will recommend Peppers on the Point and will definitely be recommending this accommodation to our overseas friends and our friends and family in NZ.

Thanks everyone at Peppers for making this the most memorable birthday I have ever had.

You Rock!!!!
Ravi & Kirk

Room Tip: The Cottage next to the Chapel with the Spa Pool very romantic
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kiwiskygirl-1
214KPR, Manager at Peppers on the Point - Lake Rotorua, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
How lovely to read such a postive review, we are delighted you had such a wonderful visit with us and that we could contribute to making your birthday so enjoyable! It was a joy to meet such a relaxed friendly couple and we certainly hope we are able to welcome you back again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Czech first
Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Many of the other reviews of this property are positive so we may have just had a bad experience.
The location and views are fantastic but that was the only positive thing I can say.
As the title suggests this is not a Hotel but a bed & breakfast. Staff are not onsite after 5pm which in the event of a problem means nothing can be done.
The rooms are clean and tidy albeit with a tired decor. Tea & Coffee facilities were provided in room but we only had one teabag !!! We're British for god's sake don't they know how much tea we drink ??
Breakfast was not a great experience. Frozen bread to make toast I can cope with but both my poached and my son's fried eggs were undercooked. In my son's case there was still uncooked egg white....not nice first thing in the morning.
All of this I could have coped with but the nail in the coffin and the reason we left a day early (despite having pre-paid) was the reaction of the Manager to a problem.
We arrived back in the room in the evening to discover the internet was not working. I still have to work whilst away so this was a major problem to me. On speaking to the Manager his response was that I shouldn't travel without all the data I need for work and there was nothing he could do. I'm not often at a loss for words but I was somewhat taken aback by his attitude. I could have accepted that the problem was out of his control but to basically be told that he didn't care and that I shouldn't combine travel and business did, I admit, make me slightly cross!!!!
Checking out the following morning he couldn't even look me in the eye. He just took the keys off me without a word.
I'm sure in his inevitable response he will say that he offered to come down with his mobile to get me on the internet (I was able to do this myself in the end) but this was after the first telephone call and after he realised how much he'd upset me.
In short the service was well short of what I expect from any establishment let alone one that purports to be at the top end.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Phil G
214KPR, General Manager at Peppers on the Point - Lake Rotorua, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
Internet! Something we all rely on BIG TIME!

Yes we had a major problem with this and were let down by NZ largest telecommunications company switching from ADSL to VDSL, in fact we have just got our internet back on after 6 days without it so I totally understand how important it is to have as I tried to run this business without it!

We provide a free internet service to our guests which is so very often appreciated so I was so taken aback by this guest’s response to us not having internet saying it was simply unacceptable!

As it was simply out of our control I tried to explain this but it was not accepted.
Rotorua, New Zealand
Reviewed 26 June 2013

A group of us went for dinner at Peppers and the food was fantastic. Nice and warm on a Winters night with one of the best views over the lake in Rotorua. The Chef just won a Rotorua hospitality award and I can see why! Thanks to the Martins for a great night.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank AndyFuller
214KPR, General Manager at Peppers on the Point - Lake Rotorua, responded to this review, 28 June 2013
You are more than welcome. We are happy you had a memorable night!
australia
Reviewed 26 June 2013

We have stayed at Peppers Hotels within Australia and New Zealand over many years - these are FIVE star hotels designed for couple NOT families with young babies. Very disappointing that we sit down to dinner with a screaming toddler. We just wanted a quiet romantic dinner and we have to deal with a young toddler running around? Staff were dealing with a large dinner party - felt like we were an inconvenience. Not a good experience. Nice grounds but room was not up to expected Peppers Standard. This is the first bad experience with a Peppers hotel. We would not stay here again. Peppers Carringtons in the Northland was exceptional.

Room Tip: Rooms are close together - you can hear next door. do not choose one in the main house.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank jinnine r
What a shame! It's pretty hard to find a property here in NZ that doesn't take children. I think this couple simply did not like children! Our lodge welcomes children so it's best to check with an accommodation provider before the reservation is made. We also do our best to have our families dine earlier or even offer room service and did so on this occasion but our guests declined and wanted to dine in the dining room. Also here in NZ it is not acceptable to ask that a child is removed from a restaurant so we have to rely on the parents to manage this.
Another comment about the rooms, they are just lovely and definitely up to Peppers standards. These guests even made the comment to me how lovely the room was when I checked them in so it’s a real shame they have to try and bring our property down because we had a child in our restaurant.
Another note: This is a converted homestead so not fully noise proofed but if you, say a television on at a reasonable audible level you will not disturb anyone else in the next room so perhaps the couple next door where a little excited and were playing a game of some sorts :)
Hong Kong
Reviewed 25 May 2013 via mobile

Got a special package for one to stay at the ground floor of the villa right beside the tennis court. It is a large apartment suite with two bedrooms, separate living dining room with open kitchen. A huge bathroom with both jacuzzi bath and a separate rain shower type enclosure. There was also a washer/dryer combo in the bathroom.

Cannot fault the suite, except that their site described that the villa overlooks the lake past the tennis court. It sort of does, but not much of a view. You are pretty much looking at the tennis court. The lake is a smudge in the horizon. There are apartments on the next two floors which should offer unobstructed views. Of course, you can walk to the lakeside on the property, but just isn't the same then waking up to a nice view.

Other then the above, the rest was a very restful and nice couple days retreat. You can park your car right outside the villa. Didn't eat at the main dining room, so cannot comment on the food.

I would recommend, but should check carefully what view you
are getting.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Foodom
214KPR, General Manager at Peppers on the Point - Lake Rotorua, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
We only have one Lake Villa Apartment and there are no other apartments on the next two floors above like you have stated. Above the Lake Villa Apartment is our Lake Villa which is a four bedded three bathroom Villa and yes absolute stunning views.We do offer great deals on the apartment and try our best to describe whats on offer. If you are wanting the best views a lodge or Cottage suite is best, however there is a price difference.
We are glad you enjoyed your stay!
Rotorua, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Reviewed 18 May 2013

On the 3rd of May this year myself and my bridal party stayed in the very cosy log chalet cottage at Peppers on The Point. The following day we prepared for our wedding while enjoying the most picturesque panoramic views of Lake Rotorua and Mokoia Island, our vendors came to us so were able to relax while waiting for our 3pm ceremony followed by our reception at 5.30pm.
The staff were welcoming, friendly and went out of their way to ensure our day was perfect from beginning to end. If we had to do it all again, we wouldn't change a thing.
Many thanks to all the staff (too many to thank individually) for such a successful couple of days!
Mr & Mrs Smith.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your wonderful comments and we just loved being part of your special day!
Jodhpur, Rajasthan
Reviewed 14 May 2013

We stayed at Peppers on the Point in Rotorua in September 2009. I must say this was by far the best hotel of our rather long itinerary which boasted of bigger chains and hotels.

The view is breathtaking, the staff was very helpful and welcoming even though we were late in reaching the hotel. They organized a wonderful private dinner for us and the breakfast was sumptuous and enjoyable. I would love to visit Peppers on the Point again and thank you for giving us wonderful memories.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank your for you wonderful comments and we are thrilled you enjoyed your stay! All the very best for your lives together and maybe we shall see you again someday!