“Everything I needed in a hotel and nothing I didn't at a good price”
Review of Ibis Rotorua

Ibis Rotorua
Ranked #33 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
Auckland
“Everything I needed in a hotel and nothing I didn't at a good price”
Reviewed 30 August 2009

I stayed for 2 nights with friends whilst exploring the Rotorua area. Easy to find, near the main lake, quiet and within a 5 minute walk of many restaurants and bars in town. Plenty of parking. The room had 2 double beds, small but functional bathroom, place to hang cloths, TV, phone and tea / coffee making facilities. It was clean, not large but what I want a hotel for is to sleep in and get clean and tidy for going out. The bed was comfy, the room quiet and the water hot, so ticked all my boxes. Check in was simple and the staff friendly - the beers were good and cold. We did not eat in the hotel - there are so many good cafes and restaurants nearby that it is more fun to go out.
I had booked an internet deal where it cost only NZ$59 per room per night which is outstanding value. as the previous reviewer stated - if you can get a room for NZ$100 or less then you have got yourself a very good deal.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
minneapolis
Reviewed 14 August 2009

So, choosing a hotel in Rotorua is quite tricky. So many smaller, "boutique" places, and a few larger, chain-type places (Millennium, Novotel, etc). I found that Accor Asia-Pacific was having a 3-day sale, and happened to find the Ibis Rotorua for NZ$59 including taxes! So I booked it, thinking even if it was bad, I wouldn't be feeling ripped off.
To save money, upon arrival at Rotorua Airport, there is a public bus that comes maybe every 30 minutes or so. It's bright yellow, city of Rotorua service, and I think was less than $3. Great deal, and I was the only passenger! Look it up online.
After getting dropped off about 3-4 blks from the hotel, I walked down the main street (a pedestrian street lined with shops and restaurants) towards the hotel. It's actually located on the same city block as its sister hotel, the Novotel, a fancier property, which is usually about 50% more expensive.
Check-in at Ibis was smooth, and I was given a normal room facing the mountain (There might be lake views the other way, but for the price I paid, who cares?
Unlike some Ibis hotels I've been in, internet was NOT free, you had to pay--and it was also limited by how many MB/KB you used--so it could be expensive if you were online a lot. This seemed to be the same throughout NZ, at least in the places I stayed.
In the room, there was a flat-screen TV, blond wood floors, a smallish bathroom, hot water kettle, small closet with hangars, and a firm bed. While on the small side, it met my needs fine.
HINT: The Ibis has an agreement with the Novotel that you can use the Novotel's gym and pool for free. It's next door, about a 3-minute walk away. Ask the Ibis front desk to program your card for entry at the Novotel's gym. Even some of the Novotel employees were unaware of this perk!
I rented a car on my second day because I'd be driving to Taupo and then on to Tongariro Park and finally Napier, and parking at the Ibis is free. Having a car is a nice way to get out of town and into the beautiful NZ countryside.
Back to the hotel--I didn't eat the breakfast but it's available and quite reasonable at less than NZ$20/day.
There is a happy hour in the late afternoon at the hotel where beer (and maybe wine) is nicely discounted. The front desk lady was also the bartender (!) and very friendly.
It's walking/jogging distance to the huge city park that includes the beautiful--and really interesting--city museum. I walked to the museum one day, and then went jogging to and around the park another day. Lovely.
Also walking distance to the park on the other side of the hill--I can't remember its name--but a nice expanse of green that way, too.
In conclusion, if you can get this hotel for under NZ$100/night, it's a good deal. Simple, clean, functional, and well located!

Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank jpcmpls
Australia
Reviewed 10 June 2009

My Mother and I decided last minute to stay at Rotorua to break up our road trip from Whangarei to Gisbourne. We pulled into the Ibis Hotel at approximately 7pm hungry and tired. Refreshingly we were greeted by a friendly female staff member at Reception who asked whether I was an Accor Member. I pulled out my membership and informed me about all the special offers at the hotel, such as the two for one meals. We were informed of our daily rate for a room with two double beds and ensuite and tea/coffee facilities I was astonished as it was only NZD $84 (about $66). We checked in and proceeded to our rooms. Our room was a standard Ibis room that was comfortable, had a flat screen, two double beds, reading lights, ensuite with shower, and a window facing the CBD. That evening we went to the Lobby to have dinner. We ordered two club sandwiches which were large and satisfying, we also ordered wine which was recommended by the hotel and lovely. The service was fantastic and the staff multi-task at reception, the bar and the restaurant. The following day we used the laundry facilities to wash our clothes. I used the computer in the lobby to check my emails. The computer was convenient, but you can find many internet cafes around Rotorua for a better rate. The car park was great as part of it is undercover and accessible by the lift. We had our buffet breakfast at the restaurant and went about our day. The buffet was lovely and satisfying. All our meals were great and the staff gave us travel advice about the area.

• Stayed May 2009
1 Thank peitafranky
London
Reviewed 25 May 2009

My husband and I stayed in this hotel for one night in April. We have stayed in many Ibis hotels and this was one of the larger rooms we have had. The room was clean and the bathroom was a good size. We got a great price for the room but in hindsight we should have taken up the offer for breakfast for $15 as it is very expensive to get breakfast in town. We saw one place had toast for $12! Parking was easy.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank T-A-UK
London
Reviewed 24 March 2009

Stayed here, as you do, to take in the sights, sounds and smells - excellent first stop in North Island.
Good value hotel, great location and fine for a short stay, easy enough to walk around town, the spa and civic gardens. You need transport for the tourist parks though.

Our bedroom faced onto the street but was not noisy and okay on size, overall a good standard for the money and nothing worn out. Breakfast was fine if not memorable, the staff we spoke to were friendly and courteous.

• Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank H4rlap
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed 1 March 2009

This hotel is an okay place to stay. The room was clean and comfortable, the bathroom kind of small. There was a wardrobe, but no dresser drawers. This wasn't a big problem for us as we were only there two nights. We walked almost everywhere we went, including Te Puia, Polynesian Spa, restaurants and shops. (We had to drive to Skyline Gondola, and take a bus to Mitai Village, as both were outside of town.) I wasn't impressed with the buffet breakfast. Though there was a variety of choices, it was simple (canned fruit as opposed to fresh) and not especially tasty. This hotel is not on the lake. Our "lakeview" room meant that we could see the lake in the distance from our window. I can't say if it is a good value compared to other hotels in Rotorua as the room was booked by a tour company and I don't know what the rate was.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple