Crash Palace
US$154
  • Pool
US$112
US$89
Holiday Inn Rotorua(Rotorua)(Great Value!)
US$199
US$174
US$557
US$474
Agoda.com
Wai Ora Lakeside Spa Resort(Rotorua)(Great Value!)
US$138
US$114
Agoda.com
Prince's Gate Hotel(Rotorua)(Great Value!)
US$165
US$86
Best Western Braeside Rotorua(Rotorua)(Great Value!)
US$118
US$106
US$140
US$136
Orbitz.com
Cedarwood Lakeside(Rotorua)(Great Value!)
US$114
US$111
All reviewsfree pasta and ricefree pancakesmovie nighthot tubpub crawlfree wififree pool tablefree stuffcooking oilbeer pongsingle roomfantastic hostellaundry servicefree tea and coffeenew zealandcommunal areasmin walk
Reviewed 1 November 2011

We had a long wait when we tried to check in as noone was on reception and even though we signalled for some help it took ages to get some. The double room we had was right at the end of the hostel so nice and quiet but we had some bad rain and the room quickly became damp and gained some wet patches due to leaks somewhere.
Bathrooms were ok, kitchens ok both upstairs and downstairs but very annoying that you cant eat or drink in the rooms. Your not allowed to drink your own alcohol either, only the alcohol sold by the hostel but it takes too long to get any service that you wouldnt bother.
When we asked to watch the TV we were eventually shown how to switch it on (no batteries in remote and unplugged somewhere) but not shown how to change to SkyTV as he had wandered off again.
There is a hot tub you can jump into if you fancy and its a good distance to town and Pac n Save.

• Stayed: October 2011
2  Thank fruitloopy
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Staying over a quite period in Rotorua, this hostel is more like staying in a friendly house rather than accommodation. Well located, well heated by geothermal heating, a great lounge, dining room and kitchen, and a reception staff who are absolutely linked into the local area (to provide excellent recommendations on food, attractions, and onward travels). Couldn't say enough good about this place, and I have stayed at hostels around the world. The only thing I would say is the beds a very very soft, so if your staying in a dorm room, check out all the free beds to make sure your comfortable.

Room Tip: If your after a single private room i had room 4 next to reception, which was very spacious and had opening windows, and was right next to the toilet and showers.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 October 2011

Only in Roto for 2 nights and talked the others in staying in a Kiwi Backpackers, no regrets Help desk was helpful, put us onto good ativities & bar, close to town, went on Raft It with a few others, first time white water and great guides, good time around, I recommend it

Room Tip: Just got a dorm, all good
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 October 2011

We stayed 4 nights here.

Good points: Great staff, free rice and pasta every day, cheap, decent lounge area / selection of films / pool table, free BBQ usage, free spa, good location, very sweet dogs and cat that live there, and if you're on a budget like us there was a great list of 'free things to do' which was very useful.

Unfortunately I fell pretty ill during our stay so was unable to enjoy a lot of those things, so I will say,

Bad points: dreadful hygiene, our room can't have had a hoover round it for months, clothes that had been on the floor were covered in dust, the cutlery holder in the kitchen was quite disgusting, there were ants everywhere, bathroom, rooms, kitchen, all over the cutlery and cookers, did mention the problem but seemed it was only a half hearted attempt to rid of them, it is a real problem, I know how difficult it is to eradicate them completely. My suitcase was infested with them after picking up ants on my clothes from being in the bathroom. There was an insecticide block left right on the hobs, which was grubby, it was ineffective and probably not the safest way to get rid of ants from a kitchen. Obviously the hostel can't control how people conduct them selves, but on several occasions people used the kitchen sinks to wash their hands after being to the loo, and on several occasions people honked up in the kitchen sinks, which is obviously where you need to do your washing up. The kitchen is cleaned and towels changed just once a day, so you have sodden tea towels all day by the time a few people have washed their things.

I'm not someone who complains, or is fussy about accommodation, but I think hygiene is extremely important, especially in a hostel, and this is the only thing this hostel lacks.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2011

I stayed there one night, on 19th July.
My single room costed 35 NZD, and I think it was a good price. Room was clean, warm, spacious enough for the luggage, the bed confortable.
Bathrooms clean enough. Kitchen very clean. My room was close to kitchen, but, as other people already said, other guests behaved respectfully, so it was very silent at night or at early morning.
The hostel is close to city centre, and to the lake, in a quiet street.
The guy at the reception was really friendly.
If I have to find a downside, but it is really something which is not so important, and infact does not have an impact on my final evaluation, is that the sinks in the bathrooms were really small.
It's certainly a place I would recommend.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo