“Awesome stay!”

Ranked #13 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Awesome stay!”
Reviewed 27 March 2013

stayed here for one night in the queen spa suite on the 23rd of march with my boyfriend. We arrived an hour early before check-in and was checked in by Dean with no problems at all(we even got a free breakfast).
As we had nothing planned Dean was more than happy to give us some suggestions of things to do and see.
The rooms were very spacious, bigger than a standard hotel room, had a mini kitchen so if you decided to stay in and cook you had everything there
, bed was super comfy after being out all day and the bathroom with the spa was very big and very clean! because this motor lodge is off the main road we didn't hear any traffic noise at all or noise from the other rooms the were occupied next to us. Thank you Dean for being very helpful and informative, we rally enjoyed our stay here and will definitely stay here again if we're ever in rotorua.
sent from my iPhone

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
victoriaB62, Owner at BK's Rotorua Motor Lodge, responded to this review, 28 March 2013
Thank you "JennyN1010" for your wonderful comments. All our studio suites are of a generous size and the spa bath is just great for a soak at the end of the day. We are more than happy for our guests to arrive early, if the room is ready we are happy for an early check in. We are more than happy to advise on the "what to do" in Rotorua. We also offer a complimentary reservation service. We will look forward to your next visit. Regards Dean

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Finnish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 25 March 2013

Spent 4 wonderful days with plenty of things to do. This memorable stay was made possible by the service of the hosts of this motel. They greeted us warmly without fail every day and were very knowledgable of the area and what would be the most suitable activities for my family. Thanks and I would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
BKsRotorua, Owner at BK's Rotorua Motor Lodge, responded to this review, 25 March 2013
Thank you "Maree G" for taking the time to review your stay with us. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and we were able to offer advice on what Rotorua has to offer. Thank you Dean.
Reviewed 23 March 2013

Stayed two nights and it was fabulous! Clean comfortable well equiped rooms with everything we needed and more! Fantastic service from our hosts and LOVED our breakfast :) delivered with a smile! without a doubt one of the best accomodation places i have stayed at..and theres been a few! EXCELLENT 20 out of 10 !

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you "Nikkinco" for your comments. Wow a 20 out of 10. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us while you were in Rotorua and found our continental breakfast to your liking. We pride ourselves in the customer service we provide and your feedback indicates to us it is well recieved by our guests. Thank you and we loo forward to your next visit to Rotorua.
Adelaide
Reviewed 20 March 2013

I was lucky to spend 4 lovely nights at this superb motel. The managers greeted me warmly and highlighted some of the amazing sights in Rotorua. The location was perfect - close to shops and services, yet quiet and peaceful. The room was spacious and absolutely spotless, with plenty of power points to charge my mobile phone, my GPS, my laptop and my camera. I have stayed at some wonderful motels in New Zealand (and I am very fastidious) but this would have to be the best. My only regret was that there was so much to see in Rotorua that I did not spend enough time in this wonderful accommodation and, after long days of touring, it was heaven to come back and relax in a room that felt like home. The managers treated me like family and went out of their way to make my time in Rotorua very memorable. Thank you so much.

Room Tip: Always check the corners of the room. If the owners look after the parts of the room to which most p...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
11 Thank RenalRide
Thank you "Renalride" from Adelaide for your wonderful comments. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and found our room to your liking. It was great to see your excitement when you returned from your Canopy Tour. After your three action packed days here in Rotorua I hope your White Island Trip was not cancelled. Thank you for your positive comments. Regards Dean.
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 19 March 2013

Had a great recent stay at BK's Rotorua. Superb location, just across the car park from a supermarket and the main shopping streets. Very tidy room. Huge spa bath and a queen and two singles set-up which perfectly suited our group.

Dean was a great host. Great idea to deliver the continental breakfast the night before - means a good breakfast can be had and you can still head out for the day's events at 5.30am.

I recommend this one.

Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
victoriaB62, Owner at BK's Rotorua Motor Lodge, responded to this review, 24 March 2013
Thank you "JamesB" for your review. We are pleased you found the room to your liking and our location just across the road from the shops convenient for you. We have found by delivering the continental breakfast and placing in the units fridge the night before enables our guests to enjoy the breakfast at a time convenient to them, be it early or late. The offer for a free breakfast is still available, check out our hot deal above. We will look forward to your next visit. Thank You, Dean.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 13 March 2013

BK's Motor Lodge provided exactly what we had been looking for and what was promised (in contrast to the other place I just reviewed!). Everything worked - which is unfortunately not that common - and is very clean, and the owner/manager provided great service and good advice. The rooms are comfortable and quiet at night. I agree with the previous reviewer that the carpark is a bit cramped and you have to make sure that all (pre-booking) promised goodies are delivered, but there were no quibbles when we raised this.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
victoriaB62, Owner at BK's Rotorua Motor Lodge, responded to this review, 14 March 2013
Thank you "KJ7999" for your review of your stay with us. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and you found our rooms as we market them (photos on our website). Yes we do have a couple of car parks that are not ideal for larger vehicles, for that reason we do not allocate car parks to units. This method has worked well for us.
From time to time we change our offers and free inclusions with our rooms, we do our best to have everything ready at check-in and welcome a friendly reminder from our guests. Currently (March 2013) we are offering a complimentary continental breakfast with our studio suites when you booked directly with us via our website.
Regards
Dean
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 10 March 2013

I offer reviews with a focus on points that I feel need attention and/or that fellow travellers may find of interest, but understand that not all situations are fixable. That said, I'll try to also point out above average points.
We stayed at BK's Rotorua Motor Lodge from 24 Feb - 27 Feb 2013 (3 nights).
We were cheerfully greeted by Dean (I think that's his name - apologies if it is not) and although we were early, he assured us that it was not a problem and that we were not the first.
We were asked what we had planned for during our stay in Rotorua and Dean gave us some advice.
The room was clean and tidy. The layout was a little odd which Dean pointed out as well.
The TV faced the entry door/bed, but away from the two armchairs. We turned the TV cabinet 90 degrees so we could at least see the TV from the bed or dining table, but still couldn't be seen from the armchairs.
A problem we found during our trip to NZ was that at home we have a quality bed mattress and pillows. These were lacking at most places we stayed at, including here. I actually went out and bought a $20 pillow and pillowcase with the intention to dump it before flying home.
We were in the corner unit which, with the door open, you could see all the way down the carpark and most of the other units on the ground floor. Having the door open for ventilation made privacy not possible. Being summer, mid to high 20's degrees Celcius and no air conditioning, the unit is fairly warm during the day.
There is a ceiling fan over the bed, but it is noisy and disrupts sleep (if the heat doesn't).
Also, the rooms are smoke-free and the Motor Lodge has placed tables and chairs outside several of the units for smokers. However, being Asthmatic and sensitve to cigarette smoke this made this unit uncomfortable with the door open for ventilation (we had a smoker next door).
The bathroom, although large - it has a Spa Bath, lacked any place to put down our toiletries.
We placed a dining chair in the bathroom so we didn't have to put ours on the floor.
For tall guests, they might find the shower rose too low - as I did. As this unit has a 'shower-over-bath', there is a loss of height as you step in the the bath.
There is also no place to put liquid soap and shampoo/conditioner bottles in the shower.
Water pressure and temperature were good.
One thing I thought was great was the free 100MB of WiFi data included with the room. This was offered by the Zenbu.net.nz provider. A word of warning about using such services, make sure you set such networks to 'metered' (in Windows 8). Other operating systems need to have all automatic updates turned off, otherwise you'll chew through the data allowance in a flash - especially if your notebook has been offline for a while during your travels. Actually, connecting to the net was a little complicated with Windows 8, so be warned.
This brings up another point. You need to be assertive and ask for things that you may need (such as internet) or may be entitled to (such as our restaurant voucher).
We were told that although our booking (through another provider) entitled us to a $20 voucher for the Lone Star Restaurant, these are not given unless asked for.
Another negative was the $10 per washing load. Other hotels we stayed at charged only $2 and that was to cover the washing powder cost.
The carpark can get full and the parks are not allocated to rooms. I can understand that if another guest were to park in your park late at night, this could cause issues.
I have great confidence in manouvering a vehicle, but some of the parks around the periphery of this carpark are not easy to get into (or out of once in).
Besides the above, we felt BK's Rotorua Motor Lodge was good and fairly central to most attractions.
We were very pleased that a large (by NZ standards) shopping centre was only across the road, including department stores, a small 'food hall' and petrol station.
All staff we met were pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: I would suggest not to get the corner unit if you want privacy or have issues with cigarette smoke.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
BKsRotorua, Owner at BK's Rotorua Motor Lodge, responded to this review, 15 March 2013
Thank you 'Ernest R' for your review. WOW what detail. Yes you have got my name right "Dean" and I will try and respond to your comments as best I can but please forgive me if I miss one or two.

As with most accommodation properties there are rooms with ideal layout's and rooms that are not ideal, in the latter we need to make the most of what we have to work with. We agree with your comments that the room you had has an odd layout. On your arrival the TV and the recliner chairs were up against the same wall, as mentioned we do encourage you to move the furnishings around to suit your individual requirements. The shower rose, being tall I have the same problem as you but they are fitted at a standard height. A positive we take from this room is where the two beds are located, when you are in bed the other bed in the room is not visible. This almost gives you a second sleeping area in a studio suite. Our beds, we have a middle of the road mattress and pillows (5 in your room) that suit most people, pillows can be a personal item for some travelers.

We have had the most wonderful Summer, hot (25 to 26 degrees) and very little rain. Usually we only have a couple of weeks that are hot then the weather returns to normal. This year is good for the tourists but not the farmers. Thank you for alerting us to the noisy ceiling fan, this will be addressed in our maintenance programme. Our rooms have been designed to stay cool without the need for air conditioning. All or rooms are dedicated not smoking. We have allocated an area outside for smoking.

Yes I agree with you our water pressure is great. As mentioned we use Zenbu to monitor our internet., The beauty of this system is once you have used the allocated data it stops working, there is no risk of going over the allocated data and incurring a cost.

I do appologise for not supplying you with the $20.00 Lone Star Meal Voucher on your arrival. we regularly change our promotions and room inclusions and are now working on a better system to track the inclusions. For everyone please remind at check-in if we have missed something with a booking. The best deals are found on our home website at www.bksrotoruamotel.co.nz

We charge $10.00 for use of our guest laundry (wash and dry). This is for use of the laundry for the duration of your stay. On a three of four night stay you may do two or three washes. This represents value as we recently paid in excess of $10.00 for one wash & dry.

Yes we do have a couple of tighter car parks and it is for this reason I do not allocate a car park for each unit. Usually the person with the largest car would have theh room with the smallest car park. We do have 18 carparks available to us on site for our 16 units.

Once again thank you for your feedback, it sounds as though you enjoyed your stay with us here in Rotorua and we look forward to your next visit. I hope your family was able to make use of the Lone Star Voucher.