“YHA quality!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of YHA Rotorua

Como, Italy
“YHA quality!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with a group of friends for a couple of nights.

We stayed in a family room, which was spacious and clean.

The staff at reception was nice and helpful, the facilities were clean and the kitchen was big and quite new.

The room was a bit cold as it was June, but the blankets we had were warm enough for the night.

The location is pretty central and we could park right in front of the hostel.

Great value!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

We only stay for 1 night since we have to catch the flight in Auckland next day.
However, we'd like to spend more time here. The facility is quiet new and clean everywhere. The room is huge, though it doesn't have heater inside, but still warm enough. The staff is friendly and full of passion! It'll still be my choice if I come to Rotorua next time!

• Stayed May 2014
Hello Tarcy!

Thanks for your comments! I’m glad you enjoyed your stay, our friendly staff and the hostel! The reason you didn’t see a heater in your room is because the ground floor of the hostel has underfloor heating. That means your room is warm but you don’t actually see a ‘heater’. I hope you get the chance to visit again. All the best.

Norwich, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 4 nights originally and then 2 nights on my way back up NZ.

On my first stay I was put in one of the separate blocks closest to the main building, I was in a 6 bed dorm and quite frankly it was terrible.

All the beds were pretty much touching and there was next to no floor space whatsoever.. it was an obstacle course just getting over people's luggage.. there was one tiny window in the top right hand corner of the room and only one socket between 6 people.. the beds were pretty much made out of tin foil resulting in every movement making a horrible screeching noise.. when I first checked in I observed the "cleaners" changing the dirty beds and they only changed the bottom sheet leaving the pillow case and the top sheet on from the last guest.. the common room in these self contained blocks are quite decent with a nice little balcony and comfy sofas (but the tele didn't work), the showers are also decent impart from the annoyingly short timers on the lights. The one saving grace for this room was their was a lovely little russian girl who I subsequently got lucky with haha!

On my third night I was upgraded to a 3 a bed dorm in the main building, on the morning of the 3rd day I got up around 9.45 and started to cook breakfast.. the next thing I know a team of cleaners turned up and extremely rudely (putting it nicely) told me to leave because check out time was at 10. After explaining I wasn't actually checking out I was just moving rooms (not at my own request) I was told they don't care (again putting it nicely), they were shutting off the block and needed to clean it, I was told to throw my food in the bin. I didn't leave and I didn't throw my food in the bin but the thing that took the p*ss the most is the cleaners didn't return to the kitchen/common area for at least another hour!

The 3 bed dorm in the main building was much nicer (still only one socket) but like others have said this building is quite noisy (it didn't help there was 30+ man rugby team staying at the time). The showers and common area/kitchen are also decent but the tv area could do with being made bigger and more comfortable.

On my second stay I was in one of the self contained blocks again, this time the one furthest away from the main building. The facilities are exactly the same but this time the room was much nicer, I think there was 6 sockets and there was actually room to manoeuvre. The tv worked in here but the remote didn't.

it's a shame this place has so many downfalls considering the amount of money that must of been spent on it.. it could've been the perfect hostel!

the cleaners need retraining with people skills and need someone making sure they do their job properly.. (unless they're told to only change the bottom sheets on beds?)

There was a lovely helpful English girl on reception who I'll give a thumbs up to!

• Stayed July 2013
Hi there,

Thanks for your feedback. I’m sorry you didn’t thoroughly enjoy your stay with us. Our rooms are cleaned professionally every day, with fresh linen provided on the beds for each new guest.

I appreciate your feedback in regards to the customer service being variable, we do try to be consistent at all times and with all staff, so I will give a reminder to the team to follow up on this.

I’m sorry to hear the TV and remote weren’t working for you. If there’s ever anything you’re not satisfied with in your room, our reception staff are always happy to help.

Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

Although I'm not a YHA member (yet), but I'm officially a fan and Rotorua YHA delivered the same familiar service/experience. It's very clean, comfortable and the people are just lovely.

We checked-in rather late and Alex made sure our check-in was smooth and very quick. The room, the common bathroom, to the kitchen were spotless and everyone was very kind to make sure the hostel stays clean.

It's nicely located within the town and all tourist destinations/souvenir shops/other shops were just a short drive away from it. The price of the room was also very good. At least 3 families (with children) also stayed there when we were there - so it really is a very good choice for accommodation not only for backpackers but also for families on holidays. 10/10 for Rotorua YHA!

Room Tip: Please do bring your own extension sockets as they are maybe only 2 (max.) sokects in each room.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Buenos Aires, Argentina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

As every time YHA provided an affordable, clean, quiet and professional stay at Rotorua too. Lots of clean bathrooms and a espectacular kitchen where available as usual at any YHA.. I didn't expect less. Our room was kind of noisey, as there was a big machine (not sure what kibd) working intermittently during the night and it made a lot of noise.

The bedroom had only 4 beds, one mirror, 4 hooks for our jackets and nothing else. No place to put anything, not even below our beds. It would be much better if at least we had a little table, a closet... or something to put our things.

Me and my friends got the impression that this YHA in particular is not the best place to meet people as the common area is not so inviting. The kitchen is right next to it and the sound of the fridge makes the atmosphere feel like a retirement village.

Anyway. .. I recommend it, we had a nice experience.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

YHA Rotorura is in a great location. Close to the I-Site and near to food courts, shops etc. The staff were really nice and great in helping me and my friend when our pick up to Tamaki was late. However, due to the hostel being so big it's very impersonal. The service is good but not amazing. The rooms are clean but noisy. In short, it's a good place to stay for a reasonable price but don't expect anything amazing.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

My twin ensuite room was clean and near the kitchen on ground floor, My bed was comfortable but the shower was not that great. The staff were friendly at the reception and helped me with directions, wifi.I did not use the kitchen, the girls next to my room had too much to drink and they were singing till late. Then at 3 am, people passing by, leaving the hostel maybe for the airport were very noisy and I found it difficult to sleep after that.

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Smeets P
Hello,

Thank you for your feedback. It’s unfortunate your sleep was interrupted during your stay. We do work hard to keep noise to a minimum. The nature of hostelling is such that there are always other guests with different schedules and different ideas of reasonable noise levels. That’s why we have a night staff member on site. I’ll be sure to review with our night staff how to speak with noisy night guests. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay overall. Happy travels!