“DISRESPECTFUL AND UNPROFFESSIONAL”

Ranked #16 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
North Shore, Auckland, New Zealand
“DISRESPECTFUL AND UNPROFFESSIONAL”
Reviewed 31 January 2012

I stayed at this hotel last weekend and will never go back. Through out my two night stay I was judged for the way I looked, followed through the hotel when arriving back at night, a friend who had dropped me back to my room was told to 'leave and not come back' and to top off this extremely unprofessional behaviour I came out of my shower in a towel to find the male owner in my room trying to 'inspect' it. I was absolutely horrified and ordered him to leave immediately. The hotel had my credit card details and were more then welcome to do an inspection on the room AFTER I had checked out if they were worried about it. I have stayed in many hotels especially in Rotorua and have never once been treated with disrespect or unprofessionally like I was treated at Emerald Spa Resort. I have made other reviews on websites which advised me to make a complaint to the Motel Association, which i did do but unfortunately this hotel does not belong to that association.

3 Thank Abbi_c
RotoruaRata, Owner at Emerald Spa Motor Inn, responded to this review, 21 May 2012
Thank you for the feed back of your stay over th RAGAMUFFIN MUSIC FESTIVAL WEEKEND. As hosts, it is utmost importance to us to provide a comfortable and relaxing stay for ALL of our guests. This means we take noise complaints and concerns about unauthorised guests staying on the property very seriously. As we had a number of complaints, about loud music from vehicles parked in the courtyard, excessive amounts of alcohol being consumed along with smoking of cannabis in the courtyard outside your units. We made a decision to man the gate because of the number of youngsters visiting the concert guests. We received a number of concerns from other in-house guests about whether we were able to keep the situation and noise under control. With the number of people we turned away from entering the property between 10pm to 2.20am it was obvious to us that you planned to make our motel party central. Your partner invited us into your unit to do an inspection,we were not aware that you were in the bathroom.We are sorry your stay with us was not as you hoped it to be, I guess we are more geared toward families,and business travellers and other guest otherwise seeking an upmarket stay and it sounds like our property was not a good match for the ragamuffin music experience you were seeking.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I was absolutly disgusted with the way my friends and I were treated upon arrival and our stay at Emerald Spa hotel. One of the first things they said to us was "I hope you children aren't going to cause any trouble" instead of 'welcome to our motel' and apart from the fact we are all well into our 20's. We were basically stalked the 2 days we stayed there ranging from the owner looking out the blinds at us or just generally always there when you turned around. I found this extremely uncomfortable as i am not used to being made to feel like a criminal. SO if your thinking of staying at the emerald spa you should probally reconsider if you are : Under 30, White, Maori, Pacific Island or Have any tattoos and want to have a good time.

3 Thank celia_att
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 29 January 2012

From the moment we walked in the door to check in, these hosts were unprofessional, disrespectful and rude! They took one look at us and assumed we were going to trash their rooms. They were so judgemental before giving us a chance. Even saying comments like "Don't go trashing our rooms". The man host walked around stalking everybody all weekend. Even standing at the gate till early hours of the morning to interrogate anybody coming home to their hotel and accusing us of not having a room here because he couldn't remember all our faces. To top it all off, 10 minutes before check out my friend walks out of the bathroom wearing just a towel only to find the male owner standing in her room trying to inspect the room. That is just disgusting! She then had to demand him to get out so she could put some clothes on.
After all this offensive behaviour, we had given them NO trouble the whole weekend!
I would NOT recommend this hotel to anybody under the age of 50. If you look young, they will assume you are going to be trouble and treat you like your below them.

4 Thank Alina T
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 27 January 2012

I travelled with my wife and two children and stayed in a one bedroom unit. On arrival we were provided with pleasant personal service, the rooms were modern, sparking clean and tidy. The kids loved the pool and having a TV in each room was handy and the beds were comfy. Great staff and very accommodating, all of them acknowledged us, they were all friendly (including the cleaning ladies) and always happy to strike up a conversation. This motel meets and exceeded our expectations and we will definitely stay there again sometime soon. Athough there were slightly cheaper places to stay we found by spending a little extra provided us with so much more, this motel represents great value and well worth a stay - highly recommended!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Steve I
Auckland
Reviewed 15 December 2011

What a pleasant experience staying here. The owners understand the concept of providing a great experience with absolutely sparkling clean units through to the little welcome basket on arrival and personally taking their guests to the room to show how everything works and putting the milk in the fridge for you. They are a 4 star self rated MOTOR INN (not a HOTEL so unlike what one of the reviewers concerns as below, they are well within this standard for a motor inn). The spa baths fill very quickly and are hot and lovely to soak in for ages! I would highly recommend staying here as the owners are professional and obviously experienced tourism operators with high standards.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank baydolphin
manchester
Reviewed 11 November 2011

Very accomodating hosts. Friendly and helpful. Rooms were clean and comfy and the spa was a great treat.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Napier, New Zealand
Reviewed 9 November 2011

We stayed in a studio room which had an ensuite( with toilet, vanity (basin) and shower). There was an in-room large round spa which you fill yourself.
Bed was comfortable.
Hosts friendly.
Lovely rooms and amenities. Room was roomy.
Motel has a heated outside swimming pool. Saw some children using it. Looked clean and they enjoyed it.
Motel is about a minute by car to CBD and lake.
Would recommend