“Worth the wait?”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Elixir Cafe

Elixir Cafe
Cuisines: Cafe, New Zealand
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Elixir Cafe -your daily fix. Every morning our muffins, cakes and biscuits are made fresh for you by our trained bakers and taste tested by our front of house staff. Our dedicated baristas are committed to coffee greatness were only the very best coffee is served. Our kitchen where possible uses fair trade, locally sourced, sustainable and free range products. Our qualified chefs have an all consuming passion for food, using a simple combination of fresh ingredients, providing you with an experience of home away from home.
Nambour
“Worth the wait?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

The lowing rating is sad really because the food and the coffee is lovely. But the service is painfully slow. I've seen people walk out on more than one occasion after sitting for 20 minutes without any acknowledgment from the staff at all and the restaurant wasn't busy at all. As I write this, one couple who sat down before me 30 minutes ago just walked having not even been asked for ask much as a drink and my menu just arrived. If you manage to order the food comes out quickly and is lovely. IF YOU GET TO ORDER.

Either the floor staff need training or they shouldn't offer table service.

If you're on any sort of time limit walk on by. If you've got time to kill, the food and coffee are ok. Just a shame the service lets it down.

Visited January 2014

“Excellent coffee and food.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

One of the previous reviews mentioned the best coffee in town. Although I was in town on business and not a local, I can appreciate a statement like that can be exaggerated. This is not the case. The coffee here is amazing.
The big selling point for me: the coffee here is served at the right temperature rather than scolding hot, which I cannot stand.

I had the Eggs Benedict with Salmon on the English muffins and it was exactly what I was looking for. Nice work Elixir!

I was so impressed I came back twice in the same week and I will return on my next visit to New Plymouth.

Visited November 2013
Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand
“Good lunch cafe”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

I have had lunch at Elixir a couple of times, when traveling for work. The food and service is good. This is a casual but reliable place to eat.

• Visited September 2013
New Plymouth, New Zealand
“Eat where it's busy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013

There are a couple of basic rules about choosing a place to eat: 1) How busy is it? 2) What do the locals recommend?
Elixir in New Plymouth scored highly on both counts when we were looking to try somewhere different for lunch.
And the rules didn't let us down. The food here is very well prepared. My Thai pork and shrimp won tons and cress salad was superb, while Lin's tarakihi was beautifully presented in a wrought iron stand. I pinched a chip and a bite of the fish and they were excellent.
Fresh oil is used for cooking at this cafe, which is vital if you don't want to leave with a greasy taste lingering in your mouth. It's surprising how many restaurants don't understand how important that is.
The only complaint I have is the amount of time - nearly 10 minutes - it took to pay the bill. There appeared to be a problem with the system, so maybe it was a one off. It meant a queue built up for a while, but the friendly waitress watched out for new arrivals (same queue) and ensured they were seated quickly.
It's the little things...

• Visited May 2013
Palmerston North, New Zealand
“A bit of a disappointment”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2013

As a regular visitor to New Plymouth I eat out regularly. Elixir came highly recommended so I tried it out. First visit was fine and I enjoyed the food. Subsequent visits however have not been that pleasant. Food is always great but service disappointing. One 3 consecutive occasions I have been treated with indifference by staff. Very little conversation and offhand service. One occasion I was ordering my food and noticed the staff member was gazing at a neighbouring group. I finished my order and it had been missed completely and I had to repeat it.
I have to say although the food is great being made to feel an imposition didn't sit well so I went shopping and have found another place where I get great food and personable people serve you

• Visited January 2013