“Remarkable Experience”

Price range: US$11 - US$25
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I visited Salt for dinner last night and had the pleasure of experiencing their new Winter menu which I understand has been developed by their new head chef from the UK. What a remarkable experience the whole evening was. We had entree, main and shared the desert platter and there are no faults. The meals were “fun” and really clever. The chef is clearly incredibly skilled and passionate about what he is doing and this is reflected on each plate he puts out. It was so nice to also see that the rest of the team have bought into this passion and love the menu they are selling. In my eyes, Salt has re-established itself as one of the very top restaurants in Taranaki and I will absolutely be going back. Eating out should not just be about filling your stomach…it’s an appreciation of the whole experience – the food, the service, the atmosphere. Salt has nailed it.

Mark D, Manager at Salt Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Hello and thank you for choosing to dine at Salt.
We are all very excited you had such a nice evening from start to finish and thought so highly of the Food, service and flavors the menu offers.
I must say it is "fun"and the Pate certainly is amazing! You would think its a peice of fruit.
Every one on the team is excited and the passion has been reignited.
Thank you again - we hope to see you again some time.
Best wishes
The Salt Team!

Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

I've always loved this restaurant. It has a lovely atmosphere and the good is always to a great standard better yet the view is absolutely amazing. The prices are reasonable and I've never had a bad thing to say about the service from start to finish. A lovely way to view the best of New Plymouth :)

1  Thank Lizzieh081
Mark D, Manager at Salt Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2014

Thank you so much for your frequent custom and great feedback. We certainly are excitied you enjoy coming to Salt Restaurant.
Best regards - The Salt Team!

Reviewed 10 May 2014

We had not dined at SALT for some time, so were thrilled to be invited, along with some other friends, last night. We were told that the food was esquisite by someone in our group. What a great night it was. Jason, our waiter was simply fantastic, so attentive and courteous; he was really nice. Everyone in our group was delighted with their meals, they were presented beautifully. We were all 'treated' to a small portion of carrot soup prior to starting our dining experience. My only feedback would be that both my meals, could have been a little warmer (almost cold when served), however I feel the quality of the food presented and the service provided, far outweighed this, but it is worth mentioning. Thank you for a wonderful night's dining.

Mark D, Manager at Salt Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2014

Thank you for the wonderful feedback. Very happy you had such a great experience with your friends in Salt. Jason and the team will be delighted with your comments.
I will advise the kitchen about the temperture of the meals, very sorry about this.
We are releasing our new menu on the 15th May.
We would love to host you again some time.
best regards
The Salt Team.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

The shared seafood platter was amazing value for money and cooked to perfection. We were pleasantly surprised that it was a dish that care had been taken with rather than just fry and forget. The mains were well executed and had polish and were served by a Canadian that read the table well and showed us a great time. We also loved the time taken by all the staff to share their passion for the area, local pride is wonderful!
To top it off, as Aucklanders we laughed they gave us some Jafa's with the coffee. Awesome ;)

Mark D, Manager at Salt Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Thank you so much for choosing Salt as your venue.
We are very pleased you had a nice experience. The seafood platters are very good - we have alot of great feedback with them.
Your Waiter was Mackenzie from Canada - I will pass your review to him, he will be wrapped!
Best wishes - The Salt Team.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

It's been a while since we have eaten here and back then it was very average but at fine dining prices. I'm not sure how long the current chef has been in residence but we thought we would give it a go (especially as the neighboring Arborio restaurant was over run with noisy children). To put it simply, we were not disappointed.

The service was excellent, the ambiance was lovely and the food was simply delicious. About the only complaint is that a few vegetables with my duck special would have been nice, but the flavours were superb. My wife and I shared a starter (the duck pate was excellent). I also strongly recommend saving room for the desert sharing sharing platter.

I shall definitely be returning again as everything contributed to an excellent evening of fine dining, excellent service, and not bad for $165 (shared starter, 2 mains, shared desert platter, bottle of wine).

1  Thank Superpear
Mark D, Manager at Salt Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Thank you greatly for your positive words, and thank you for choosing to dine at Salt Restaurant once again.
Our pricing is very much inline with all other popular restaurants in New Plymouth.
We have had our new head chef now for only a few days and we will be releasing his new menu aorund mid May. We have certainly taken your comments on board about the veges and we will be imputting this on the new menu, it seems this is what the consumer wants so we will deliver.
Thank you again, we are very pleased you enjoyed your evening - We would love to see you back some time soon.
Best regards - The Salt Team