“Family friendly dining”

The Devon Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #8 of 30 Hotels in New Plymouth
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

A recently refurbished to a very high standard hotel and conference centre. Marbles buffet has extensive menu and choices great for families but is not fine dining . Overpriced for the buffet option. Nice bars and public areas . Good conference venue.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Peter T, Owner at The Devon Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Thanks for joining us.
Our award winning buffet is one of the country's most popular dining experiences. We also have a number of other dining opportunities, including a quick and affordable lighter snacks.
Hope to see you back with us soon.

Reviewed 27 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with my parents and five year old daughter. This wasn't my first choice but we chose to come on the weekend of the round the mountain bike race and booked really late so didn't have a lot of choice! My parents had a room at the front of the hotel with a double bed (841). The rooms here have been refurbished and are quite nice - the corridors around them have not yet been finished. However, the noise of the work didn't bother them.
My daughter and I shared a room at the back with two double beds 705). These rooms have not yet been redone and they could really do with it. Neither room had much storage and our room at the back did allow some sound from the interconnecting room next door.
The pool really benefited from a day of hot sunshine but there is a very warm spa pool if the other pool is too cold for you.
There is a restaurant on site with buffet breakfast and evening meal. We did not eat evening meal here as two of us don't eat much and I didn't think we would get value for money.
Probably a little to far to comfortably walk into town for a meal but there are a couple of bars fairly close.
In summary, a good base for a non self catering couple of nights.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank nzworkingmum
Peter T, Owner at The Devon Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Thanks - hope to look after you next time you are up our way.
Yes, the new lift is almost complete next to your parents room. Also, we have a delicious menu, if you are wanting a lighter snack or meal.
We really appreciate the feedback.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

A business trip has had me staying at The Devon Hotel for a week. Room service breakfast was appalling, no butter or margarine served with toast, staff had to return with milk for cereal and yoghurt was warm, gave up in the end and had coffee at local cafe. Dinner not much better, lamb shanks and mash dry and tasteless. I outlined my displeasure to the person at reception and got no response and have had no response since.

Room Tip: Corner room good size but felt unfinished, perhaps part of the renovations underway at present?
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Peter T, Owner at The Devon Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Thanks Mr Pugh,
My duty manager had briefed me on your discussions. I am sorry that the issues raised were not addressed to your satisfaction.
Your department plays a significant role in the future of this region and country, and its important to me and my team that you are able to relax and be well looked after whilst you (and your colleagues) are in New Plymouth.
Again my apologies.
Peter Tennent
The Devon Hotel

Reviewed 11 January 2014

Spent 2 nights here was clean and tidy staff were friendly.The restaurant was great even though they were fully booked the managed to accommodate us even though we had to sit in the bar to eat..
the swimming pool could do with a bit of work ..and no flannels in the room was a new one for us when asked we were told that people bring there own well not us but it was sorted.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Peter T, Owner at The Devon Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Chris,
Thanks for joining us, and for the feedback.
Hope to see you back soon.
Kind regards,
Peter Tennent

Reviewed 6 January 2014

let me say i have stayed at the devon many times before and usually find it an ok place to stay. In this instance I stayed in room 722 and the room next to me is all boarded up and is a construction area. I came back to my room during the day to be greeted by drilling into concrete on the opposite side of the wall along with timber being cut and smashed with sledge hammers ( i know this sound as i work in construction) Now what really amazed me was why you would let that room at all? not exactly a restful stay in general. and when i checked out not i was not even asked how my stay was! i wonder if the look on my face gave it away.

Room Tip: avoid 722 at this stage
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Peter T, Owner at The Devon Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Thanks Mr Bunyan - we appreciate the feedback. With the construction of the new lift, we have restricted building to the hours of 10.00am to 5.00pm.....with all works to stop if we have guests conferring or sleeping during those hours in close proximity. I'm really sorry, we did not pick up on the issue. We are thrilled works are almost complete on the new lift, but absolutely committed to ensuring our guests are well looked after. Again, my apologies!!

Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

Overall a nice place to stay. Complimentary bikes were great and few mins to the coastal walkway. Hotel looks fresh and new, bar woman was very friendly. Value for money was good. Room had nice big telly in it. Only thing which may make us think again was the pool and spa which seemed a bit dirty and needed some TLC. Spa has rusty bits in the corners so just the appearance lets it down a little.

Stayed: December 2013
Peter T, Owner at The Devon Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2013

Thanks for joining us, and for the feedback. I'm thrilled you enjoyed your stay, and it sounds like you experienced some of our cocktails in the bar - excellent!
Hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

For what they charge, the room is far too small, the meals are not good, I paid $150 for half a room. I ordered room service for dinner, soup and chicken bresat with salad, the soup was bland the chicken was dry and the salad was fairly pathetic and came with no dressings. Won't stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013
Peter T, Owner at The Devon Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Ouch - thanks for the feedback. I shall go through with my team.