“Good access to town centre”

Copthorne Hotel Grand Central New Plymouth
Ranked #13 of 30 Hotels in New Plymouth
Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

Excellent staff in reception and the restaurant. As others have stated, the layout is a little strange but the corridors are well signposted. They could do with redecorating as they don't give a good first impression. Especially the section running from the hotel to the restaurant where you get the impression that you are entering through the basement.

My room was excellent and certainly not what I was expecting after the corridors.

For dinner in the restaurant I had the fish of the day, which was pan fried gurnard and was cooked to perfection. My compliments to the chef. The cooked breakfast was good but I would have preferred a little more on the plate.

• Stayed: August 2013
ResmanagerGCH, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Grand Central New Plymouth, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

Thank you for your comments about our team and rooms.
We do have a refurbishment plan in place. Last year we replaced the carpets and furniture in the rooms and we are looking to do the carpets in the hallways next.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

My husband and I have just spent two nights here. First time at the Copthorne in New Plymouth. Lovely rooms, decor etc all in ex condition. Excellent range of items supplied, sewing kit, cutton buds, shampoo etc. Very impressed. Bed was very comfortable. Only downside was room we were in (322) had a bit of traffic noise from early approx 5.30 each morning. Traffic going to work. Other times didn't really notice it at all. Staff were all very welcoming, both in reception and restaurant where we had buffet breakfast each monring. Good range available, a little different from other places, where you chose from the menu for hot part of buffet and rest was on table. Great anyway. It was nice to step outside and be able to walk to town in a few mins, or the Coastal Walkway another few minutes. Very central. Would definitely stay here again. And free parking, some of it undercover.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
ResmanagerGCH, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Grand Central New Plymouth, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2013

Thank you for your positivie feedback. New Plymouth is a lovely place to visit and we look forward to seeing you again if you get the chance to return.

Reviewed 30 June 2013

Staff were fantastic! Stacy in reception & Sam from room service - thank you!
My concerns were: the smell in the bathroom coming from either the drains or toilet was just horrible, so much so, I asked to be moved to another room (which, I have never had to do). The cleanliness in the bathroom wasn't that great either (toilet still dirty & floor surrounding), shame as I was rather looking forward to having a spa bath. The lovely reception lady obviously knew there was a problem, as she came up to the room armed with a sanitiser/deodorizer spray, so do they actually have an underlying issue and are still choosing to let the room out!?
For the overall price I paid ($160), I would not return again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Toni2013roadtrip
ResmanagerGCH, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Grand Central New Plymouth, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2013

With any comment or complaint from a guest regarding a smell or cleaniness we at the Hotel take a proactive approach to amend any issues the first time. Being armed with equipment that may be required is our be organised approach to ensure a guest stay has little disruption.

Reviewed 25 May 2013

Rooms were pleasant enough, quiet except for the thunderstorm that came through that night and rattle the windows. In the city which makes it easy to walk around, good food is also nearby. I rarely eat at the hotel I stay at. It's a me thing.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business

Thanks for the comments. I hope on your next visit the weather will be better.

Reviewed 14 May 2013

A bit of a comedy of errors, is the best way to describe my stay at the Grand Central. The hotel is a bit of a rabbit warren, but the corridors are signposted and newly decorated, so I suppose that is something. I walked past all the 200 rooms on the second floor only to find room 229 (?) on the 3rd floor - go figure. The room was tidy and fairly recently refurbished, however when I arrived there was a foul smell coming from the bathroom (possibly through a floor vent). A liberal spray of Ralph Lauren Blue fixed that problem. The only natural light in the room came from a little square window, so high up I couldn't see out of it (see my photo). I liken the room to a prison cell in an attic. After having a shower, every 10 minutes for the next 40 minutes a motor went off for about 10 seconds. It sounded like the spa bath and the first time it gave me the fright of my life. On ringing reception to report a maintenance issue I was told it was the self cleaner on the spa bath. A notice on the wall would have alerted me to this. I went to order room service and the auto dial on the phone didn't work, so was transferred via reception. The next morning when trying to order breakfast the receptionist cut me off 3 times when transferring then called me back to say she was having problems and gave me the extension, which was still incorrect. Finally i noticed the room service number was noted on a complimentary slip with the newspaper, but in frustration and now running late, I ended up flagging breakfast. All in all, a memorable stay, but not one I would repeat.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
ResmanagerGCH, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Grand Central New Plymouth, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2013

Our Hotel is located over 4 floor and as you identified clearly labeled for guests. The window in the room you were allocated was small but we are unable to have a larger one due to Fire Safety Regulation. The spa baths do a self clean 3 times after use, this is also indciated on the bathroom wall. Our new receptionist obviously had trouble with transfering your call and is now confident in transfering calls.

Reviewed 9 May 2013

Enjoyable stay, great location for walking around the city. Very friendly staff who were most helpful. Our room was spacious with all amenities, and had a nice view looking out to sea. Restaurant was very good for both dinner and breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view if available.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Thanks for the feedback. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us

Reviewed 9 April 2013

I was travelling with work and this hotel was booked on my behalf. I have to say I wont be going back. The layout of the hotel is very strange and it is confusing to get to the rooms and resturant etc. The room I was given was pretty run down and very noisy. I guess its not the quality i have come to expect from the Copthorn brand.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
ResmanagerGCH, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Grand Central New Plymouth, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2013

Our hotel is over 4 levels in which the hallways and lifts all have signs to advise direction.

The hotel rooms have recently been recarpeted and have had new desks and cabinets.

Our location is inner city so normal noise levels of a city can be apparent.