“good find”

Price range: US$7 - US$22
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Authentic Chinese Cuisine in the heart of New Plymouth. From delicious stir fried dishes to the traditional Peking duck, we hope you enjoy the relaxed dining experience. Large group bookings and functions are welcomed. Please come in and see us and we can also make a menu to cater functions. The Restaurant is also BYO (charges apply)
Reviewed 25 September 2013

choose this restaurant for our last dinner in NZ before heading home.
it was opposite the hotel we were staying in & somehow we had avoided chinese the whole trip.
I read some of the negative reviews from locals & (at least from our experience) I disagree - this was a good authentic chinese meal.
Staff were pleasant & helpful & the large servings were certainly excellent value
we ordered a noodle dish, salt & garlic tofu & a plate of crispy skin pork with hoisin sauce.
all dishes were very good & the tofu in particular the standout.
my partner is chinese - we eat chinese regularly & this was good honest chinese food.
I thinks the locals are lucky to have this place.

Reviewed 31 August 2013

I went with a group of around 15 people. The waitress had misunderstood what i wanted and gave me the wrong meal. She was very apologetic and the meal was given to me for free. I had a bite of my friends noodles and could be the best noodles i have ever had, hands down. Im not a fan of asian food either. My own food wasnt the best but I gave to my friend and she thought it was very nice and well worth the price.

Reviewed 14 July 2013

My partner and I had taken advantage of an advertised special offer from this restaurant and had booked a table for two at a fixed time well in advance. However, when we arrived it was "Sorry, all small tables booked" Really? We were then shown to a huge rickety circular table surrounded by ten chairs. Not the ideal welcome. And to make matters worse, the place was freezing cold. Even the solitary waiter was dressed in a bulky puffer jacket.

Further surprises were in store, as the advertised offer was only for a very limited menu. Two choices for soup and about 8 for the main course which when analysed seemed all to be a variation on a single theme - chicken or beef with rice My partner ordered the Sweet Corn soup, I asked for the Hot Spicy soup which was neither hot nor spicy, a glutinous stock, reminiscent of partly melted jelly, with cubed tofu as the main ingredient.

For the main, we both ordered the Spicy Chicken, which unsurprisingly was not spicy at all, but tasted overwhelmingly of soy sauce. It was obvious that the servings of rice had been sitting on the plate for a very long time before the wok-fried food was added, having developed a hard inedible shell. The dish consisted of shredded chicken in sauce with part-cooked onion. The portions were adequate enough, and my partner managed to eat a good amount of hers. I was not so adventurous.

I make some allowances for the meal being a 'special offer' and perhaps the full menu would create a far different impression, But to me, this does not excuse poor customer service. The public catering business in Taranaki is highly competitive, and the Laughing Buddha has a long way to go.

Reviewed 1 June 2013 via mobile

Went in for takeaway. service was good. Staff were happy to advise on menu options. Accommodated Peking duck for takeaway.

1  Thank Tommo-naki
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Recently went to Laughing Buddha as a group of four. We waiting for 1 hour for two meals to come out and another 30 mins for the other two to come out. They had forgotten them??? and there were no apologies. On top of that the food was very average. Wont be back again.