“Supurb Cuisine and lovely atmosphere and staff”
Review of Kathakali

Kathakali
Ranked #5 of 164 Restaurants in New Plymouth
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: New restaurant
“Supurb Cuisine and lovely atmosphere and staff”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Having visited many Indian restaurants, this one tops the lot. My wife and I were very impressed with the South Indian Kerala cuisine and found it difficult to choose from the extensive menu. We're looking forward to coming back to try some of the other dishes. Service was impeccable, friendly. The waiters made us feel very welcome and were very helpful in explaining each dish. Warm hand towels were a very nice touch to conclude our meal.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank harryandtrudy

Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Yes, it is that good!”
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

We had a tradition south Indian masala dosa, an unusual Syrian origin lively dry beef in caramelised coconut and a chicken biriyani. Each was stunning. The biriyani has a beautiful scent of rosewater and a range of discrete flavours. A memorable meal for all the right reasons. The service was happy and knowledgeable. The tabes and decor were lovely. The wines were suitable for an indian meal. The best Indian meal I've had in New Zealand and not a tandoor to be seen!

Visited May 2014
Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
“More than just a dining experience”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Having been away from New Plymouth for some time I was surprised to be invited to join old friends for a meal in a new [to me] Indian restaurant as I thought the town was already very well catered for in this cuisine. How wrong I was. Specialising in the cuisine of Kerala, a state in the southwest of India, the name Kathakali comes from the traditional dance/drama of the area and literally means 'Story-Play' and the bill of fare presented was totally unlike anything I'd come across before. The breads, the subtle flavours, the spices, the combinations, were all superb and left this diner wanting to return to sample more of their enticing menu. Every dish was explained in detail, some had their history detailed as well - always a bonus.

The service was out of this world. The charming staff, all from the Kerala area, were eager to please, spent ages patiently explaining anything we wanted to know about an item on the menu and helping us make a selection, and, when asked, delighted in telling us about their homeland of which they were obviously very proud.

There was a large TV on one wall screening a non-stop video showing scenes from Kerala including the dancing with its elaborate make-up and costumes [no sound to distract us]. We were exceptionally fortunate to have amongst our group someone who had actually visited the region and had spent a night on a houseboat similar to one that was shown in the film.

One of our group was a little worried as Indian food wasn't his cuisine of choice and we were concerned when he ordered 'medium' rather than 'mild' but he went away a very happy diner.

At the end of the evening one of our delightful hosts bid each of us farewell as we went on our way. We had been made to feel more like welcome guests than restaurant diners. What more could we want?

• Visited May 2014
Warlingham, United Kingdom
“Ranking fully deserved”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

My wife and I were accompanied by our son and 2 of his friends and all were delighted by the range and quality of the dishes we sampled. As a life long devotee of Indian food I was impressed by the authentic quality of the cooking and the thoughtful menu. The service also was excellent.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank RHK30
Christchurch, New Zealand
“On a High”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

There was a buzz in this restaurant the night I attended ( solo diner). Both customers and staff were on a high for being the Trip Advisor top rated restaurant in New Plymouth. While I am sure there are other equally good restaurants in New Plymouth there is no doubt Kathakali deserve the accolades - a lovely (though not very extensive) menu of South Indian dishes - (so very good for vegetarians), friendly and attentive staff, spacious dining area. It seems to be drawing in a number of customers giving Indian cuisine a go for the first time and the waiter was quick to make helpful suggestions to such a group on the night I was there.

• Visited April 2014